Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/06/2006, 03:43 PM
In the undertow

Pick an angel, any angel

What's your favorite angel? Why? Please post pics if you have them.

I'm working on a stock list for my 180. I have a lot of ideas about it (as seen in my other thread), but right now the only definites are 1 flame hawkfish, 1 magnificent foxface, and some manner of trigger (picasso or niger) or trigger pair (crosshatch, pinktail, or blue chin). I think I would like to include an angel or two if possible.
Old 09/06/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

What about a puffer?
Old 09/06/2006, 04:31 PM
In the undertow

I have considered getting a puffer... would you recommend one in particular? The mappa is beautiful but WAY too pricey.
Old 09/06/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

I love the dog face puffer i picked up the other day, great little guy to watch, although he's taking out all my corals -_-

So far though he has a great personality, which i'd recommend for the FOWLR setup, i'm even considering breaking down my whole reef so i can home just him and a few other fish
Old 09/06/2006, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Emperor angel
Old 09/06/2006, 07:18 PM
living life 2 the fullest

BlueFace angel by far.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/06/2006, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

emperor & queen are my 2 favorites
Old 09/06/2006, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Majestic or Annularis are my two pics.
Old 09/07/2006, 12:15 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

For a 180 I would stick to the angels that dont get huge and choose one that stays under 12". That still gives you quite a few to pick from. If it were my tank I would look at the Meridithi, majestic, goldflake, or bluestripe. These are all fairly hardy and stay smaller than Pomacanthus or Holacanthus angels. I picked a flagfin for my 180, another angel that stays fairly small but these can be very touchy and the other species I mentioned are much hardier.
Old 09/07/2006, 09:31 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Majestic. Had one for many years in a FO tank. Great fish!

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/07/2006, 09:44 AM
In the undertow

Thanks, all. The majestic looks really beautiful - that one is going at the top of my list.

Aquia, I'll think about the dogface - they are really cute, and I love the stories about their personalities. My main hesitation with him is that I don't want too many messy eaters. Also I'm not sure how he'd do with something as aggressive as a Picasso trigger, and/or the harlequin tusk that I'm also considering.

Kahuna Tuna, thanks for the input. I definitely want something hardy, and I agree about the size issue... I was thinking about building my tank around a panther grouper, but even though the book I have says a 180 is fine for one, it also says they can get to 27"! I just don't think a fish that's 1/3 the length of my tank would look right or be totally happy. I don't want any fish that will look or feel cramped.
Old 09/07/2006, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

I also say Majestic. I have a 6" one in my 200 with the Koran and he is pretty cool.

Bill
Old 09/07/2006, 07:47 PM
Keeper of Tangs

a majestic or emperor would both be great fish to have
Old 09/08/2006, 01:00 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Its hard to argue against the majestic. They are hands down the best Pomacanthus or Holacanthus for a 180 and they are drop dead beautiful to boot. Probably the only knock on them is they aren't as predictably hardy as some of the other angel species and are somewhat shy for an angel.
Old 09/08/2006, 10:16 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Yes, I agree....of the OP's list of fish, I'd definitely add the Majestic first. BTW, they're really interesting when they make a grunting sound when annoyed.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/08/2006, 10:53 AM
In the undertow

My only concern with adding the angel first is that this will be the first fish in the tank, and my first SW fish period. And if they are not typically as hardy as other angels... :-o

What about this stocking order, and these tankmates, for a majestic?

1 - magnificent foxface
1 - flame hawkfish
1 - niger trigger <-- juvenile
1 - majestic angelfish
1 - harlequin tusk, Australian
2 - flame angels
1 - picasso trigger

I would REALLY like a group of something small in there, for interest... but the challenge is finding something that won't be eaten/ terrorized (trigger, tusk) - and at the other extreme, won't be absolutely evil. For example, my Marine Fishes book says you can have a group of yellowtail blue damsels if added simultaneously, AND that they are among the less-aggressive damsels... but I have read many stories on RC that contradict that and call them devil's spawn.
Old 09/08/2006, 11:09 AM
Keeper of Tangs

i have two yellow tails with a hawk fish and perc and they get along just fine. The are great fish. but there are some are more aggressive.
Old 09/08/2006, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

I put my Majestic in last. He went into a 200 with a 4.5" Yellow Tang, 5" Purple Tang, 6" Clown Tang, 6" Koran, and a several smaller fish. There were about 2 days of scuffles from the Koran when food was present, but other than that everyone has settled in nicely. The most shy fish in the tank is the Koran and he is the largest. I can always count on the Clown Tang, Majestic, and Yellow Tang be cruising all of the time. The Majestic used to hide when I would approach the tank, but he has gotten over that and comes looking for food. Great fish and gets lots of oohs and ahhhs.

Haven't heard him grunt though, I am curious about that.

Bill
Old 09/09/2006, 05:01 AM
Premium Member

The grunt that is being referred to is caused by somehow forcing water thru their gills. I have a 8" BlueFace that sounds like all the rock in the tank has fallen. You can actually here it 2 rooms away.
It works, whenever he does it, the others tend to clear out of his way.
Old 09/09/2006, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Majestic or Regal would be my choice.

What those triggers (even cross hatch) as they can get MEAN.

Scott
Old 09/09/2006, 02:54 PM
In the undertow

Quote:
Originally posted by plankton
Majestic or Regal would be my choice.

What those triggers (even cross hatch) as they can get MEAN.

Scott
Yeah - but the plan is that all those other fish I have listed (magnificent foxface, flame hawkfish, majestic angelfish, harlequin tusk, 2 flame angels, 5 yellowtail damsels - with a niger & a picasso) can likely keep them at bay. I am trying to put together a semi-aggressive group that can handle each other. I actually think the majestic would be the least aggressive fish in there, right?

(Well, except for the foxface - I know he is peaceful, but he has the venomous spines to hopefully protect him from any aggression...)
Old 09/09/2006, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

GODZILLA " a model citizen IF I keep him well fed "

And the sissy of the bunch, but still nice and starting to get her colors

I also have a Chrysurus which is about 5'' and beginning to get a little cranky at times
Old 09/09/2006, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

in time the majestic will actually be very bold and aggressive on any fish that invades its territory. i had a majestic in with a picasso and the majestic was the king of the tank even though the picasso was able to hold his own.
Old 09/09/2006, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Ive had a majestic, regal, emperor, annularis, blue, blueline but my favorite is the blueface. Mine is a bout 8" long and 3" fat almost. Very territorial and grunts like crazy!
Old 09/09/2006, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Id like to add that from my experience, no matter what is in the tank....the big angels eventually dominate. I have big puffers, a large clown trigger, and a large coris wrasse, none of them are as aggressive or territorial as the blueface angel and my annularis angel.