Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2006, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Undulate Trigger possible tankmate?

hi, i have a new 125g fowlr. it's gonna be a trigger only tank. i know undulate should keep alone in a tank. but can i keep it with humu and 1 more trigger in the tank? i dont' want to keep only 1 fish in my 125, but i love the look of undulate....... anyone has experience with a tank with undulate and tankmate?
Old 08/29/2006, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

The Undulate will most likely harass and stress the Humu as well as other triggers. I had an Undulate, it was a terror to anything put in the tank, including my hand. Although a beautiful fish, not very social. Good luck
Old 08/29/2006, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

buy him a pet rock
Old 08/30/2006, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stykthyn
buy him a pet rock

the funny thing is thats the best thing to do.
Old 08/30/2006, 05:12 AM
Registered Member

I wasnt joking
Old 08/30/2006, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

although I was at walmart and they had pirates of the caribbean aquarium sculptures. you can have davey jones blow air bubbles at him, only I think that in the long run davey will meet the same end as a live tank mate, best stick with the rock. maybe paint a funny face on it and give it a name.
Old 08/30/2006, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

my undy tankmate are 5 hambug damsels and a bi colur angel and zebra eel and they coexist very well at the time being hope it stays that way.
Old 08/30/2006, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

If I didn't already have a gang of fish, I'd take my Undy and put her in the 210 with a saddled grouper. They get about 6-8" longer than an Undulate, and have a bad kiester attitude; that'd have no problem keeping the beast at bay.
Old 08/30/2006, 11:23 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
Unortunately, they are one of the harder triggers to pair up with anything. I would not put anything else in the tank unless you are prepared to find it eaten some day when you get home from work. It might not get eaten today, or tomorrow, but sooner or later... it's time will probably be up.
Old 08/30/2006, 11:38 AM
840>420

i agree with spamin76, these are pretty much solo fish... ive seen a lot of success with damsels and maybe an eel though.
Old 08/30/2006, 01:26 PM
I May be Ich Free

lmao..i didnt even have any luck keeping damsels with a bluethroat...
Old 08/30/2006, 02:09 PM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
Keeping these fish with others really comes down to luck more than anything else. That's just not a proposition I find very palatable personally
Old 08/30/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

It's more or less based on the individual, I wouldn't call it luck. The crew from WWM has housed Undulates from a tadpole to a 10" monster with a relative peace. There's some bad groupers out there if one has a large enough tank; that'd actually have me concerned for an Undulate, and at best would probably have the Undy hiding in it's cave at most. My Niger PWNS my Undy at will, she tried step up once, but after the 3 minute chase of death, she goes in the other direction when he's bobbing around. These fish got labeled as terrorists and I guess it stuck.
Old 08/30/2006, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

wow! really a bad guy if kept with a larger niger or clown ( double the size ), with it help to tame a monster?
Old 08/31/2006, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

wouldnt be my waste of money... I have already wasted enough Instead of a tankmate... do you have a refugium? If you dont maybe you could make one that would house another thing to keep your interest like a stomapod... spelling. That way you have "two" tanks to hold your interest... and let the undy get bigger : )
Old 09/01/2006, 04:42 AM
Registered Member

A titan would hold its own but probably not before one or both the fish were seriously injured. You could always buy a clear acrylic hampster ball and put something passive in it. Assuming the stress didn't kill it....j/k
Old 09/01/2006, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

My Undulate got along with my Sulphur Head Moray, they occasionally had quarrels, but they respected each other and are a good pair
jcopp: Stomatopods kicks A$$!!! They will certaintly keep your interest more than any of my other exotic marine fish!

Old 09/01/2006, 08:49 PM
Big Boy Pants

You can see the blenny just above & to the left of the undulated.
The blenny & the trigger are afraid of each other for now.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 09/02/2006, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

rwhhunt your undy from red sea? nice colour!!
Old 09/02/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

not sure where he or she came from...
Old 09/03/2006, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

It's no Red-Sea; same as mine an Indo.
Old 09/03/2006, 08:28 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Quote:
Originally posted by triggermen
wow! really a bad guy if kept with a larger niger or clown ( double the size ), with it help to tame a monster?
I don't think a Niger is equipped to defend itself from an undulate. I wouldn't think its teeth or mouth would be able to work as well as an undulate's for defense.
Old 09/03/2006, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

You'd think that'd be the case, but without a doubt my Niger is the boss. The Undy cowers to him, and was almost snuffed out by him when I first put the Undy in after the Niger.
Old 09/04/2006, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

titan are they still friends ( niger + undy )? if so, a large niger will work well with a smaller undy? let say,we release them at the same time into the tank?

need your info.
Old 09/04/2006, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

The Niger allows her to dwell that's about it. He's doesn't chase all the time, just when he feels like being a jackass. The one time she tried to step up he had his back to her, and she was lunging back and forth flaring her triggers. The Niger having the ability to oscilate his eyeballs like a cameleon caught sight of this, and it was on. I thought the banging of rocks and chasing would never end. After all of it the Undy didn't go and cower in the LR, so definately not a total scaredy cat. As for your question thats a hit or miss, my Niger is bigger and not one of the peacful ones. If you decide to try it get a decent sized Niger first and let him get comfy. This way you can gauge his temperment, and will know if an Undulate will be as compatible as they can be. I'd rather have an Undy going into an established Nigers territory rather than the other way around.