Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/25/2006, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Scratch Removal?

Feel free to flame me as I am a noob to this form. I tried using the Search but it's temporarily not avaliable, so if this has already been covered please point me to the thread.

I have a few hair line scratches on the inside of my 180gallon acrylic tank. It is a fully stocked Reef tank. I was wondering if there is a good method or scratch removal kit that works? has anyone ever used a scratch removal kit? Does it work? Did you have to drain your tank? I would like some feedback from someone that has actually used a kit or has sucessfully removed scratches from their acrylic tank. I don’t really want to drain my tank to remove them either. Any advise would be appericated.

Thank you in advance!
Old 08/25/2006, 04:39 PM
Moved On

search e-bay for micro mesh. they have different kinds look for the ones for CD's or acrylic. should run about $11.00 + shipping
Old 08/25/2006, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip!

I was wondering can I use the micro mesh to sand the inside of my tank underwater? And will this blurr any of the surrounding area? I have seen scratch removal kits with sand paper type pads. Do any of these work in your opinion?

Last edited by chopsuey; 08/25/2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08/25/2006, 05:39 PM
King of the white corals

the scratch removal kits work great and the sandpaper parts of them can be used underwater.

do a ggogle for everclear transparency solutions.

call the number and sk for richard.

The stuff is quite abit mnore expensive than just regular sandpaper but you start with 1500 grit and end up with 8000 or 12000 grit and it is good as new and the padded sandpaper sheets make it much less likely to distort the viewing pane. If you have signifigant scratches you can get a drill kit but you need to be fricken careful with that thing or you can burn and or severely distort things........
I just spent 12 hours fixing a 225 that had urchin tracks all over it......i used the drill kit but i had a good coach before i started........
Old 08/25/2006, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks fLYYYGUY!

I found this site: Everclear Transparency Refurbishing I think I will order one of these kits. I have been beating my self up about the scratches everytime I look into the tank.
Old 08/25/2006, 06:33 PM
Moved On

Thats basically micro mesh, you can google micro mesh and find the stuff for a little less, but these kits seem to have it all combined for you.
Old 08/25/2006, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

If you want actual Micro-Mesh, go to www.micro-surface.com
The best hobby kit is NC-78-1, the "pro" kit is MA-1 and will last a hobbyist a lifetime and then some, I've never used the Everclear kit so can't say much about them but the Micro-Mesh kits are simply great

HTH,
James
Old 08/25/2006, 08:18 PM
King of the white corals

haha..hi james
bill in bend here.

I actually found everclear as they returned my call first when you told me to look for micro mesh...........

same stuff. : )
Old 08/25/2006, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

hehe, good stuff then I suppose. Good to know - thanks Bill

James
Old 08/28/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Thank for all the info guys!!

I will let you all know what kit I have decided to use and post some screen shots of the tank (without the scratches...)
Old 08/28/2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

i know a guy (yeah right) who used acrilic solvant/glue to fix them
what would happen if i did that
`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' , '
(( ),-'' (( ),' ((!.-'
Old 08/28/2006, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

why not use this kit since its made for aquaria https://www.micro-surface.com/defaul...kaqk&storeid=1
`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' , '
(( ),-'' (( ),' ((!.-'
Old 08/28/2006, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Are there any solutions available for scratches to a glass tank?
Old 08/28/2006, 07:16 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by devildij
why not use this kit since its made for aquaria https://www.micro-surface.com/defaul...kaqk&storeid=1
using just sandpaper sucks and you are more likely to distort the parts you are fixing. The micro mesh comes on these soft waterproof pads and does a really nice job. FWIW, Acrylics-the guy who responded above, makes some of the sweetest tanks around. He just made me one with a coast to coast overflow and i love it. Envision Acrylics if you want to check him out. He knows his stuff.

As far as glass scratches go........ dont think they can be repaired.