Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/22/2006, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

Question for tang "experts"

Is Orangeshoulder Tang (Acanthurus olivaceous) strictly a herbivore? I have had one for over a month now and he just loves lettice. He is not interested in anything else.

If you have one or you've kept one in the past, please share your experiences.
Old 08/22/2006, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

he's a vegetarian - and he likes your lettuce. maybe put some flakes on his lettuce - once he tries it, he may like it. Just kidding of course, but if he's growing, he should be OK (just like a little kid)
Old 08/22/2006, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

oblivionis,
I would assume your tang is also munching on algae that grows on the rocks. But for long term care you'll want ot try to also get him eating some sheets of Nori (grocery store or fish care kind). Lettuce is extremely low in any nutritional value.
It shouldn't be a problem getting him to eat it if he's already munching on lettuce!
Old 08/22/2006, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Mine eats just about anything, frozen, nori, pellets, flakes.
Old 08/22/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, he didn't come close to Nori in the begining but when I put it in the clip together with the lettuce he took to it. He is nice and fat so I guess it's just the matter of getting him to eat different things so he stays that way.
Old 08/23/2006, 12:48 AM
Moved On

I would consider myself a tang expert, lettuce has no nutricinal value for your tang or any fish for that matter... my tangs will eat the seaweed selects, but so little interest in the 2 little fishes version....they also love spectrum, and some depending on the tang will pick at the live rock, they also eat formula 1 & 2 and Tetra tropical crisps...if he is being picky, try getting some Kent Garlic Extreme, I've seen some cheaper garlic additives but after reading the bottle they aren't even garlic extract...its a garlic flavoring which doesn't help boost they're immune system. Also they get pretty large (14")and requre a 150 gal or more.

my .02 cents

Eric
Old 08/24/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

You really want to move him from lettuce to nori. As pondfrog said, lettuce isn't too good for him. I'd keep wrapping a little lettuce in nori and reduce the lettuce till it's gone. Also, not all nori is created equal. Ideally you want to use dried laver nori not the roasted stuff. They will take to it more easily and allegedly it retains more nutrients.

BTW, all my tangs (currently 8) eat just about everything from nori to krill. I just make sure they have lots of nori available.
300 Reef and 90 FOWLR; 425LR, with 3" DSB in 215 gal sump/refug and Berliner PowerPro SS twin becket skimmer. 210 Reef; 225 lbs of LR, 300 lb DSB, large W/D, Jebo 520 moded with a becket. 55 hospital.