Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2006, 09:33 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by GSchiemer
Personally, I don't think a one-inch Regal Angel will last in that tank. If the existing angels and tangs don't kill it, it won't compete for food and starve to death. I'd keep it in a smaller aquarium where it is the dominant fish.
Okay, so I'll keep it in the quarantine tank for a little longer.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 08/21/2006, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
Okay, so I'll keep it in the quarantine tank for a little longer.
We would all hate to see that guy get beat up in your tank. he does make all of us jealous. I wish mine was that young.
Old 08/21/2006, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

NexDog: I'll go out on a limb and say that in my opinion the regal will be fine in your large reef tank. I've introduced a 1" flagfin and a 2" regal with other angels and I haven't seen any hostility from other fish. Also, being a large reef tank he should have pleny of hiding places and natural food to eat. My 2" regal is right up there in the feeding frenzy with 5"-8" angels when I feed.
Old 08/21/2006, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

I'd be more concerned over the Centropyge angels and juvenile emperor angel than larger angels, as far as aggression is concerned.

Greg
Old 08/21/2006, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

There is a pair of potters and a pair of flames. No aggression. None from the PBT.
Old 08/22/2006, 02:38 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Ah, dilema, dilema.

Still didn't get around to introducing either fish due to too many other issues but tonight is the night......

Old 08/25/2006, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

Hi all

He's an interesting story regarding feeding my Red Sea Regal Angel

The regal has been in a 800 gallon reef system, with about 30 - 40 other fish for roughly 3 years.

While the regal will eat frozon or fresh seafood, typical squid, mysis, cockle, brine, etc, until recently there was no way pellets or flake would be consumed.

Bye the way I think using formulated food helps with fishes health.

Anyway, I started placing frozen food into a clear plastic cup, partly interested into the tank. The cup has lots of holes, so over a more pronged period, the thawed food would enter the tank and be consumed (typically lets say 5 minutes)

The fish, including the Regal would be impatient, and 'suck' the food through the holes or at least be there ready and waiting for it to come out.

Well here's the surprising bit.

After a month or so, I put flake food in the cup , and guess what, the Regal consumed it.

Now, if I put flake directly into the tank the regal, eats the flake.

Regards

Martin Lakin
Old 08/25/2006, 09:41 AM
Memium Prember

Very interesting - I like that feeding scheme! Gonna try that this weekend... Still no RA in my tank though...
Old 08/26/2006, 03:15 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Just to let you all know that I took the plunge and introduced the tiny Regal along with the BlueLine a few days ago at night. As expected I haven't seen it since but the tank is big and I'm sure it's living under one of the rock islands as there's a huge space under each one due to the rock racks I built the structures on. When I introduded the BlueLine to the QT tank the little Regal hid for about 10 days but after came out and swam with the bigger fish. I hope the same happens again. Anyhow, when I see it, I'll be sure to post.

Old 08/27/2006, 08:21 PM
Fiddles With Reef

The Regal was seen on the reef yesterday in a little cave and in and out some rocks. Haven't seen it since though.....

Old 08/27/2006, 09:51 PM
More than meets the eye

Have you tried to introduce any foods neer the cave he was in?
Old 08/27/2006, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

I would try a manila clam or similar in the area so It will come out and graze on it. It needs to eat.
Old 08/28/2006, 01:46 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Yea, does look a bit thin. I wrapped some nori around a small piece of LR and dropped by teh cave in the hopes it would nibble. The nori was gone next morning but teh space is large enough for most fish to get in so we'll have to wait and see.

Old 09/01/2006, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

My Regal

Well Here is my Red Sea Regal. He is finally eating the Formula one off a clip. ( As is his little buddy, the Queen ) He is the largest fish in the tank and really wasn't assertive in the beginning with just picking at rock and the mussels I gave him. He is now out all the time and aggressively feeding on the Form one... He still hasn't shown much interest in anything fed in the water column but he watched everyone else mow it instead. Maybe it will eventually sink in I don't know. He is a great fish and I am finding it most interesting/humorous how he was so shy at the first and finally it clicked " Hey I am the biggest around in this tank" and now pretty much runs the show...

I wish you all continuing success on your Regals.

Bryan

Last edited by bspete; 09/01/2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09/01/2006, 01:56 PM
Memium Prember

Hi Bryan, I see that you have a lot of LPS and looks like some zoas, etc. Any nipping at the corals?
Old 09/01/2006, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Hi RDMPE,

Not really a problem. I have Flame, Juv Queen and the Regal and they really haven't messed with anything. Occasionally one of the 3 might hit a coral once and then meander off. I haven't seen any of them pick and then stop and mow it down ( like me when the fresh fried chicken gets put out at Golden Corral) . So I would say they are pretty good as I have seen no damage to anything per se.
So Far so good....
Old 09/01/2006, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

nex any updates?

My updates.
Probably about 3 weeks in my regal started eating flake in the water column. he now is actively feeding with the other fish. first thing he ate in the tank fter nipping at the rocks all day was a sliced open clam and then rolled up nori atached to a rock. now he is eating flake and I am going to get him on the formula's soon.
Old 09/01/2006, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Hey bspete...

Wondering how your queen, flame, and regal get along?

I would LOVE to have all 3, but not sure how it would work out...
Old 09/01/2006, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Marine One,

They all get along fine. Flame pretty much just does his own thing with little interaction with the other two. Queen and Regal get along fine but if there is a cube of food in the tank to eat you might see the regal chase the queen a little but nothing too bad at all. They get along fine with no issues at all when not feeding.

I do want to agree with a lot of the others that have posted in saying. Angels seem to be quite the individuals so while there are success stories to go around I have seen plenty of angels fight and eat various corals.

I think the best way of looking at it is. Are you willing to chance it? If someone had some major dollar corals that they were concerned about getting eaten then I would advise proceeding with caution.

If it matters ( which I do not know if it does) the Flame was established first, then the Queen and finally the Regal (who is biggest of all). Maybe things worked out better letting the "little" guy get established first and then put in the larger ones later.

Hope this helps and I wish you luck if you do try it. They are certainly beautiful fish.....

Take care.
Old 09/02/2006, 02:01 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Haven't seen the little Regal since the last time.

Holding out hope though as it alot of places to hide.

Old 09/02/2006, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

NexDog: I'm gonna feel bad if he doesn't make it.
Old 09/02/2006, 11:10 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Nah, please don't. We had arguments either way and I took the decision myself. I reckon I'll see it in about a month and it'll be twice as big.

Old 09/02/2006, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

I have had a regal angel (about 4 inches long and from the red sea) for about 3 months now. I love this fish and he eats anything under the sun! I recently moved from Florida to Georgia and took my reef tank with me. My poor guy has since had ick, some sort of bacterial infection, cloudy eyes, and fin rot. I moved him into a quarantine tank and dosed with Bifuran and now I have switched to Kanaplex. I have also tried dips in freshwater and saltwater dips in paraguard. Fortunately, he is still very greedy with his food and I have been feeding him medicated pellets as well as garlic on his mysis. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to beat this fin rot? He does look a bit better but he is still not healing 100%. I love this fish and want to help him the best that I can.
Old 09/02/2006, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Unless you have something in your tank that would eat them, get a pair of cleaner shrimp (Lysamata) sp? They will have your regal back in good health in a few days at most. Plus they will feed your corals with regular "spawnings"

-Alfred
Old 09/02/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I have a pair of cleaners and they do not clean very much, if at all. Anyone else know of a regal safe med to use to treat his fin rot?