Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2006, 10:15 PM
Over budget Reefer

undecided on gear

I am new to the sport and am trying to decide on a BCD & Reg/octo console setup. At this point I dont know a lot but I do know that I want to own my own gear. I am not finding what I want used so I looked at this package deal.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...UCT_ID=TusaPkg

a little about my diving if that helps.

local diving in lakes at 1500-2500 with the occasional trip to the puget sound. ( cool water dives in 3-6mil wet suits)

recreational diver at depths up to 100 ft

as far as gear- I do want a BCD with an integrated system. I like the idea of using a dive computer. Beyond that I am open to most options at this point.

thank you for any insight you can offer on this package for me

Allen

joeychitwood- "I'd rather wear Brian's used underwear over my nose."

PoukieBear: "And I have extra batteries! "
Old 08/18/2006, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

Allen,

I am still a newbie, so take this with a big grain of salt. Just a couple comments:

1. The BCD you are looking at is a jacket style BCD. Just remember that with jacket style BCD, the air cell wraps around your abdomen. As you fill up the air cell, it puts a squeeze on you. The positive of a jacket style BCD is that it is much easier to stay afloat vertical at the surface of the water. I personally like back inflated BCD. The BCD air cell is on your back and does not wrap around your abdomen. In the water column, it gives you better trim. Also when inflated, it does not put a squeeze around you.

2. On your computer, invest in an nitrox capable computer. Although you may not dive with nitrox now - you may eventually want to. Air Integration is nice, but not necessary. Oh - try to get a quick disconnect for your computer.

I can't comment on the first stage and second stage regulator. But I doubt you will find any truly crappy regulators out there, so I wouldn't be too concern.

With that said - that's a good price for a beginner kit. My dive computer alone cost as much as this whole kit.

Any - good luck with your purchase!

Minh
Old 08/20/2006, 08:34 PM
Over budget Reefer

thanks for the tips!

I have only used vest style BCs so far but you make a good point. I will have to use a back style before I make a decision.

As far as the Computer, if I go with this package I will pay the extra 100 for the computer upgrade. The upgraded computer is for air or nitrox and has more capabilities that I want.

thanks for the advice!

Allen

joeychitwood- "I'd rather wear Brian's used underwear over my nose."

PoukieBear: "And I have extra batteries! "
Old 08/21/2006, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Rear floatation (back bladder, back inflate, etc.) BCD. I learned with (and bought) a jacket style, and then bought a rear floatation style as soon as I tried one. Definitely give it a try before you buy though, it's really a personal preference thing. It really helped my body position in the water, and I never had a problem floating upright at the surface. Integrated weight pockets are nice too, but make sure they are secure while being easy to operate.

I have and use the Dacor version of that octo (Mares bought Dacor out a while ago). Not bad, not great.

One of the biggest things I looked at when I bought my first regulator package was service. Initial on-line prices are great, but it can be a hassle (and more expensive) to get it serviced locally. Some regulator brands provide free parts for life if you have it serviced annually (and buy it from an authorized dealer), while other brands only give you one or two years of parts, and then you're on your own. After the first couple of years, my service bill went from $35 to $70 per year per regulator (2 full sets).

IMO, your first regulator purchase should be from a local dealer. They should tune it for you and make sure everything is working well before you take it out, and they will be around to help if problems do arise.
Old 08/21/2006, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Allen,
My suggestion, if you think you'll be diving for a long time, buy the best stuff now. When I first started I bought equipment that was bottom to middle of the line. The more I dove, the more I realized that I should have bought that better BCD, that better dive computer, that better 1st stage and reg. My BCD and 1st and 2nd stage are scubapro and I love them. My dive computer is a Suunto Cobra and worth every penny.... Good luck and be safe.
Mike
Old 08/21/2006, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

I agree with Mike to a certain extent. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford the "best stuff." For example, if I was scuba diving while in college, if I tried to save up for the "best stuff," it may take years or until I graduated. At that point, I would have probably bought the least expensive setup I can get (with in reason).

The "best stuff" right now might be an air integrated wrist computer. However, a simple computer console with analog pressure gauge will work just fine. But sometimes just spending an extra few hundred can also mean a world of difference in quality.

Figure out what is the most important item to you and buy the best that you can reasonably afford.

Minh
Old 08/23/2006, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

A lot of this depends upon exactly how much money you want to spend. There's plenty of great setups out there it just all depends upon what features are important to you and what your willing to pay to get them.

A lot of the companies out there do offer lifetime warranties, but these are limited on the grounds that the regulator be serviced every year. ScubaPro even has what they call the "Preferred Parts Program" which you're automatically enrolled in once you register your regulator. Basically with this program, all parts are covered under scheduled maintence.

That being said, ScubaPro has some excellent reg and BC setups (their KnightHawk BC is awesome)! Although, typical with SP there pretty highly priced. AquaLung is another company that has some great reg setups but at a manageable price. Through the end of July they ran a special where if you bought a reg, you the octo for free. The deal has since expired and there's no telling if and when they'll do it again. In regard to computers, definitely spend the extra $$ and get air integrated. There's plenty of good companies (Oceanic, ScubaPro, Suunto, Cressi) that has excellent comps with ranging features.

Some things to think about: weight integrated BC or not? balanced or unbalanced first stage? adjustable regulator? wrist mount hose based computer?
Old 08/26/2006, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

I see a few suggestions for air integrated computers.
Personally I would not trust them. The thing that scares me with an air integrated style computer is the fact of relying on too many electronic gadgets. If the signal from the tank to the computer is ever jepardized, then you have no way of knowing how much air you have. That is vital info.
The point is not to rely on gadgets, and I feel those are one of the most worthless gadgets you can have.
I trust having a hose mounted pressure guage more than a digital signal that has to travel through water.

Another piece of advice - STAY AWAY FROM DACOR!
Most of thier products are no longer serviceable because parts are not available.
(I dont like MARES either)

ScubaPro, USDivers, Aqualung, DiveRite are top notch suppliers of diving gear. There are some others.
I would reccomend wieght integration on your BC because the trend is going away from those horrible belts that always seem to slide off.
As far as the style of BC you choose- either a jacket style or rear bladder mounted, the choice is personal comfort.
Regarding regulators- balanced is the way to go if you have the loot. A balanced reg will remain a constant flow/draw even under low pressures (IE-low on air)- an unbalanced reg will become harder and harder to breath as the tank pressure drops. Balanced regs seem to function better in inverted positions too. Your primary regulator is going to be something that you should not squeak by on. Get a good one.
One gadgets I do like (in certian situations) is an air integrated octo (or secondary regulator)- this will eliminate one hose on your regulator configuration, BUT!- should the hose bust or somethng- you loose not only your octo but the inflator to your BC as well. I use a 1st gen AirII on my recreational dives but I always go to the standard 2 regulator sytem when I am on a working dive or in a drysuit.
Once you have all this stuff figured out and get a few hundred dives in, you might start to consider using double tanks- lol.... then there is a whole new game of equipment.
My advise- buy what you can afford, then take inventory on what you like and dont like- what you need and what you dont need. There will always be improved diving stuff that seems better than the old stuff but dont be fooled by gadgets.
I know some divers that swear by those old chrome plated metal regulators. I have used them and they worked just as smooth as any.
Old 08/26/2006, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

One more ...
My local dive store has many different items for sale. It is a general store policy that if you purchase something and decide its not what you wanted- it can be returned for FULL IN STORE CREDIT. No qestions.
I like this idea and I wish more owners would offer this as an option.
If a customer is really thinking abou a certian reg or BC, the store usually has one of the items that can be used for a test dive. I have seen the owner send a diver out the door with brand new gear just to try it out and see if they like it or not.
That is customer service!