Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: AquaPod or JBJ
12G JBJ 19 46.34%
12G AquaPod 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08/17/2006, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Aquapod vs. JBJ

I am thinking about getting a 12g nano and I was wondering which one everyone thought was better and why.
Old 08/17/2006, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Also if I got the JBJ then I would be getting the DX.
Old 08/17/2006, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

I prefer the cleaner look of the JBJ. I have only good things to say about my 24g!
Old 08/17/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

I have one of each. I prefer the stock AP over the JBJ. I did get an upgraded hood from nanocustoms for my JBJ and now it's MUCH better. Even with the extra lights it still runs cooler than the AP (temp is constant 82).

Robb
Old 08/17/2006, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

Why do you like the AP over the JBJ DX? Is it just bc of the lighting or is there something else?
Old 08/17/2006, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

In all the Aquapod threads I have read their is always an issue of overheating with the stock lighting. I would defiantly consider a biocube though by Oceanic, as they make tanks unlike JBJ and current who make lights. The biocube comes in 8, 14, and 29 if im not mistaken.
-Aqua C Remora
Livestock
-Orange Spotted watchman goby and candy cane pistol

38 gallon reef in the making
Old 08/17/2006, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

What is the temp of your tanks? And what type do you have?
Old 08/18/2006, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

How about some reasons as to why you all chose the one you did?
Old 08/18/2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Did aq quick google but couldn't find someone who sells the oceanic bio-cubes. Mosty ebay auctions. Happen to know who/where to get them?
Old 08/18/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

It looks like several companies out there are going to make the nano cube and jbj voting a waste of time because they are putting out better products.......I love competition.
Old 08/18/2006, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

JBJ because they have legs to hold open the canopy !
Old 08/18/2006, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Raibaru
Did aq quick google but couldn't find someone who sells the oceanic bio-cubes. Mosty ebay auctions. Happen to know who/where to get them?
Check with any Petland

Wendy
Old 08/18/2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Look, your not buying a new car or house here. People will simply recommend whatever they happen to have. I have several JBJ but would go with the new Oceanic biocube which ups the gallonage to 29. All these tanks work just fine and all can be modified in the same way. Just go get one already.
Old 08/18/2006, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

I know its not like I am buying a car but I don't like buying something only to wind up wishing I had gotten something else. It's called research...it's what people do before they just go blindly buy something.
Old 08/18/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jkta99
I know its not like I am buying a car but I don't like buying something only to wind up wishing I had gotten something else. It's called research...it's what people do before they just go blindly buy something.
Exactly, if I would have done more I would have either got a Finnex M-tank or waited and picked up the 29 gal Bio-cube.
Old 08/19/2006, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

I have a JBJ NC 12DX but I modded it with extra lights, a fuge light, changed fans, put the moonlights on their own circuit and installed a new heat shield from Nanocustoms. I run it with a Neptune Systems AQ Jr and I like it. It runs very quiet with a Minijet 606 pump and Hydorflo.
Old 08/19/2006, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is that what its called? They did not teach that to me at Tulane undergrad and law school.. That said. the pros at nano customs will tell you, and they sell both, that they feel the JBJ is a better made tank particularly the hood. There are new tanks coming out all the time. Right now, the Oceanic Biocube might be the way to go. Good stock lighting and as I stated before, your getting that extra five gallons over the 24. Enough research ? Go by the tank and by the way, The finnex M-tank mentioned above, while a good tank, at 32 gallons is acrlyc and will scrathed quite easily cleaning the algae. Of course, you could wait and get the new Red Sea NAno if you can ever find anyone at this German company to tell you when and where it will be available.
Old 08/19/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

I'd go with the oceanic bio cube, I have one its really nice...another sidenote is that I had the JBJ until it cracked for NO reason at all. I heard the red sea tank isn't going to be good anyway (crappy skimmer and the "T5" lighting isn't anyhting good. Also, it has built in holes for a chiller becuase the lighting is going to overheat it and they know it will. I got my bio cube from www.marinesolutionsinc.com, they aren't on the website but call and he'll tell you about it.
Old 08/19/2006, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

See now that is much more helpful than just saying go buy one. Thanks.
Old 08/20/2006, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
See now that is much more helpful than just saying go buy one. Thanks.
Well by the same token young student, I have 4 different JBJ nano's and never have had any cracks, leaks etc and if you bother to review your own thread, you would have noted, from the start, that all of us said to try the Oceanic. Now, take your life;s savings and buy the thing!
Old 08/20/2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

the reason you cant find anyone selling them online is because the official release date has been pushed back until mid to late september. The ones available thru ebay are the first run of the tanks. Basically "prototypes". I was going to order one but figure there must be some kinda issue with that first batch to have the release put on hold for two extra months. And anyone that bought the first production run of nanocubes can tell you they probably would have waited un hindsight duie to the glass breakage issues with the 05 models.
Old 08/20/2006, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Someone on nano reef in the all-in-one tank subforum has a 20 gallon glass M-tank and he really likes it but they discontinued it and are coming out with a glass 29 or something. I would personally go with that if you could find one. You can find the thread here, http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=93680 , and the guy talks about where he got it and who to call I think.
-Aqua C Remora
Livestock

Old 08/20/2006, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Here it is, http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Code=Aquariums
and someone said on that thread over at nano-reef that there is a refugiam model.
-Aqua C Remora
Livestock

Old 08/20/2006, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

don't mind Noschmo he always has a smart comment on everyones thread instead of just answering the question.

I can't compare to the others cuz Ive only seen the 12 gal aquapod that I have but I do really like it so far.

kass
Old 08/21/2006, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

They didn't discontinue the M-Tank made of glass - not sure about the rounded corners made of glass, I think they went to the squared corners - I just picked one up today, pretty jazzed about it.