Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2006, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Moving from 20gal to 112gal tank

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

Current setup is a small 20g tank with LR, hang on skimmer, external filter/UV and several powerheads and has worked very well for the 2 years its been running.

In about 4 weeks time my new tank arives and im looking for advice on the process of changing tanks over.

New tank is an aquamedic anthias 120 i can give specs if anyones unfamiliar?

its roughly 4ft x 2ft and i'm unsure if i can get it running instantly or if i need to cycle it or what, any help appreciated.

New tank is 5x+ the volume so im very unsure.

Cheers

Derek
Old 08/12/2006, 02:45 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Derek
[welcome]

No real problem with moving the existing materials to the new tank. There should not be any cycle involved. However, if you plan on curing LR in the new tank, rather than separate curing containers, then I'd get the cure done before adding the old LR to the new tank,

For more info see The New Tank Thread

Tom
Old 08/12/2006, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Nice one thats what i was hoping to hear, i have some cured LR ordered so no curing envisiged.

With regard to external filter, i would like to bin it, but do i need to run it on the new tank and slowly remove the contents?

Cheers

Derek
Old 08/12/2006, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the link im sure i'll find all i need there,

regards,

Derek
Old 08/12/2006, 03:16 PM
Bogus Information Expert

I'd use that 30 as a sump and then add an external pump to provide circulation. The external may be alright for a 20 but now you are moving to better things.

Tom
Old 08/22/2006, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

Just an update, everything transfered and looking good, so far no problems, fingers crossed its early days of course.

Your polishing filter idea worked wonders in clearing the water quickly thnx for the advice.

Regards

Derek
Old 08/22/2006, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

Keep your canister for carbon, that is what I have used my one for from my old setup

You paid how much for moldy rock!!!!
Old 08/22/2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Yep will do mate, i hope to post some pics when i get a chance and get my rock work finished i still have some racking showing and need about another 10 - 15k of LR to cover it proper.

The skimmer is working great, big diff to what im used to!

Cheers

Derek
Old 08/22/2006, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

If the LR is being shipped there's a chance that it COULD have some die off. I'd establish the new stuff in the tank first like Reefkeeper said. He knows his stuff. Also, invest in a skimmer that is rated for this size tank. Your hang-on couldn't be big enough for this 120. You'll be happier with going with a sump in the long run. It's more expensive but do it. You'll never regret it.
Old 08/22/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

The LR will be fully cured and taken home submerged so no probs there, as for my tank it is an aqua medic anthias 120 with a reef 500 filter/skimmer sump system check out http://www.aqua-medic.de/seawater/en/7/Anthias/ if your unfamiliar with it.

its a nice system and i got a great deal on it.

Cheers

Derek
Old 08/22/2006, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

One other question i have is the lighting system that came with the tank just has 2 150w MH's and no atinics whats the best way to add these, the lights i have are aqua medic oceanlights (dual).

My old light was a single oceanlight 150+ which had the blues built in and im missing them. any ideaaas?

Ta

Derek
Old 08/23/2006, 04:50 AM
Registered Member

get a retro kit T5. probably your cheapest option other than T8 which is only suitable for ummm well not much really

You paid how much for moldy rock!!!!