Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2006, 04:06 PM
Devil in the fur

oh man, thanks for all the support. atm I have 3 tanks
210g w/ 100g sump
90g fowlr
24g AP

my orginal deal was that I would sell the 90g and only keep the 210g and the 24g AP. the 24g is my reef and the 210g would be an aggressive tank.

I think I might be able to accomplish my deam tank in a year or two, depending on when my porc puffer outgrows my 90g as I offered to sell the 90g also with all the fish. She got upset at that because she loves my yellow porc puffer.
maybe I should wait a week or so, see if she comes to her senses. as it will cost me more money in the long run to purchase another tank and more rock.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyESQ
we are getting married 8/25/07 - no ring yet.

and she tolerates my 2 other tanks,
24g AP and my 90g. I think this tank was just too large for her liking.
I think you got your answer.

no ring yet

Maybe the rock you brought home shouldn't be the free rock.

Man, some of you guys are brutal. Guys, just remember that your fish won't keep you warm at night. If you do know what that mean. I come home and stare at my tank for 5 minutes and I go to bed.

saltyESQ, good choice.

Tetra, you should be the one talking, I see what you do when your woman comes in the room.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScotchMaster
Thats probably better for him in the long run! LOL
OK, I'd like to know how many of you fellas are single right now. I don't mean it in a bad way, just some of you may not understand everything, and then jump to your own conclusion as to what he should and shouldn't do.

Steve, 24 years. I guess you learned the "Yes, Honey" pretty quick huh.

I had that lesson just this morning.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Man, it's pretty sad/pathetic to hear some of you guys talking about gf's and wives, tolerating or not tolerating your hobbies.
They are partners, not mothers! If you have a chick that pressures you into giving up something you like,
especially something as harmeless as reefkeeping ,
then you're with the wrong woman.
For 14 years, I had the most understanding and wonderful wife anyone could hope for. She would support me, no matter what.
It has been 3 years since a dumb mother***er took her life in his hands and ended it,
just because he wanted to show off how fast his new car was.
Now my two boys and I are left here without her forever.
Do yourself a favor and rethink your decision. If she's doing this to you now, imagine what she'll think she can do to you, once she has that little piece of paper.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Tom Lyskic was right they are dream killer...J/K

PM sent.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

What exactly was it that set her off? The rock or the tank? Cause it seems like you've had that tank for at least a few weeks. Why did she get mad just now? Maybe try to figure out if there's something else going on with her, like if she's fighting with a friend, having trouble at work/school or if it's just that time of month.

Any of the above can result in a significant other displacing their frustration on you.

That said, maybe you do spend too much time in the hobby with three tanks. Moderation is key my friend. Although seriously, if you had to get rid of a tank or two, it shouldn't be the 210.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
oh man, thanks for all the support. atm I have 3 tanks
210g w/ 100g sump
90g fowlr
24g AP

my orginal deal was that I would sell the 90g and only keep the 210g and the 24g AP. the 24g is my reef and the 210g would be an aggressive tank.

I think I might be able to accomplish my deam tank in a year or two, depending on when my porc puffer outgrows my 90g as I offered to sell the 90g also with all the fish. She got upset at that because she loves my yellow porc puffer.
maybe I should wait a week or so, see if she comes to her senses. as it will cost me more money in the long run to purchase another tank and more rock.
Whose hobby is this anyways. I got an idea for a compromise. You keep the 210 and turn it into a reef. Give her the puffer in the 24 gallon and tell her it is her responsibility to care for it and maintain it. Pretty soon she will no longer love that puffer and that will leave you with one tank. The 210 REEF! Honestly she should be happy that you have a hobby that for the most part keeps you at home. I'm telling you from experience. I used to travel all over the nation for car audio competitions before reefing came along. Reefing is a hobby that the whole family can enjoy in some way or another.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 08/09/2006, 04:23 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Cifer
Man, it's pretty sad/pathetic to hear some of you guys talking about gf's and wives, tolerating or not tolerating your hobbies.
They are partners, not mothers! If you have a chick that pressures you into giving up something you like,
For 14 years, I had the most understanding and wonderful wife anyone could hope for. She would support me, no matter what.
It has been 3 years since a dumb mother***er took her life in his hands and ended it,
Do yourself a favor and rethink your decision. If she's doing this to you now, imagine what she'll think she can do to you, once she has that little piece of paper.
wow well i was laughing but your post stopped that... sorry to hear of your loss....

but on the real i meet his girl and she is nice.. she likes his tanks but is not a big fan of them... besides.. she is LOADED... lol

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 08/09/2006, 04:26 PM
reef supply website owner

I think you have the answer with the puffer, tell her he is outgrown the 90g and needs a bigger tank and the reef police on RC is getting on your back about it

I agree that your soulmate should be more understanding but I also understand that some women just aren't into keeping a 210 tank that will cost you $500 while they dont even have an engagement ring yet... compromise compromise compromise...
Old 08/09/2006, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
Honestly she should be happy that you have a hobby that for the most part keeps you at home. I'm telling you from experience. I used to travel all over the nation for car audio competitions before reefing came along. Reefing is a hobby that the whole family can enjoy in some way or another.
Agree completely. At first, my wife was wondering why I was spending so much money. Then, I started taking her with me on my weekly trek around the OC LFSs. Since then, it's turned into almost a weekly date - we go to the fish store, I pick some coral, she chooses a fish, when the tank is full, we'll buy another one.

It really can be a great hobby for couples/families, as long as everyone's on the same page.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:28 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Cifer
Man that sucks! I hope you buried that ******* in the desert!
Old 08/09/2006, 04:28 PM
Sannin

Quote:
Originally posted by vpham24
I think you got your answer.

no ring yet

Maybe the rock you brought home shouldn't be the free rock.

Man, some of you guys are brutal. Guys, just remember that your fish won't keep you warm at night. If you do know what that mean. I come home and stare at my tank for 5 minutes and I go to bed.

saltyESQ, good choice.

Tetra, you should be the one talking, I see what you do when your woman comes in the room.
Fishes won't but a new woman that tolerates my reefing will be keeping me warm.

Yes, when my woman comes in the room, I go to another room.

I thought this thread is about selling rocks?

If you think it's a sad day now, wait until next year.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:33 PM
Rubberman

A couple goes out to dinner to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. On the way home, she notices a tear in his eye and asks if he's getting sentimental because they're celebrating 50 wonderful years together. He replies, "No, I was thinking about the time before we got married. Your father threatened me with a shotgun and said he'd have me thrown in jail for 50 years if I didn't marry you. Tomorrow I would've been a free man!"
Old 08/09/2006, 04:38 PM
It's all about ME!

That was funny. I liked that joke.
Keep the tank!
Old 08/09/2006, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

It also depends how your tank is displayed. When my wife and I were dating I lived in an apartment with my bachelor styled 100g reef. Stand was steel, Canopy was acrylic, pump and the loud beckett skimmer was on the outside of the tank and wires and tubing all over the place. Since we moved to a home I could upgrade my tank to a larger one under the condition I cleaned up the wiring, and match the tank furniture to the furniture of the house since the tank in her eyes is a piece of furniture. Now she enjoys the tank as much as I do.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

yea i agree with scotchmaster if she is your g/f and shes like this imagine if she was your wife u woldenthave a tank for long. i guess i am lucky and my wife like reefing as much as me. sorry to here tho
Old 08/09/2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

These tanks take a lot of time, and marriage is all about compromise.... She has to get something out of the deal. There is always room for negotiation....

My wife hated my tanks from day 1, but she put up with it , knowing that I enjoy screwing around with it...

She handles the 14 foot long cabinet, but likes the cabinet because it makes the house look better.

I try not to go overboard with the stuff in this hobby, for if I buy something big, she gets something big...

I also made everything else automatic , so I only need to do maintenace about every 4 days.

If your tank takes time away from her, she'll hate it. Make it pretty and involve her, and she'll like it...Give her something to show off to her friends, and she'll even feed the fish

One thing I did give in to was letting people come over to the house to buy frags... It was annoying, took up time, and with a 1 yr old and a big dog... just hard. So I only sell frags at the swaps...

Go Reef with the 210.. Reefs are pretty colors.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

my wife hates my tank, hates the smell of LFS, hates the smell of skimmers but tolerates it because she knows I enjoy watching the tank.

someone mentioned a tom..he's on 97.1 free fm, if he hears about this he'll tell you the correct path to take. Dr Phil is nowhere near in terms of praticality.

Really, there's a line where you must stand and if you back down now, it's not going to end here.

I bet she doesn't approve because of other reasons (saving money, spending time with her, etc.) If you're able to resolve those issues and she still insists on you giving up your dream - i'll be willing to put money that your marriage won't last more than 5 years.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Re: Sad day: 268lbs of LR for sale and 210g starphire tankw/ stand and 100g sump for sale

Quote:
I have been told that my priorities are not in order.
I think it had to do with the amount of time I spent on picking up the live rock.
after all that work of buying and moving that beautiful 210g starphire tank, it has to go. As my priorities are not in order!

I am selling the tank for 500 and it includes a steel stand and 100g acrylic sump.
the tank has some scratches on it, but they should be able to be buffed out. I can give you the link for the powder that buffs out glass. the boston marine aquarium society, where I got the info from said it takes a couple hours of buffing.

I am also selling all the live rock that I picked up, $2 per lbs.
first come first serve. There are a lot of very nice pieces.

Who told you that your priorities out of control?

I was really looking forward to an emperor angel.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
lets not start this... the man is selling the rock for $2 a pound... buy it or pay $6 at your LFS... your choice...

i hate it when people want the same deal as the person before them even though they had nothing to do with that deal
Bebo is correct. What the man does with his rock or how much he sells it for is his business, not yours. That was a cheap shot at someone feeling a little down after all the work he put into this project!
Old 08/09/2006, 04:58 PM
Devil in the fur

thanks, I redacted my remark.
Old 08/09/2006, 04:58 PM
Fish Yenta

Quote:
Nicole, there's a lot more of them out there than first meets the eye. Don't think I'd want to spend an hour with them though, no less a lifetime.
Too true. Perhaps I should have specified someone you'd want to be with.

There's a lot of trash talk from some of the guys here. Usually the men that talk so big in public like they have their woman "tamed" are the ones who don't sneeze without permission at home.

Wise words from Franky!
Old 08/09/2006, 05:02 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Quote:
Originally posted by NicoleC
Too true. Perhaps I should have specified someone you'd want to be with.

There's a lot of trash talk from some of the guys here. Usually the men that talk so big in public like they have their woman "tamed" are the ones who don't sneeze without permission at home.

Wise words from Franky!
i have never met nicole but i like you already... thats the truth.. i have friends that are pussycats when their girl is around... but when it is just the guys.. man they are DOGS... lol

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..

Last edited by Bebo77; 08/09/2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08/09/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

I didnt realize so many woman dont like animals or fish I should say.

Old 08/09/2006, 05:13 PM
Rubberman

I think as time goes on the money thing will be the issue more than the time spent, unless you have young kids. The cost of power is getting to the point that it could and maybe should be the deal breaker. Couple hundred a month just for Edison can go a long way towards keeping the daily happy level up in a relationship. Add that up over the period of 10+ years and when you're 50+ and have a kid-less home you could see a lot of places or add it to your security blanket.
That's how old people and women look at it I think.

SteveU