Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/19/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Auto Top-Off (ATO) recommendations?

Hi!

I'm currently running a 15g and am looking to automate the daily top-offs. What's readily available in the way of programmable pumps or other automatic systems? I'd love to know what's out there.

Bonus points to someone who can recommend an ATO unit that is precise enough to work for a Nano but could potentially be used on a larger-scale system, e.g. 65 gallons.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07/19/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Ditto, I'd be interested in one as well. Any reliable, complete ready made systems out there or is DIY the way to go? I'd prefer not a gravity fed setup but possibly a sump type to put underneath in the stand that I'd just have to fill up every 2-3 weeks.
Old 07/19/2006, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from Oceanus and have it on my 58. Works great and very reasonable in price. You have to buy the pump. I got an Aqualifter, but you could ues any pump. They are big. The floats are made out of 1/2" pvc so they are best for a sump system. One guy here did a DIY with a couple of float switches, a milk jug and an air pump to pressurize the jug. The JBJ unit wold be a good choice I think. Not sure how big the float switches are.
Old 07/19/2006, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input...

I was hoping to avoid float switches. I thought about using an Eheim liquidoser, but it's actually too small-scale for my 15g (lots of evap).

If I need to go into float switches then I'd be inclined to DIY it. Any other units come to mind?
Old 07/19/2006, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

... skip the digital timer ... I've burnt 2 in 6 months @ $30 a pop! Analog will work as well even though digital was very customizable . For more applications visit the Nano Reefs DIY sticky thread at the top of the forum! Need help? PM me! Thousands already have on this subject ... I feel like I explain it every week at least twice

Last edited by chocolateblnt; 07/19/2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07/19/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

i got one from www.autotopoff.com and it works great
Old 07/20/2006, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gfk
i got one from www.autotopoff.com and it works great
Did you get the dual or single switch..?? Tank mounted or sump mounted..?? Thanks...

Jester
Old 07/20/2006, 10:18 AM
KS reefer

I second autotopoff.com, I have the dual switch sump mount and it works awesome! Shipping was really fast and packed well!!!
Old 07/20/2006, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

i have 1 tank mount on my 30 gallon, and 1 sump mount on my 100 gallon from autotopoff.com

id highly recommend the dual switch setup either way, its a backup measure from preventing your tank from overflowing, or dropping the salinity way off wack.
Old 07/20/2006, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

i'll third (or fourth) autotopoff.com - inexpensive and works well. can scale infinitely large or small baed upon the size of your resivoir and pump.
Old 07/20/2006, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Right on thier webpage

No orders will ship July 29th - August 11th. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 07/21/2006, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, I'm a little confused about a few things:
-What's the benefit of the dual switch? Is it just a back-up?
-Do I need a switch(es) on both the tank and sump?

I'm trying to figure out how this works. When the main tank level gets low, the float sets off the switch sending a signal to the sump pump to pump more water back in the main tank? The main tank float/switch then turns off the pump when enough water is put back in? Does anyone have pics of their setup? Will the switch work/fit in an AIO nano back chamber?

Thanks.
Old 07/21/2006, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Asahi, the dual switches are for redundancy. If one switch fails (gets stuck in the on position) the second switch will shut off the topoff, preventing a flood (and huge swing in salinity).
Old 07/21/2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Thanks SWfan,

That's what I thought. So I put the dual switch on my main tank and a pump in my sump filled with plain ole RO/DI. The sump will be below in the stand and need the pump to just pump the water back in, right? That's all I need (and some tubing)?

Is the sump version switch for those people who have a SW sump setup for fuge, skimmers, etc. and it just tops the water off there (from another RO/DI only sump)? That way there is no float/switch in the main tank, just a normal overflow to the SW/fuge sump?

I'm looking at getting a new M-Tank glass 20gal AIO. Would a dual switch fit and work properly in one of it's rear sump compatrtments? The compartments are about 2-3" deep. There are two. One for a skimmer and the other I'm making a fuge out of. Would returning the water from the RO/DI sump to the M-Tank work out OK if I have it return to one of the back compartments? I was thinking of returning it to the skimmer compartment. Which size/brand pump should I go with? I'm trying to avoid any more plumbing in the main viewing area if I can?

If this can work, I'll get the dual switch tank float, whatever pump, some tubing and a 10-15 gallon tank as my RO/DI sump and be set. Then I'll just have to keep that sump filled every week or so. Anything else I can do with the RO/DI sump (combo with a fuge, etc.) or should I just leave it plain RO/DI for just topping off evaporated water?

Thanks again.
Old 07/21/2006, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Asahi, it sounds as if you've got it all down. Good job thinking it through.

You don't need a powerful pump in your RO/DI tub. Just enough to get the water up the tubing and into your M tank. Not knowing how much head pressure you have, I can't make a pump recommendation. Most pump manufacturers have a chart you can follow anyway.

If you have room for both a sump/fuge combo, and an RO/DI topoff tub, that's what I'd do. If not, then just have the RO/DI topoff tub with a pump in it.

Good luck with it. I think you'll nail it.
Old 07/21/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

you can use a powerhead to pump the water up through 1/2" clear tubing - thay way you won't see a ot of extra plumbing, just the switch bracket and a small clear tube.

make sure the tank end of the tube is above the water or else it will siphon back into your rodi container when the pump shuts off...
Old 07/21/2006, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

www.californiareefs.com
Old 07/22/2006, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

i just have the single switch and right now its in my tank.... i dont have a sump in that tank.

i have a tank running that im transferring everything into that has a sump, so im going to make a new mount for it and put it in my sump.

i have never had any problems with it messing up, and overflowing :fingers crossed:

just make sure when youre doing water changes to TURN IT OFF, because ive forgotten a few times and it ran a bunch of freshwater into my tank while i was trying to syphon out water
Old 07/22/2006, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gfk

just make sure when youre doing water changes to TURN IT OFF, because ive forgotten a few times and it ran a bunch of freshwater into my tank while i was trying to syphon out water
I actually do the opposite, sort of... I unplug the normal ATO pump, and plug in a powerhead in my bucket of fresh slatwater - as i siphon old water out of the display the ATO turns on that powerhead and replenishes it into the sump - makes water changes MUCH easier.
Old 07/22/2006, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

If you want something that is reliable/precise i would suggest looking no further then the Tunze osmolator. Some might consider it a bit pricey but IMO its worth every penny and is the BEST solution for automated topoffs.
Old 07/23/2006, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

2x I'm with MattG on this one...

0 problems make it worth it's weight in gold. I was running a powerhead in my sump for a while...ton of surface turbulance. Osmolator kept the level dead on 24/7...try that with a float switch. No stuck floats or worries about magnetic fields (how close you going to run that float swith to you pump?) No false starts like you get with a float switch either.

Three trys with ATO systems this on is the charm.