Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/13/2006, 04:00 AM
30 year and over club

That is one obise Idol.
You should put him on a diet.
Paul
Old 07/13/2006, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Re: Moorish Idol is getting a little chubby

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefGeekster
Here's the lastest pic 07/13/06 I've had Him/Her going on a year and a half. All my fish are pretty chunky. Anyone have a fatter Idol?

The Blue Hippo Tang I've raised from a tiny, almost a fry was so small it was smaller than my small clown fishes.
Nice fat idol. Whats their diet to keep it so chunky and healthy?
Old 07/13/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Kidding aside, while it's great the Idol's eating, it is REALLY fat. Probably not healthy for it.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 07/13/2006, 02:50 PM
30 year and over club

Kieron, I was thinking the same thing. None of the ones I have seen in the sea are anywhere near that fat.
Old 07/13/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

I wonder if it's an Algae Blenny dietary deficiency bloat kind of thing. What IS this fish eating?

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 07/13/2006, 10:07 PM
S Oregon Reefkeepers Club

Quote:
Originally posted by KDodds
I wonder if it's an Algae Blenny dietary deficiency bloat kind of thing. What IS this fish eating?
His diet is Omega One Marine Flakes, O.S.I. Spirulina flakes, and
P.E. Mysis shrimp soaked in Selcon. I did start him/her out on live steamer clams when I first got it and it's been about six months since I fed live steamer clams. I feed two times a day morning and evening. It's still active and swims normal and right in front when it's feeding time.
What are the symptoms for deficiency bloat besides being fat? Ever since I got it, it eats eats and eats.
Old 07/14/2006, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

Well, bloat is really a catch-all that is probably a combination of things, just like in FW. Behaviorally I've noticed that some marine fishes will obviously be satiated, but still behave as if they're ravenously hungry. Whether this is due to dietary deficiency or possibly some "psychological" thing, who knows. Are your other fish equally overweight?

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 07/14/2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KDodds
Well, bloat is really a catch-all that is probably a combination of things, just like in FW. Behaviorally I've noticed that some marine fishes will obviously be satiated, but still behave as if they're ravenously hungry. Whether this is due to dietary deficiency or possibly some "psychological" thing, who knows. Are your other fish equally overweight?

I wouldn't say they are overweight, they are thick and healthy. If it is bloating is there anything one can do?
Old 07/14/2006, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

what's steamer clams?
i got the manilla clams and it seems to be interested but my regal angel and purple tang are hogs.
Old 07/14/2006, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

As of right now i am 2-0 with moorish Idols the first one i got, i put it in a peacfull tank and it did great and actually fought and won with my niger trigger for food. SO my second one i wanted to put in a little more agressive tank to see how it would hold up.. So #2 is in a 90G with a koran twice his size an a clown trigger half his size.... an so far he is just as agressive considering my koran is very mean. i am also quarantining a big eye squirel i just got yesterday .. I dont know if anyone tried Julians sprung red sea algea buts its pretty good its the bulk of both my Idols diet along with angel froze formula and dry pellets and flakes
Old 07/15/2006, 06:25 PM
30 year and over club

what's steamer clams?
They are what I had for dinner last night.
Old 07/20/2006, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

ok, so there were 3 moorish idols at the LFS and i picked up all 3.

the biggest one is nice and fat b/c he's eating clams. He started to pick on the other two a lot so i pulled them out and put them in a frag tank 48x24x15"H Looks like the 2 small ones are eating a little bit of the clam i put in there. They all seem to have a little ich, it comes and goes away day to day...i have 2 cleaner shrimps and 2 neon gobies that i believe will eat the ich.

we'll see, i'll update in a week or so.
Old 07/23/2006, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

HEy john37 .. Try to put some dry algea in a cup of hott water .. let the algea mealt a little then put it in the tank... (just the algea) let me know if ur idols love it too
Old 07/23/2006, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

did you rubberband it to a rock or just let it float around?
Old 07/23/2006, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

btw here's a pic i took of the big moorish idol, had to move the other two cuz he was killing them.
Old 07/24/2006, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

Just a note... did anyone else see the PBS "Wrecks" show? They showed various wrecks throughout the specific, focusing on one in particular. It's pertinent because they show a school of Moorish Idols, perhaps 3 dozen strong, maybe more. It's about a minute to three minute spot, but definitely worth seeing. Of course, they state that Idols will "eat anything", including corals, algae, inverts, etc. in their list of food items, which we all know is FAR from the case.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 07/24/2006, 02:46 PM
30 year and over club

Actually, their main diet is sponge and their mouths are very weak but I think they will eat just about anything. I believe they may need sponge to stay healthy and I did not see them eat anything else in the sea myself but mine will eat anything including bananas, avacado and garlic, I know they do not get tiis in the sea but if I squash snails or crabs, they are eaten immediately.
Paul
Old 07/24/2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
Kieron, I was thinking the same thing. None of the ones I have seen in the sea are anywhere near that fat.
He's still fat and sassy, I did cut down on the feeding with less portion but he love's his PE Mysis shrimp soaked in Selcon.
Old 07/25/2006, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

BTW, in case anyone's interested, they've been reshowing the program I mentioned above on the PBS channels in my area. It's a "Nature" episode entitled "War Wrecks of the Coral Seas". Definitely worth a watch.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 07/25/2006, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

hey guys,

im starting a 180 gal tank in a few monthes and i want to try a couple moorish idols. i read earlier in this thread that they live in pairs in the wild. so would it be ok to have 2 one male one female?

also would it be ok for me to grow live sponge in my tank for them to eat? or do i have to feed frozen sponge?

besides soaking all foods in vitamens and garlic and feed spnge is there anything i really need to know?

thanks
nate
Old 07/25/2006, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

They're really not possible to sex. Additionally, I think a 180 is a little small. Getting them to feed is a toss-up. Better to make sure to get one that's feeding already. Only in certain areas do they remain paired, in other locations they school.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 07/25/2006, 03:53 PM
30 year and over club

I have heard that too about them pairing and schooling. I have never seen a school of them but I have not dove with all of them yet, but I am trying.
The only ones I saw were in what seemed to be mated pairs.
As to your question, I don't think you could pair them up even if you had a male and female. Many fish like to pick their mate themselves. (How gosh)
As for sponge, most, if not all will not live in your tank. And if it did the Idols would eat it in a couple of days. If you can get sponge, freeze it. There are some frozen foods as Dodds pionted out that are supposed to contain sponge.
I would not get an Idol in a brand new tank but thats just me.
Good luck Paul
Old 07/25/2006, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

ok well do u think its smart to get 2. or better for one? would it be good to get live sponge for right when i get it so that it ill be full and happy? then start feeding frozen?

im not going to adding it right away probably around the 6th monthe mark or so.

thanks
nate
Old 07/25/2006, 04:38 PM
30 year and over club

Your tank is too small for two, it's much too small for one.
They should be fed sponge at least a few times a week IMO
Paul
Old 07/25/2006, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Again, I think a 180 is a bit on the small side, so I certainly would not even attempt two. I also wouldn't even think about an Idol until past the one year mark, at least. Keeping live sponge in the amounts you'll need is a virtual impossibility in a home system. I'd not buy one that's not eating something other than sponge.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics