Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/28/2006, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Whats your view on UV-Seterilizers?

Just curious what people's views are on these.

Helpful?
Harmful?
Bad/Good experiences?

Facts on if they actually help or not as well... I've heard mixed opinions.

Thanks,
K-Dubbs
Old 06/28/2006, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

I ran one for 2 months. I had an ick outbreak and my fish did not do well in quarintine so I put them back in the reef, added a 25 wt UV, dosed ruby reef and added garlic extreme to their food. All of the fish survived and are thriving, no sign of ick for almost 3 months.

I did notice a decrease in the pod population, and I think it helped with algae.

From my experience they kill bad stuff as well as good stuff. I guess it would depend on the application. I pulled it as soon as I felt the fish were safe.

I personally would not run it unless the tank had a problem that UV would help with.
Old 06/28/2006, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

anyone else?
Old 06/28/2006, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

I just started running it on a 14 hr on 8 hr off basis. I spoke to my lfs, also an online vendor and sponsor of this forum, who highly recommends using UV all the time.

Yes, it does kill good as well as harmful, but I'm giving it a try.

"It's alaways a sometin'" -- Roseanna Roseannadana
Old 06/29/2006, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

When we first got our tank, we had a UV sterilizer on it. It kicked after about 2 years, and we never replaced it. We are going on our 4th year without one, and I haven't noticed a need for one. Of course, now that I said that...
Old 06/29/2006, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

Interested in hearing more input here as well.
Old 06/29/2006, 04:40 AM
Registered Member

Good for temporary use when dealing with Ich.
Old 06/29/2006, 06:02 AM
Professional Aquarist

They are largely unnecessary. They lead to a false feeling of security when proper quarantine is safer and more effective.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 06/29/2006, 06:28 AM
troublemaker

For fish-disease treatment/control - as mentioned by Steven, there are far better/more sure means of treatment.
QT works much better, IME.

I did find mine useful, feel that it had a number of positive impacts on the tank.
Old 06/29/2006, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I would use it on a QT but not my main tank
Old 06/29/2006, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

They work great. They have their own purpose in treating diseases. A U.V. sterilizer isn't going to irradicate already diseased fish. But they will keep it from getting worse from the time that you introduce the sterilizer, and help ALOT to prevent any diseases or parasites from comming back. I would run one on a display or a quarantine if it were necessary.
Old 06/29/2006, 10:27 AM
Registered Member.

If you don't find it in the ocean, why put it in your main display tank?
UV is great for a QT tank though.
Old 06/29/2006, 10:36 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

I personally had great experiences each time I used mine on my reef. My fish had ich both times, different tanks with completely different systems...many years apart. The ich wasn't really bad, but bad enough to have my fish "flashing". Both times I used my UV, and the ich cleared up. Coincidence? Maybe. Can't prove it one way or the other, but IMO I like using one during fish additions, quarantined or not.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 06/29/2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

I love mine. I run it 24/7 and it keeps the water much cleaner and fish and corals seem to be happier.
Old 06/29/2006, 11:02 AM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by geckofrog
If you don't find it in the ocean, why put it in your main display tank?
UV is great for a QT tank though.
Why is a UV great for QT?
What does it solve?

FWIW ... I've never seen lights, powerheads, skimmers, etc in the ocean. Perhaps we don't need those either?
Old 06/29/2006, 11:19 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

So you never seen the sun or what about waves. I think Lights and powerheads are easy to explain but the skimmer is debatable.

I have never used a UV as I do not see a need for them. I know some in a club around here that believe they are the best thing you can have on your tank
Old 06/29/2006, 11:26 AM
troublemaker

I'd agree. I'd never rank a UV as essential equipment for every kind of tank, and would generally recommend spending that money on good skimmers, waterflow, etc.

Then again, I'd personally rather experiment with a UV unit vs. ozone - as it's hard to overdose UV, and beyond looking at the bulb - seems to be less potential health concerns.
If looking to experiment ... worth considering. But so often you see very small, underpowered UV units being sold as `essential equipment' - which they [IMO/IME] are not, and very often are so undersized [IME] that they're near useless.
Old 06/29/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

I actually just had this discussion with several marine people in the marine science center here at UCSB, and the overwhelming consensus is that if you want to have diesese free water with out using chemicals, UV is the only way. many of the people i spoke to work with tropical as well as temperate marine organisms and everyone who tries larval recrutment or is working with a less than hardy species of fish/invert etc all use UV on their prop tanks. Right now the people next door to me are using a 4x 30w setup with 2' T8 bulbs on the tank they are trying to grow black abalone in. i think this kind of consensus leads me to belive that i did the right thing in getting one. just my .02
Old 06/29/2006, 02:25 PM
Organized Confusion

I use to run one on my larger tank, but oneday I discovered that I had forgotten to turn it back on during the last cleaning session. I had not noticed any change in the fish or the water quality while it was in active. I now only run it when I add something new to the tank. I use ozone on my larger tank now and don't really turn it on all that often.

180 + 65 sump
2x25" CPR HOB fuge
Euro CS12-1
Ozonizer
Korallin C 1502
Delta Star 1/3 hp
2x250W 65K Iwaski, 400W 10K Ushio, 2x160W URI Super Actinic
Old 06/29/2006, 02:52 PM
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
Why is a UV great for QT?
What does it solve?

FWIW ... I've never seen lights, powerheads, skimmers, etc in the ocean. Perhaps we don't need those either?

UV is great for parasites and ich. Which usually pop up when you get your new fish, etc. (thus in the QT tank)

But the reason I don't use UV is that in the ocean there is nothing smiliar to it. Skimmers replicate the waves, powerheads the currents and lights the sun. What about UV? The only thing I can even think that comes close is the sun again?

I know a lot of people with UV's and their water is super clear, but I don't see any difference with mine with live rock and a little skimming action.

UV does help to control algae which is another benefit
Old 06/29/2006, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
So you never seen the sun or what about waves. I think Lights and powerheads are easy to explain but the skimmer is debatable.
How can a skimmer be debatable? The ocean skims itself constantly. Unless you want to do water changes all the time, I think a skimmer is a pretty necessary thing, replicating the way the ocean cleans itself. (and I'm not saying water changes are not necessary with a skimmer, just not as often)
Old 06/29/2006, 03:35 PM
Got Dihydrogen Monoxide?

I run my UV 24/7. All good outcomes. No disease, no algae outbreaks, healty fish and corals. I recommend one!
Old 06/29/2006, 03:44 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

When does the ocean skim, I see any foaming on the beach go right back in, plus the size of the ocean and the little beaches I can not see how the ocean is skimmed, maybe a little but not very much at all.
Old 06/29/2006, 03:50 PM
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by marinelife
When does the ocean skim, I see any foaming on the beach go right back in, plus the size of the ocean and the little beaches I can not see how the ocean is skimmed, maybe a little but not very much at all.
Granted the Ocean is huge and the skimming isn't really required, but the waves to play an important part of "skimming", when waves break there is usually that foam thats left, It gets disolved back into the sand where its broken down.
Old 06/29/2006, 03:53 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by geckofrog

But the reason I don't use UV is that in the ocean there is nothing smiliar to it. Skimmers replicate the waves, powerheads What about UV? The only thing I can even think that comes close is the sun again?
i would say the sun is a very viable answer . full day exposure .

who cares anyways. there is nothing like hydroponics in nature but you can certainly grow a better plant that way ...

if you want to follow this thought process you need to seriously think it all the way through. nature also doesn't have 100 gallon tank filled with organisms that are totally out of their natural environment . living in water that is like 1000 times dirtier than most sea water and in close proximity to may other fish who could be sick and in a closed environment . even if you don't buy the sun as one big UV then maybe you it could be said there is no need for one there . in our closed small systems something else can be said ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser Tang
I run my UV 24/7. All good outcomes. No disease, no algae outbreaks, healthy fish and corals. I recommend one!
I agree 100%. i love the UV not because i see it curing any problems but because i don't have any problems . can you be successful without one ? of coarse. does it help with algae and parasites before they happen so you never even have the problem ? yes !