Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/28/2006, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

chiller needed for 25 gallon!

Hi, guys. My tank is a 25 gallon that's around 80 degrees when there's NO light over it. And when my MH/compact flourescents are on, whoa, it gets warm in there. The temperature rose to 87 degrees!!! I need to do something about this ASAP, but since my tank is so small, can I get away w/those ice packs taht ppl put in mini fridges when they go camping or something? Or, can I get some regular fans from walmart and hope the temperature drops a few degrees? Or is the chiller absolutely necessary? If so, which kind do you recommend for a 25 gallon?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie
Old 06/28/2006, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

80 degrees is within the ideal range so you are okay unless it boosts over 84 degrees then you will probably start worrying.
Old 06/28/2006, 02:24 AM
RC Mod

87 F is a bit hot. Can you point a fan at the water surface somehow? That often works wonders, although the evaporation rate can get quite high.
Old 06/28/2006, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

87 is mighty hot for a tank-for some reason if the fans dont bring it down they due make a line of chillers for smaller tanks-you can go to marine depot and check them out-the are made by current usa-and start at 299$-just watch that temp so it doesnt bounce around -thats where it will cause your tank problems
Old 06/28/2006, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Why not try the mini fridge chiller design? This would be a good sized tank to try that on. Or could you possibly get a small 1/4" cold water line to the tank? If so than you could put a small piece of Titanium inline and run cold water in it. Just a thought to try and help keep you from spending $300 if you don't need to. Good Luck!, Tim
Old 06/28/2006, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

chicken, what's the minifridge chiller design? is it something you make? unfortuantely, i'm not that great with diy projects (i've never made anything before! lol)

thanks,
Jamie
Old 06/28/2006, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

http://www.becnel.net/jim/reef/cool.html
Old 06/28/2006, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

I had problems with heat on my 55 with the PC lights on. I ended up getting a 18" fan to blow air across the tank to keep it cool. It is hooked to the timer that controls my lights and does a great job.

I hate the look of it but kept the wife happier than the chiller option and keeps the tank temp controllable