Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2006, 10:20 AM
Team RC Member

If you could change the world---

Two newsworthy items....one: Bill Gates is stepping down from Microsoft to devote time to his charities, mostly involved with breaking the cycle of disease in the developing world---things like aids and various fevers and parasitic diseases that hammer down the populations into cycles of poverty.
He's now joined by Warren Buffet (27 billion dollars) who proclaims that he intends to leave enough for his children "to do anything, but not enough to do nothing"---in fact, his children are getting their schooling in management and compassion while managing several educational charities set up by the Buffetts. He's turning the bulk of his fortune over to the Gateses' foundation. The total is larger than Unicef---and will be run by people who are used to getting results.
They're challenging other wealthy folk to join them.
Of all the things I've heard of people doing with their fortunes, this has got to be one of the best.
If you were that rich, what would you do for the world?

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/26/2006, 10:30 AM
Montigyra kenti

I would plant fields for crops and livestock across the world. The work needed to work the fields would be provided by the natives and run by the natives (with oversight) to provide them with a job and money. The produce would provide food for the natives. The waste from the field would be used to produce ethanol for the equipment, machinery, and vehicles.

I have this thing about food. If I see that someone is deprived of food, it makes me mad.
Old 06/26/2006, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I'd give them all away too. But unlike Buffet, I would want to be more involve in the decisions making of the philanthropy causes.

44 Billion dollars, that's a lot of money.
Old 06/26/2006, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

So many people live on less than a dollar a day, its sad. The other day, I saw on PBS documentary about micro-credit. I think they should do more of that. Don't give it away, lend it. Teach them to fish instead of fishing for them.
Old 06/26/2006, 10:58 AM
Stop touching me!!!

OK, I did just change it. 5 minutes ago, Microsoft was founded by Brian D. I just made up Bill Gates and put him in charge.
Old 06/26/2006, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
I'd give them all away too. But unlike Buffet, I would want to be more involve in the decisions making of the philanthropy causes.

44 Billion dollars, that's a lot of money.
One of the stipulations of his gift is that at least one of the Gates will always be running the charity. I think that means he likes the way they've done the job so far and doesn't think it would be helpful to stick his head in. I believe Buffet also likes to keep himself real busy, so maybe he just doesn't have time.

The smartest guys are the ones who know what they don't know. Maybe he doesn't want to presume to think he knows more about how money should be spent in a particular place than the foundation's experts: no one likes not being able to do their job the right way because someone up top has a pet idea.

And he is getting old. Maybe he had one of those "you can't take it with you" moments.

Dan
Old 06/26/2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I would buy ReefCentral.com and then make Nina a moderator, but I would make librty9 and pnosko staff members so that she could have no effect on them whatsoever. Then I would sit back and watch the fun. Hey, wait a minute...

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 06/26/2006, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

if i could change the world,,,hmm,,,,,

its be nice for awhile, but someone would screw it up royaly and we would have a whole new bunch of problems.

sometimes i think the the biggest problem with humanity is the human race.

Yes, I'm the One and only Witty~
Old 06/26/2006, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

If I could do anything -- All this silliness about the color of a person's skin, what religion they hold, what tribe they belong to, what their gender is, what language they speak, what their gender preference is.... all that silliness would just go away.
Let's each value each other based on what we do for each other and recognize that real strength is in our sameness.
Old 06/26/2006, 08:45 PM
Stop touching me!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by batguano
I would buy ReefCentral.com and then make Nina a moderator, but I would make librty9 and pnosko staff members so that she could have no effect on them whatsoever. Then I would sit back and watch the fun. Hey, wait a minute...
Trust me, Nina (and the mods) has no effect on either of us anyway...
Old 06/26/2006, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Specifically, stem cell and cancer research.
Old 06/26/2006, 09:21 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by purduefan
If I could do anything -- All this silliness about the color of a person's skin, what religion they hold, what tribe they belong to, what their gender is, what language they speak, what their gender preference is.... all that silliness would just go away.
Let's each value each other based on what we do for each other and recognize that real strength is in our sameness.

WELL SAID..........I would eliminate greed......Then everthing else would follow...
Old 06/26/2006, 09:26 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I would put some towards solar & wind power
Installation & research
Old 06/26/2006, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

The beauty of the human race is in our differences, our strength in our sameness. We all have gifts and limits....................
Old 06/26/2006, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
I would put some towards solar & wind power
Installation & research

But would you ever get your house done???

I'd probably drop dead right on the spot if I came into that kind of money!!!

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 06/27/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

well I would make everybody equal, race, color, sex, and status. Nobody would be better, or worse. But I think the world needs to stop and think about what they are doing. They are destroying their home. Habitat destruction. Pollution. Eventually we are going to destroy the world. Well a lot of animals have become extinct due to us. and look at it this way if their are more humans then trees then we would be depleted of oxygen. But I would stop habitat destruction and pollution set up several wildlife preserves, and make everyone equal.
Old 06/27/2006, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

i'd buy as much land (worldwide) as i could. especially large parcels. to try to preserve some of the dwindling species.

Old 06/27/2006, 06:34 AM
Stop touching me!!!

I'd buy as much land (worldwide) as i could. especially large parcels and turn it all into offroad parks and shooting ranges!
Old 06/27/2006, 07:51 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by lbrty9
I'd buy as much land (worldwide) as i could. especially large parcels and turn it all into offroad parks and shooting ranges!

You could buy the odd ocean or two and sink things,
Old 06/27/2006, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by witfull
if i could change the world,,,hmm,,,,,

its be nice for awhile, but someone would screw it up royaly and we would have a whole new bunch of problems.

sometimes i think the the biggest problem with humanity is the human race.
Well put.
Old 06/27/2006, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Stop human overpopulation.
Old 06/27/2006, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lbrty9
Or you could just to TX now Shooting ranges and off road tracks aren't in short supply here!
Old 06/27/2006, 10:25 AM
Moved On

I WOULD BUY THE WORLD A COKE
Old 06/27/2006, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I would buy enough bourbon and red meat to eat and drink myself into a coma, then I'd pay brilliant research scientists to find a cure (arranged ahead of time of course).

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 06/27/2006, 10:41 AM
Stop touching me!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mike4271
You could buy the odd ocean or two and sink things,
I ALREADY pwn the oceans...