Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2006, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Mitzel, ...LOL.
Old 06/20/2006, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Actually I think I had the facts wrong about that eel tank, both sharks did die but the three eels were each given away to new homes when the tank was crashing. Not quite as bad but the tank still was a failure.
Old 06/20/2006, 05:14 PM
Moved On

When you first said the eels were dead I was trying to figure how long did that lfs allowed them to attack one another until it caused their deaths for it would took some time before those eels killed one another, not in any attack would they keep coming, other then if they were in catching a prey for eels do however have a docile side to them even those three giants.

I am glad they lived for if the lfs people not done what they did, at least two the eels would had been killed off. So as saying, it would had failed just the same, just too bad that store not realized in what they were doing could had never work out.

Im just glad they woke up when they did
Old 06/21/2006, 10:43 PM
Premiun Member

Look at my two vicious eels. Don't they look like they hate each other! They are so territorial and are always fighting

I am actually more scared of some of the damsels in the tank than i am of these two. I can pet them and they don't seem to mind (Famous last words).

Buddy, are saying these two will eventually fight, even though they are buddies now?
Old 06/21/2006, 11:38 PM
Moved On

Triterium, I have lost count to how many had any mix of animals in certain aquarium sizes for like a lionfish with their eel, or a stonefish that they too had shown pictures of the buddy, buddies behavior and that so point after the fish were down the eels throat.

The ending of things are always the same that one or both will begin to show their own true personalities as nature had giving them. Now I will say your buddies will coexist for an unknown specific time period which could be months or a year or longer, for nevertheless, the ending results will be as the same for which the true nature of the tess eels are solitary species that not even a male or female hang together other then they mated and parted ways.

In the wild, always with caution able to pet the tess moray, one sure way about it was I had a fresh fish and also you better to be more careful as well even with the tess in your tank for don`t forget, your an eel there that which can bite in half a fish if it wants it as its meal, do not become careless thinking it be always welcomed to pet the eel. Specially if you an amount of LR which they would feel be their lair. Also they will move or better yet strike faster then you can withdraw your hand.

Im sure that in that 1000 gal tank people thought the very same thing, the eels were buddies for not forget one small detail Triterium, the Tess and green both swim openly no matter time of day when their a certain size and in the wild they do look to avoid one another and having them in a tank, there be no way that one can move away from the other.

Again I exercise my freedom here in giving you a warning in this, that it all be a matter of timing to when your tank goes boom and you start to view battle scares, if you feel they never will behave as they should normally do, this would be your choice of decision for the time being, because of what your seeing, your too believe they can coexist in which for some unknown time frame, they will seem as they could.

Right now, you be the only person I know who two large growing eel species in one tank, and I know of a small number who has one in a tank. Also some those I not see that they talk any more of their tess morays, so it could be that some them already giving up on the idea of keeping such an eels.

The eels will grow and not their full size in so short a time period for they will grow fast it seems at times and slower at other times for the eels do take a good number of years too grow and grow they will, you cannot stop or prevent the time bomb that is in their normal aggressive behavior.

I do know Triterium that of what im saying is something you not care to hear, but do please hear it and think of what im saying

Buddy
Old 06/22/2006, 04:31 AM
Premiun Member

Buddy, have you ever heard of someone keeping two tessalatas in a 180 gallon? If you haven't then you're just assuming it won't work. My tessalatas are the most passive eels i have ever kept. The zebra eel is far more aggressive; chasing my hand when im cleaning the tank. In the area of keeping two tessalatas in one tank, there is a good chance i have more experience than you do. Please tell me if you have any direct or indirect experience with this. For some reason, there is the crazy idea that tessalatas are super aggressive. I think someone a while back posted that and everyone has been repeating it ever since. In MY experience, tessalatas are extremely docile. And guess what... the only eel i have that chases fish is the zebra! Hmm, well thats weird. Everyone here says the zebra is the least aggressive eel. I guess these are just stereotypes and different eels of the same species may behave differently.

I've followed a lot of the threads in this forum. I know you mean well, but you are constantly telling people they have too small of a tank or have other criticisms for them. I do appreciate what you are trying to do, but it can just come across wrong sometimes. Thank you for your concerns. I will watch their behavior closely in the future. If i notice aggression between then, i will certainly do something about it. Until that time, i will enjoy keeping them together.

BTW, why do you keep on bringing up the 1000 gallon tank? I have no idea what you're talking about. Please direct me to that thread so i might learn something. Using that as evidence that my tank will fail doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by Triterium; 06/22/2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06/22/2006, 08:01 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Buddy, have you ever heard of someone keeping two tessalatas in a 180 gallon? If you haven't then you're just assuming it won't work. My tessalatas are the most passive eels i have ever kept.
That`s a word I`ve heard before, you are assuming for the only people who say that word are the ones who do things like yourself and be told that it will not work.

Quote:
In the area of keeping two tessalatas in one tank, there is a good chance i have more experience than you do.
Why sure you have there one experience that no one has ever had, not even in a city aquarium system. But you will start making some preparations for the worst, will you? Just to be ready when things goes wrong

Quote:
In MY experience, tessalatas are extremely docile
I had always pointed out that all eels when fed well and so on, all have a docile side to them, even the yellowhead moray.
All eels in their own right when hungry will show a certain level of aggression, even towards their own and this is where your downfall will be.

Quote:
And guess what... the only eel i have that chases fish is the zebra! Hmm, well thats weird.
That is weird, specially since there main diet consist of crab

Quote:
Everyone here says the zebra is the least aggressive eel
They are the less aggressive of any moray eel species, it must be that you aren`t feeding it as correctly what you should.

Quote:
you are constantly telling people they have too small of a tank or have other criticisms for them.
For one thing, I am not the only person who says a tank be too small a tank for what one has and as for this criticism you say, you must have been talking to an ex buddy of mine who thinks he knows all the answer for other people problems but never he has the answers for why each year his fish died on him. And that person would giving you criticisms straight forward and I will not give you something as that, you can do whatever you wish, I to try and offer you what assistance I may or you reject my views to which is your right to do, but never make the mistake that I am criticizing you for anything here.

Quote:
BTW, why do you keep on bringing up the 1000 gallon tank?
That was to wake you up on that a far larger tank then your own couldn't support the size and territory of the eels and that I mention now 3x is it, that your tank is less then 1/5 its size and your two tess morays. In time if you had just one tess, you learn much later that if it lives to be as near to its full normal size, that a 180 is too small a tank for any Tesselata moray long term, meaning in which for the eels life span.

Quote:
Please direct me to that thread so i might learn something. Using that as evidence that my tank will fail doesn't make any sense.
It does make sense being that you think I am assuming much.

Just say you no wish to hear what wont work in your tank and you not hear anything from myself again, for if it is that I am only wasting time, then I prefer to return to other things I want to do in coral selections for two reef tanks.

I not mind in trying to help one as yourself, but if you be sounding as you are, I not wish to waste anymore of my time
Old 06/22/2006, 12:49 PM
Premiun Member

They are the less aggressive of any moray eel species, it must be that you aren`t feeding it as correctly what you should.

Don't think that you know my system better than I or assume you know the reason.

Why are you telling me about the 1000 gallon? Unless they had two tessalatas, i don't see why it matters that THEIR sytem didn't work. What eels did they have? What happened? Give me a link so i can understand what you are trying to say.

I would be happy to get rid of one (or both) of my eels if you can give me some evidence SPECIFIC to tessalatas. All you have done so far is say the lack of evidence is evidence. You have never heard of two tessalatas co-existing so it must not be possible. Or that they are solitary animals in the wild. Show me instead of tell me.

I really do appreciate your concern and the time you are taking to reply to me. It's hard to tell the true meaning or feelings over text like this. Im not just trying to argue with you, i really do value what you say. I admit that I may be wrong and am very open to outside opinions(even though it doesn't appear that way). With all due respect though, real experiences speak a lot louder than anything else. I would love to read the thread about the 1000 gallon tank. I am still pretty new to this hobby and i see that you have FAR more experience in this area. Sorry if i come across as stubborn (which i may be).

Like I said before though, I will only keep this aquarium for another year before i get rid of it. Im not sure what i'll do with the eels. If what you are saying is true about these animals, i feel bad they are even sold to hobbyists. Some animals should be kept in the ocean. I hope the best for these eels and would never want to provide them with a poor environment to live in. Perhaps a public aquarium would take them.

Thank you
Old 06/22/2006, 12:55 PM
Premiun Member

I do admit though that people that end up failing (like I may) don't post their experiences for the whole world to read. So negative experiences may be hard to come by. So perhaps the lack of evidence in this case, is in fact evidence.

Either way, with your concerns, i will definately watch them more closely and be prepared to act if something goes wrong.
Old 06/22/2006, 01:41 PM
Moved On

Triterium, I give up with you, and only because your new too the hobby that you need to learn something the hard way, I am sorry that but for those who put a system together and only because for the time being, your species appears to get along. In time you will have a lesson well learned the hard way, being that you want proof and all for know that you can search the internet on this eel and yet get little to no results other then basic information to whereas if you were to go diving and see one of these eels near to full growth, you might then know something more to what you really have there.

For also not forget, that the Tess morays are not full grown adults for you want I to prove they will become aggressive and im telling you that action is only a madder of time to come. You be the witness yourself as well as the proof your looking for.

I had figured that you had these eels not too long, so give it time and you will be the proof you seek, your own eyes as the saying goes. This is another issue to where some new person needs to learn it the hard way. I only hope the eels not suffer so badly because of it.

I just a thought, why don`t you email that store that did that 1000 tank, explain to that lfs you tank and inhabitants and what would they suggest to you on what you are doing.

Stubborn? Many beginners or novice hobbyists are and also note that it will never be easy to get rid those eels, not even to any city aquarium for you can even offer it to a city aquarium for free, they will not be crazy about taking something as a tess moray for they couldn't even put one in their shark tanks for a good many sharks prey on eels.

Why don`t you call now to check if they ever be interested in a Tess. Maybe 40 years ago or so or maybe you be lucky that their care taker person not know what he be getting, for one other city aquarium did this same thing with a large octopus placing it with 3-5' sharks. I was shocked that they had no idea in what they were doing.

As I said, you can do what you want that`s your business, I have a busy week until after the end of this weekend and will take no more time in trying to convince you to what it is you really have there.

If you ever will wish to chat with me again on the subject of eels, I would be more then willing to do so, but you have too meet me halfway. You then can send me a private message, I will have no more to say until then.

Buddy ><{{{{">
Old 06/22/2006, 02:34 PM
Premiun Member

Thank you Buddy,
This is getting a little off topic and a bit out of hand. I will PM you. Thank you for your advice.

I agree with your sentence....

There would be more successful marine hobbyists if only there was more patience.

I hope i'm not guilty of that and i hope my eels do not suffer for my ignorance.
Old 06/22/2006, 03:40 PM
Moved On

Hi Adam, I was more expecting a message from you here of a short of nastiness for that is the way many act like in what they hear in what they are doing wouldn't work, for some short term, your tank will work, but not long term.

I see the site you offered as your trusted info site? but know this, I a pair of Dragon morays, most people here know this and I had them a long time and not until a month ago did they reached their full normal size.

They will grow those Tess eels, it will take much time before they ever grow their normal size in which is anywhere from 8-9' (If not smaller then 7') for I heard of a record size of 10', but this could never be confirmed.

Those eels will grow and out grow the tank you have they will, not unless you cause them stun growth in which then they would not live nearly as long as they should for they will live some where over 50 years and then again I no proof to offer. Also one other site list a tank at 55 gal for a tess moray and a matter a fact, they list all the species they sell good in a 55.

Now you said I talk as I know it all, I never ever said such words, there are any number of things I not know and someone else could for I been having all type of moray species through five decades in which after some 14 years ago, decided to have the eels of choice for their life span.

You talk as if I made demands or something, that you should have an attitude with me, it not sounds as so that your appreciable of what I was trying to get a cross to you.

Also another thing, when a site list a minimum tank size for that species, it usually means for that one species only and not two or three other eels. For when one wishes to have more species then the listed tank size, you need to make that tank far larger then you have now.

And as far as perfect strangers go that you not wish to take up on advise, then why did you join RC, for everybody or almost everybody is a stranger to you?

As this one thing you said that "I know that the animals behavior can be significantly changed by being forced into captivity" That is not true, it not to do within captivity but as in part of their true nature.

I see being you will not let me pass you by, I will ask you not to again send me a message and believe whatever you want, that your doing best or whatever, I am done within trying to assist you because I see where your going and I want no part in people attitudes, you not believe me, then leave it in that way, those sales people not keep many those eels. It is really easy for sales sites to list a minimum tank size, you will find much discussion on tank requirements for a great many marine species.

Good Bye and best of luck

I am done here, so please not persist me in trying to talk to you further. You made your mind up in not trusting others as well as you feel you know in what your doing.
Old 06/22/2006, 04:06 PM
Premiun Member

I'm sorry for being stubborn. Thank you for your time. I will definately post if i run into problems in the future (I'm not too proud to admit when im wrong). I probably agree with you that keeping two of these eels isn't the best idea, but since i haven't been presented with any evidence and am having good success, i will keep them for now. (yeah i guess i do sound inflexible with my ideas) I will watch them closely and remove them if/when a problem arises. I hope that is not irresponsible of me. Hopefully i can see signs of an impending problem before i wake up and have a dead eel. When I graduate from medical school, i wish to get back into this hobby and keep eels again; perhaps even the dragon morays that you are keeping. They are beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 06/23/2006, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Triterium, my parents have two tess eels in a 210 for about 8 years both are about 4 foot. They get along fine. They plan on setting up custom 800 gallon tank soon. Each eel is going to have their own personality. Just like certain people. Dont lose any sleep.
Old 06/23/2006, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

By th way your tess eel are beautiful.
Old 06/23/2006, 04:19 PM
Premiun Member

Thank you Yasha, that's the sort of experience i was hoping for. Do you remember the size of the eels when they first got them?

Experience speaks louder than speculation!
Old 06/23/2006, 08:34 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Experience speaks louder than speculation!
As your remark states, experience speaks louder than speculating for you said it yourself, your this eel for a very short time and having it for a short while not mean that one is in full knowing of what they own.

Yes, your tess are beautiful eels that also not belong in just any home aquarium.

If you feed this tess a wide variety of nutritional foods, it will grow as it should, but feed it not so good, well, your an expert now, you figure it out.

I do trust you will do all the right things for your tess moray eels long term health

I nothing to say more as for tank size or anything else I tried talking to you about, so do enjoy your eels as you had planned too. I mean, I had enjoyed every moray species I had ever owned for the last six decades.

I look to hear that all is doing fine in another six months as well in a year from now
Old 06/23/2006, 09:14 PM
Premiun Member

I have had the eels together for about 6 months with no problems.

Yasha, do you have any pictures you could post?