Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/14/2006, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Is this Caulerpa verticillata?

I'm looking for an ID on this algae. It hitchhiked in, and I actually like the way it looks so I've left it alone. When it gets out of hand it's easy to harvest, so I don't really worry about it taking over the tank. As far as I can tell this is some sort of Caulerpa, but it's incredibly small. The best guess I have is C. verticillata.

Here are some pictures, hopefully they're detailed enough for an ID. For size reference I included a picture with some GSP. This frag is actually where the algae originally started growing, now it's spreading all over the place.

Old 06/15/2006, 11:46 AM
Sea cowgirl

Definitely Caulerpa verticillata.. its the only one that has that Cambomba-like frond structure. You remember Cambomba right Blinky? Heheh. Both of us are pretty much converted to salt.

>Sarah
Old 06/15/2006, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the ID!
There's something captivating about salt, isn't there? I originally planned on one SW tank but I've ended up converting them all, one by one. I love my little 10g planted FW, but then again, it would look so nice as a little reef...
Old 06/16/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

ACBlinky, This is a nice looking algae and I agree its verticillata. In my case it wasn't easy to harvest as the stems are very thin and reach into all the LR. Any trimming would only lop off the top fronds and the algae would respond by growing lower to the base of the rock making it more difficult to trim again. Spreads like crazy if conditions are good.

Mine got so out of control I had to break down the tank and rebuild my system. In a way this was a good thing since the new system is much more capable of handling nutrients the algae hasn't taken off. It is slowly growing unlike before.

Good luck.
Old 06/18/2006, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

It's growing fairly slowly so far, probably because the lighting isn't as strong as the algae would like (2*15W T8 & a few hours of afternoon sun). It really does hang on tight, but I've found that if I'm patient and use a blunt pair of tweezers I can get a good grip and pull out fairly large sections, roots and all. The one place it's hard to harvest is on the GSP - it grows over the mat of the coral and when it gets thick enough, the GSP stays closed until I clean house. My clown isn't helping matters though... she's decided it's great fun to grab mouthfulls of the stuff, shake it like a terrier with a rat, then spit it all over the place
Old 06/19/2006, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

WOW! That is an AWESOME caulerpa!
Old 06/22/2006, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Does this look like the same stuff? I have a few patches of this popping up and have had no reason to remove it because it looks great waving in the flow.

Old 06/25/2006, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

No, not at all similar; I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like any type of Caulerpa to me. I'd definitely post and ask for an ID, that's a very clear picture and someone should be able to tell you what it is or at least what family it's in.
Old 06/26/2006, 11:11 AM
Sea cowgirl

It almost looks like a super clear and upclose picture of Bryopsis, which can get that plumed look at the tops. I think B. pennata does it. Other species may as well. Blinky's right though, it doesnt seem to show the spiral structure and arrangement of the fine 'leaves' in Caulerpa verticillata.

>Sarah
Old 06/28/2006, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Anyone know what eats Verticillata