Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Question SCWD Wavemaker

I was wondering if anyone is using the SCWD (squid) wavemaker in their setup. It looks simple and effective, but it was the companies website that said so therefor who really knows. I'll be running a GenX-40 through it at about 1150 gph, so any advice on if it is a good idea would help.
Jk
Old 06/18/2006, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

I use one on a closed loop hooked to a mag 12.Been running it about 18 months.No problems & very little maintenance.Good amount of flow & get a current switch about every 6-8 seconds.HTH
Old 06/18/2006, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

I was going to get a SCWD but they never came out with the larger one; like they stated.
Old 06/18/2006, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

I have been running one for about a year now on a closed loop with a mag9.5. I love it, never had any problems.
Old 06/18/2006, 08:35 PM
Team RC Member

I've been running one for a little over 2.5 years now. Its on an Oceanrunner 3500 pump in a closed loop configuration. Never had a problem with it.
Old 06/18/2006, 08:44 PM
Generic Member

I didn't have such good luck. Mine was used on Mag9.5 return pump.

SCWD #1 worked good for ~ 6 months. Flow gradually slowed down to the point it was a problem. Started switching every 6 sec, slowd to 60 sec. Vinegar soaking, cleaning did not fix it.

SCWD #2 had a leak in the seam. They had a batch that had this problem. It was very minor and sealed itself after a few days. Switched every 6 sec for ~ 4 months, slowed down to every 20 sec. Cleaning didn't fix it either.

I had a big foam prefilter on the Mag, but it didn't help. My ca is nothing really high, ~ 400 - 410. Both of them cut the flow of the Mag9 down to that of a mag5 which is a huge loss. You are better off with a pump that can handle the high head pressure like an Eheim.

I now run an OM Squirt and it works flawlessly.

JME
Old 06/18/2006, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

I love mine. I did have one fail, decide to improve on the broken part and make it cleanable. Click on my little red house and check out the MOD. Very simple to do and make is more reliable.

Old 06/18/2006, 09:40 PM
Generic Member

ICURN, I've seen that thread. Absolutely amazing. Possibly one of the best DIY I've seen. VERY nice work!
Old 06/19/2006, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

sjm817,

Thanks!!
I hope a few people get some good out of it.

Old 06/19/2006, 12:10 AM
Moved On

Re: SCWD Wavemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by jjk82901
I was wondering if anyone is using the SCWD (squid) wavemaker in their setup. It looks simple and effective, but it was the companies website that said so therefor who really knows. I'll be running a GenX-40 through it at about 1150 gph, so any advice on if it is a good idea would help.
Jk
Have same exact setup. It will work fine. Use the 3/4 returns
Old 06/19/2006, 12:17 AM
Moved On

If this is for a 72 bow, as you show, another way to go is sea swirl, also have it setup with pc-40, in center of 160 , with scwd on the outer edge, a 72 boe would love the sea swirl, i have that tank also, not currently setup
Old 06/19/2006, 12:24 AM
El Jefe de WRS

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

In it there is a link to nano-reef.com where I have a thread that tells you how to bore out and mod a SCWD to hadle more flow and be able to clean it.
Old 06/19/2006, 12:29 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ICURN
I love mine. I did have one fail, decide to improve on the broken part and make it cleanable. Click on my little red house and check out the MOD. Very simple to do and make is more reliable.
Went to your site/ what a great job. I commend you.
Old 06/19/2006, 12:47 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Gee Wiz...that looks very familiar to the ones I was doing over at NR a while ago...see for yourself...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=76847
Old 06/19/2006, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

Mag 9.5 started with 4 second per switch in my setup. slowed to 8 after 3 months. Tried cleaning it and only able to back get 6 seconds. Seems to be an issue many have had.. other than that after a year the thing is working great still.
Old 06/19/2006, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rivalpc
Mag 9.5 started with 4 second per switch in my setup. slowed to 8 after 3 months. Tried cleaning it and only able to back get 6 seconds. Seems to be an issue many have had.. other than that after a year the thing is working great still.
How big of pvc did you use for the intake? outputs? I just put a Mag 9.5 on mine w/ a 1 1/4" intake, 3/4" outputs (1 1/2" looked really bulky). Anyway based on my cal and info from their site I muct only be getting 450-500 gph w/ my 6 second switching time.

So much for 90% efficiency. I was hoping to pull at least 600.
Old 06/19/2006, 12:51 PM
El Jefe de WRS

You can use 1.5" cleanout adapters and plugs. I used these on all of mine (Ive modded a few dozen for friends and such by now). Glue them on with PVC cement at first...the body of the SCWD is ABS and melts to PVC very well. Then go around with Weldon #16 to cover any gaps and add some strength to the seal. Have put the cleanouts on both ends of the SCWD, one to get at the trap door, and the other to get at the intake prop should it get clogged. Then I dremel off the outputs and replace them with 3/4" CPVC. The flow goes up by a good 50% or so with this mod.
Old 06/19/2006, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

coralcat:
Can you tell me how you made your closed loop? I tried the one on melevs site, but i could not get it to work. i was using the same pump, but it produced soo many bubbles and was extremly loud...
Thanks
Old 06/19/2006, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

the bubble should go away after a little bit, a few seconds. Otherwiese it is getting air from somewhere else that isn't sealed.

Also make sure that the intake is larger than the outputs. If your pump is dragging a little that is probably the cause. Most Mags tell you to double the inlet. I only used a 1 1/4" for my Mag 9 and it does ok. I might try a mod from hahnmeister. Or I might just wait and put a Polario on later are get rid of the scwd & pump.

I'm leaning toward the turbine pump right now.