Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/25/2006, 09:45 AM
1/2 century and counting

Great close ups Looks like they are different species. Care to elaborate about where you found them in your tank(s) and what they were doing when you caught each of them?
Old 05/25/2006, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Here are a couple more short videos...

A friend gave me a Xenia "bush" that my powder blue tang proceeded to much to bare rock. After a month or so, the rock seems to be growing new Xenia... here's a video of the baby polyps, about 1.5cm across... and they just started pulsing.
Baby Xenia

Here's a video of my new Heteractus magnifica (Ritteri) anemone. He's been crawling around for about 2 days looking for a comfortable spot, but I've got him trapped on a rock "tower." My clownfish stared at it for 3 hours before nipping at it... at the 4 hour mark, she dove right in and they've been inseperable since.
Anemone & Clown

DS
Old 05/25/2006, 06:59 PM

Nice! That Xenia really looks healthy.
Old 05/27/2006, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beverly
Great close ups Looks like they are different species. Care to elaborate about where you found them in your tank(s) and what they were doing when you caught each of them?
i didnt do a lugols dip b4 i put in some zoo's from my LFS is how my tank contracted them. i notice a few a couple of days later. came here read for 3-4 hours and figured flat worm exit was my choice of annillation. these 2 were sucked out prior to the death ray and put in a cup of aqua water. im not sure why the one is brown colored. they all appeared to be the same in the bucket i put them in after using a baster to remove as many as i could after death.

i took this photo of the one from the video in my previous post b4 going under the scapel.

Last edited by dga; 05/27/2006 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05/27/2006, 10:30 AM
Evan in colorado

How do you post vidios?
Old 05/28/2006, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

I was playing around with a camcorder the other night and shot a little video so I editied it together real quick. The video focuses mainly on the fish of the tank. There's 2 versions, the small is 10 megs and the large is around 70 megs, I would right click on the link and then save them to your computer before watching them

Badfish Small Version (10 Megs)

Badfish Large Version (74 Megs)
Old 05/28/2006, 12:29 PM

great vids. really nice collection of fish and the tank looks sweet.
Old 05/28/2006, 04:19 PM
Moved On

first time ever using this cam to shoot film so.. forgive the out of focus and such
mainly just wanted to show the mystery animal ( looks like feather dusters almost)
and the way my corals move in the water
Old 05/29/2006, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goda
first time ever using this cam to shoot film so.. forgive the out of focus and such
mainly just wanted to show the mystery animal ( looks like feather dusters almost)
and the way my corals move in the water
you might want to practice more b4 posting.
Old 05/30/2006, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Hey everyone, got a quick question. Unfortunately i dont have a video camera and so many other things to spend my money on but i enjoy this thread and everyone else's videos. Nice tanks, but when i first enter this thread I see somewhat of a list of vids that melev composed, however, is there any thread off of this one or anywhere on RC that has a list of all the posted videos i can go to. It gets very tedious to go through each of these pages, most of which have no videos??????? or should i just keep fricking clicking
Old 05/30/2006, 11:54 AM
TRC Leader

Always go to Page 1. The moderator posts all of them in the first two or three posts of Page 1.
Old 05/31/2006, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Hey guys.... Man it's been a while since I even checked on this thread.... Sorry .. I'm glad to see it's still trucking strong.. I've been busy with the house ( getting trees cut down and putting in a pool ) .... Just got back from Oklahoma City then turned right around and went off to NC...

I promise to be a little more attentive ...

Bob
Old 06/06/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

good stuff so far
Old 06/16/2006, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

may i join ?

here is my first try..

72 gal Reef
Old 06/16/2006, 09:20 AM

3f_p@L Wow! Great video. Lots of action on that reef. That BTA is *****in. Wacky download site. Good job!
Old 06/17/2006, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

thanx jonathan, i bought that bta about 4 month ago, and it grows and grows everyday
Old 06/17/2006, 09:07 AM

Mine kept growing too and got to about 22". Then, two weeks ago it split into 3 new GBTAs. OUCH!
Old 06/17/2006, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Mine kept growing too and got to about 22". Then, two weeks ago it split into 3 new GBTAs. OUCH!
btw, congrats jonathan!!
Old 06/17/2006, 11:41 AM

Yeah well I don't know if it's such a good thing. In a smaller system it would be a real problem for sure. Right now they have separated themselves by about 1.5 feet and are starting to poke out during daylight. The 2 maroon clowns are kept very busy trading off from one to another...it's kind of strange really.
Old 06/20/2006, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishman805
Hey guys.... Man it's been a while since I even checked on this thread.... Sorry .. I'm glad to see it's still trucking strong.. I've been busy with the house ( getting trees cut down and putting in a pool ) .... Just got back from Oklahoma City then turned right around and went off to NC...

I promise to be a little more attentive ...

Bob
Hey Bob! How's the pool coming? Pool party invite coming? Hope everyone is having a good summer.

I'm having major problems suddenly with my vids, and need some help. Ever since my major PC crash last summer, I don't have all the compression utilities I used to, and can't remember what half of them were!

So, I always capture into Videowave. Render the first round as .avi (they're usually over a gig). Then my second round I'll create .wmv files, but the fine line of decent resolution vs size is killing me. Even converting the .avi's to divx isn't doing the trick because the files are still upwards of 40-50mb.

So, Beverly, Marc, anyone, give me a layout of tools I should use again, or settings you guys are using. You know me, most of my videos are at least 5 minutes (and don't ask me to chop them down!! )

Marc, btw, I'm really thinkig of hitting MACNA...you'll be there I assume, right?

thx all!
Old 06/20/2006, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

I use Windows Movie maker to shrink my avis down. Can take a 9 gb uncompressed avi and turn it into a 30 mb file.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 06/20/2006, 12:09 PM

I still can't figure out how to use WIndows Movie Maker. Are you using it just to compress, or for other functions as well?
Old 06/20/2006, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

yeah I just use it to compress. I have access to a box with After Effects on it so I use that for all my editing stuff. Then render it out to uncompressed AVI. Then I bring it home on my portable hard drive. Then use movie maker to make a WMV. Sorta long process but it gets the job done.

I tried to render it in After Effects using DIVX and a few other compression things that were on the box but nothing got it as small a file with still decent viewing like Movie Maker. Melev suggested I try it and it worked out well.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 06/20/2006, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

I've used Movie Maker a ton, but the quality vs size of file still has that fine-line. Keep coming with ideas folks!
Old 06/20/2006, 02:36 PM
TRC Leader

I use Microsoft Movie Maker myself. I import the avi clips, edit them down, add music or mute the sound track, add titles, merge in any effects, and compress. I tend to choose options that give you a nice large image and the filesize is rather large, but then I don't run them as long as a full length song either. I just fade in and out what I need.

Yep, I'll be at MACNA. We plan to do some podcasting from there either during the day or at least at night from the bar. I don't know if we can handle vidcasting, but maybe if my laptop can handle the task. I'll have to test it out just to see, rather than finding out once I'm in Houston.