Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2000, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Question

I am interested in corals, mushrooms, rock, polyps and whatever. My 45g reef is JUST starting - it is actually just a future reef - but I could use some help getting it going.

I have about 35lbs of "live rock" that I bought from a guy on the internet, but unfortunately my experience has been bad so far. His rock was supposed to have great color and be covered in coralline and featherdusters - needless to say it is not. I also tried to buy 40 more pounds of rock twice, but had TWO different guys screw me by taking the cash and never shipping it - but I am not giving up! Apparently I have been unlucky as most reefers sound quite friendly and helpful.

Any help, advice, frags, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
FYI - I live in Nashville if anyone happens to be close or local.
Old 11/30/2000, 04:31 PM
RC Staff

Hi otter

I'm moving this to the general forum as you will get more looks there.

BTW,
[welcome]
Old 11/30/2000, 08:22 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Otter,
I live just outside of Nashville and I go the Aquatic Critter on Nolensville Rd. They have corals, and live rock and everything else you need to set up a reef tank.
Ask for Chris Begen, Ken, or Eben. These 3 guys helped me alot. IF it wasn't for them I wouldn't have a reef tank. I knew nothing about saltwater tanks except for the fact that I wanted to own a clownfish. I never even had much success with goldfish. They took me step by step on setting up a reef tank. They would tell me if something I was interested in was hard for a beginner to keep or if it would be to big for my tank or if it would be incompatible with something I already had put in my tank. I've had my 25gal. tank for 3yrs now and have been a lot more successful than I thought a beginner at this would ever be and it was because of these three guys. It has been a great joy for me and a great learning experience. I recently bought a 120 that I hope to get going early next year.
Good luck. TnReefer
Old 11/30/2000, 08:28 PM
Reefkeeping Ninja

Hi Otter and welcome.

Please give us a little more information on your tank (lighting, skimmer, other filtration) and what your goals for your tank are.

Doug

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."-- Confucius
Old 11/30/2000, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Otter
Save yourself problems and buy your live rock from lfs or mo company.There are a lot of online companies you can buy from a couple that are having a sale right now that i know of are.Flying Fish Express and Jeff's.
Bill
Old 11/30/2000, 08:43 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sorry, but somehow my reply ended up double posting.
TnReefer

[Edited by TnReefer on 11-30-2000 at 09:09 PM]
Old 11/30/2000, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Hi Otter and welcome.

Please give us a little more information on your tank (lighting, skimmer, other filtration) and what your goals for your tank are.

Doug
I have a 45g tank w/ two 96w PC bulbs (one is actinic) and one NO actinic. Magnum 350, CPR Bakpak2, 35lbs of "live" rock (it arrived practically colorless), two powerheads, Whisper 4000? power filter. I have two perculas, one yellow tang, two yellow clowns? of some sort, two yellow tail blue damsels and a scooter blennie. Various small hermits, snails, two emerald crabs and two peppermint shrimp. My trouble has been that I have wasted lots of cash w/ jerks who never follow through w/ senting me the items purchased. I am feeling good about the fish, but I need more rock, a host anenome and some corals, etc.

Anyone who can help w/ frags or anything CHEAPLY would be greatly appreciated.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.