Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > Inactive Club Forums > Columbia Marine Aquarium Club (C-MAC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/11/2006, 04:28 AM
Premium Member

CMAC Website Problems

The CMAC website has been down due to the loss of our domain name columbiamarineaquariumclub.org.

I will get a mass email out to all the members on the website when the new domain name is back up and running.

It is a long story, but suffice it to say that we won't get that domain name back for a month to a year. I am working through changing the domain name, but am having several difficulties.

Hopefully, it will be back online sometime Monday. Unfortunately, if it isn't back Monday it won't be back until after Wednesday due to my not having any time to work on it Tuesday.

So far I have been taking steps advised by our regular hosting company that each take quite a while to complete and propagate through the Internet.

godaddy.com was terrible with their customer service and appeared to be interested in only getting as much of our money as possible. The actuall hosting company so far has been very confused, but they have promised to fix it monday with a new domain name.

Jim...
Old 06/11/2006, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Jim,
Thanks for responding to my email so quickly and giving everyone a heads up to what is going on.

Kevin
Old 06/13/2006, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Thats odd that the domain went up for sale again. Sounds as if godaddy didnt renew the lease. Even odder is that the domain has been taken over by a corporation.
Old 06/13/2006, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Everyone that has had the domain since it expired is the same company from the looks of it. Their is a specific set of rules they are suppose to follow if the name expires, and I think this shuffling between companies lets them bend the rules to make more money.
Old 06/13/2006, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Yup, sell it between your sister companies and drive the price up. Happens all the time, especially on ebay and the like.

Who do you typically use for hosting and stuff reefmarker? I've always had good experience with icdsoft, they have great customer service too. Question turn around time is under 10 minutes, even at 3am. (had to use it a couple times when an online store went haywire)
Old 06/13/2006, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Hello Again Everyone!

I wasn't going to post again until the entire website was back online. But, since basically nothing has been done in the last 2 days, I figured I'd better.

The website will be down until at least Wednesday night. Time is rapidly running out on my ability to fix the site. I will be without computer access all of next week.

We are currently hosting the CMAC website with ipowerweb.com. They have normally been fantastic, but I think we have done something that they don't normally encounter. I could understand this taking longer than normal, but there is a limit. Today I got a message saying I needed to provide information that I could only get by calling them, and then they wanted to charge me another $50. We had already worked out that the $50 charge would not happen since it was their bad information that led us down this path. The entire issue with ipowerweb seems to be that they have 3 or 4 different groups that are allowed to do specific things, and no one in one group has any idea what the other group can really do! So, sales says do this (which cost money) and tech support can fix it. Tech support says they can't do that, but billing can do something similar. Billing says oh yeah, no problem, do this and filesupport will do this (both of these cost money). I blow up at this point and demand to talk to a supervisor who says everything else will be free and we're moved to the top of the work Q. File support says, we don't do that and we sure won't do it for free! And it goes on and on....

I can honestly say this is the first time ipowerweb.com has ever given me even a tiny bit of trouble. In the past they answered every question quickly, correctly, and the first time.
Old 06/13/2006, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Well, let me restate my opinion of Ipowerweb.com they are terrible. I was called a liar by a supervisor at ipowerweb.com just now. I can't believe that they would mess with me and tell me something for 3 days and then say nope, we won't do that without charging you a bunch of money!

What a crock....

Very, Very, Very unhappy with them. I have already fired off 2 emails to them complaining and I will be writting a letter to them complaining about the terrible service and complete lack of knowledge of how their own systems work. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Jim....

(Pulling my hair out!!!!)
Old 06/13/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear that Jim. Do you have the website backed up? If so, could we buy the .com version and throw it up there instead of the .org address (at least temporarily). It sounds like this is going to take a while for Ipowerweb to get their act straightened out...
Old 06/13/2006, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Yes, the website is backed up. But going from a backup to a functioning website is far from easy. That is what ipowerweb.com had promised they could do from the beginning. Well, actually from the beginning they said they could just repoint the new name to the old site, so no work for me at all.

The automatic backup that their system does actually doesn't work, so I am manually ftp'ing files from one site to the other.

There is also an issue with sql database files. The old system and new system don't like each others sql files. The entire forum system is in an sql database.

Then, you have to find every place that the old name was used and replace it with the new name.

I don't think Ipowerweb thinks they have any problems. I got the you are just one customer in our huge empire, go away commoner...
Old 06/13/2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Haha, I feel your pain Mr. Marker, I have minor experience with sql and php (basicly self taught) and it is not the easiest stuff to learn. I've never really messed with a forum though, only online stores and dynamic websites.

Last edited by SpYdeR468; 06/13/2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06/13/2006, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Well, something really weird happened just a while ago. Hopefully, it will turn out positively.

I was slowwwwwwly downloading all the original CMAC website files and I got a phone call. Well it was ipowerweb trying to talk me into paying for another website I run a month early and they would give me something free. Well, I unloaded on the poor guy. Turns out, he was in a position to make things right. He returned $50 that I never knew they took from me, and I never authorized. Also, he said he would get the website moved like it was originally promised. He also gave me a direct dial number so I can call him directly and avoid the waiting on hold to explain my problem to the 21st person.

So...maybe the website will be up Wednesday.
Old 06/13/2006, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Hopefully that guy can get something accomplished and is not just a sales person. I guess we'll find out soon enough...
Old 06/14/2006, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Glad to hear things have turned around a bit. We are routing for ya Jim.
Old 06/14/2006, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

eerrr, I meant to say "rooting" :-)
Old 06/14/2006, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Haha, rooting as in hacking a linux box or cheering for him?

Would be funny if someone hacked the box and set our website back up on their own.

Whoa, just noticed they took $50 from you and you never authorized? Thats crazy, sounds like these guys are not the best people to be doing business with if they are basicly stealing money from you.

Are they charging you money everytime you ask them for help with something? I've never heard of any hosting company doing that, usually help and restores and things are free.

I hope everything works out for us, this is a pretty weird situation. Maybe once you get the site back up, it would be a good thing to make a sticky thread saying "In case the site goes down again, see the CMAC forum on ReefCentral for information on upcoming meetings etc."
Old 06/14/2006, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

website is back with some growing pains / problems

www.columbiamac.org

Jim....
aka reefmarker