Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2006, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Bill-
This may seem like a silly question but is uni seal a type of glue or fitting and where can I find them? On another note you had mentioned that you thought about producing these, but thought the costs to be to much. Yet you stated that others of comparable range and function where $4000. You might be surprised at the response for good quality craftsmanship. Especially if your design has features and durability that none of the others do.

In my opinion $1500 dollars does not seem outrageos for a good high quality skimmer. It may be a little on the high end but that is what comes with good quality. Pay for what you get.

What are others opinions on this?
Old 05/26/2006, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, not skimmer. Calc reactor
Old 05/26/2006, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcgreen7
Bill-
This may seem like a silly question but is uni seal a type of glue or fitting and where can I find them? On another note you had mentioned that you thought about producing these, but thought the costs to be to much. Yet you stated that others of comparable range and function where $4000. You might be surprised at the response for good quality craftsmanship. Especially if your design has features and durability that none of the others do.

In my opinion $1500 dollars does not seem outrageos for a good high quality skimmer. It may be a little on the high end but that is what comes with good quality. Pay for what you get.

What are others opinions on this?
uniseal is a type of fitting similar to a bulkhead.

http://tinyurl.com/dtuv2
Old 05/26/2006, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Thank You-
That is what I thought but I was not sure.
Thanks again.

Justin
Old 05/26/2006, 12:22 PM
Moved On

I thought about making these , But I dont want to be likethe rest and turning a a product that doesnt work right or isnot not built the beat it could withteh best materials . So I guess Ill stick to my one off custom stuff . I dont mind making them one at a time . The 1500 would be for a large 10 inch one .
Uniseals are great . They dont crack the plastice and you can remove the tube if you need to.
Old 05/26/2006, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

I was unaware of these and have been fighting silicone and trying to find grommets the correct size with very little luck.
Old 05/26/2006, 12:30 PM
Moved On

Just amke suer you get the raluniseal not the cheapo fake ones. Also use the right size hole saw or they will leak .

Bill
Old 05/26/2006, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Just to toss and idea out
Has anyone seen anything about using a water softener pressure vessel for a CALCIUM REACTOR ? Its a fiberglass pressure vessel that is NSF rated and comes in many sizes. They have a nice threaded top to help plum it together.

http://www.derwentwatersystems.co.uk...e-vessels.html

Check out this thread. It seem to me that you inject the waterthrough a tube to the bottom and recirculate it from the top.
Old 05/26/2006, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Ok - I'm doin' it. Bye-bye nitrates! I ordered the sulfur beads, and I will put them in one chamber of my DIY reactor. The volume is about 3 gallons. I understand there should be a slow flow through the chamber. What if there is a Mag 5 for circulation, but then I drip it like a calcium reactor, so that the water spends a long time in the presence of the sulfur balls. Would this obtain the same result? Anyone?

Thanks!
Old 05/26/2006, 11:09 PM
Moved On

Hey Bill your Pm box is full... trying to contact you!!
Old 05/26/2006, 11:24 PM
Moved On

Its unfull now ,
Old 05/27/2006, 12:41 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Psionicdragon, the recirculating sulphur reactors are not bound by that 1% rule. That figure on that site is due to their design being a single pass unit (slow flow). A recirculating design can have a much smaller volume.

The rate of recirculation is not as important as with some calcium reactors...I would say that any decent size pump that gives you anywhere from 100gph to 1000gph would work.
Old 05/27/2006, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Bill what is the purpose of the center tube in your CA reactor, is this for CO2 pick-off? Super nice unit

You and Scott are inspirational to the DIY that's for sure
Old 06/17/2006, 04:41 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Hey bill,

How tall is the 6" denitratafier that you built, and what size tank was it for?

Or was it just a CA reactor?

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days