Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/25/2006, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

DIY AquaC Remora Surface Skimmer..anyone?

Has anyone built their own surface skimmer for the Remora skimmer? I get this oily film on my water and figured a surface skimmer box would help. But the one from AquaC is a bit...wait... WAYYYY too large for my little 20G tank. Any ideas on layout for the box? Anyone already have plans? It would be nice to shrink it down a bit from the ones you buy.

I'd also like this to be able to keep a piece of foam in to cut down on my microbubbles that this skimmer spits out. If anyone has ideas on how to make this thing, please let me know... I'm getting a headache from thinking so much. Thanks!
Old 05/25/2006, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

My LFS uses the $9.99 Fluval surface skimmer for their Remora.
It seems to work real well and takes up less space than the box.

In the past, I made a surface skimmer box from a fish container like this. I just cut off the part that hangs on the lip of the tank, and cut some teeth into the top edge. I glued suction cups on the back of the box. The box fits a Rio/MJ pump, but it's not big enough for a mag drive.

I no longer use the DIY box, but if I had do it again, I would use magnets instead of suction cups to hold the box in place.
Old 05/25/2006, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanks! That's smart thinkin'. I'm going to try and make one out of acrylic...we'll see how that works out.