Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/22/2002, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Clams and Lighting and HermS

I am new clams but saw this awesome one at the LFS when I first started my tank months ago. She has not sold him because she is wants to make sure the person has enough lighting in there tank. I have a 85w on a 20l with 4" dsb. I have a 20.000KNO 20w and 65w Pc 50/50. Would this be enough light. The lighting if very intense more so than the LFS. Also I have heard Hermits can be a bad thing I have two in my tank. After saying this should I even think about the Clam? Any info would be great.
Old 08/23/2002, 09:14 AM
RC Mod

Some quotes from Daniel Knop's book Giant Clams (P131)....

As a "minimal light source" for an aquarium populated with invertebrates, fluorescent tubes of different colour types may suffice....However, for the well-being of clams of the genus Tridacnidae such a light source may not provide the necessary light intensity.

He goes on to say...

I recommend metal halide "TS" lamps of 250 Watt (Osram TS 250W/D) and tube shaped lamps with the socket E27 or E40 (Osram T 250W/D). I also used halide lamps with 400, 1000, and 2000 Watt with no apparent negative effect on clams, traced back to the light source....250 Watt are used for tanks 60 cm high, 400 Watt with tanks of 80, and 1000 Watt with tanks of 100 cm water column. Lamps of 2000 Watt should only be used on tanks more than one meter high with a safety distance of at least 70 cm.

All your reefs are belong to us
Old 08/23/2002, 06:16 PM
Team RC Member

Great answer Minderaser!!!!! Also keep in mind that Mr. Knop also believes that the kelvin of the bulb should be between 65k and 10 k. This represents closely to what the clams would be used to in the wild. 20K lights look nice on some corals, but clams usually do not get this kind of lighting in the wild. Especially Crocea's and Maxima's who generally reside much closer to the surface of the ocean, where the lighting is most intense. Best of luck, and good to see someone asking good questions before making a purchase.
Old 08/23/2002, 09:17 PM
Moved On

In answering your question regarding hermits crabs.

IME & IMO I don't trust them. If a clam is in stress due to shipping and other things. Crabs might go after the clam and not give the clam a chance to recover from the stress. I have experienced this in the past. I had mentioned this in another thread. I have a clam that was REALLY stressed after being attacked by a CB and I took him out and placed him in a Q-tank and after a week he was fine. I would dare say, that would not be the case if I would have left him in the display tank with the hermits.

Barry
Old 08/24/2002, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for info

After talking to the store and you I decided to wait until I get a better lighting setup MH on a larger tank so I do not just kill the clam. Thanks for all the input.
Old 08/24/2002, 11:51 AM
Team RC Member

Old 08/24/2002, 11:55 AM
Moved On

You made a good decision.

When you get some better lighting you will really enjoy having clams.
Old 09/03/2002, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Got better light

Well I got a mh setup. ANd will be going to look at some clams at a great place in KC to get an idea of what I may want. THen I will order from Rob at East coast to get what I hope is the best clam for the Money right Rob .
I am sure I will enjoy. Also I am going to keep an eye on the herms. If they get out of control I will remove them.
Thanks