Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/05/2006, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

ro/di unit installation question

i want to know the easiest way to install an ro unit underneith my sink without using a saddle valve on the copper pipe. would a sink adaptor work on the flexible 1/2" pipe i've got under the sink? any one have any suggestions on the kind of adapter i need to buy? and where can i get one online?

thanks,
josh
Old 05/05/2006, 08:25 AM
Team RC Member

Most hardware stores including HD and Lowes sell a tee fitting that screws in right after the valve in the wall. You just unscrew the braided line you have there, screw in the new tee and put the braided line on one side and the RO on the other. Less than $5.
Old 05/05/2006, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

they also should have an in line needle valve on off, just install it bewtween the copper pipe and hook up your feed line to the valve so you can turn it on and off, I know I've got one somwhere but I'm sure I can't find it. Can be hard to seal up but it's less instrusive.
Old 05/05/2006, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

I used the adapter that AZDesertRat is talking about. It's a Watts BPAV-664. The instructions I got from AWI mention that you should use this adapter anyway if you have the braided hose installed (I do .. looks like you do too).

It cost me $10 at HD, super easy to install. I did have to take off one of the nuts in order to get my braided hose onto it (there was a nut on the hose already) .. other than that, cake. No leaks either!
Old 05/05/2006, 11:36 AM
Got Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Why are you not wanting to use a saddle valve? IMO very easy to install and safe.
Old 05/05/2006, 06:15 PM
Team RC Member

One big disadvantage of saddle valves is if you rent or plan to move you leave the valve behind and in the case of renting may not get part of your deposit back due to altering the plumbing. A saddle piercing valve also relies on a rubber gasket and o rings for sealing surfaces and can break down over time and leak.
Also they won't work on braided hoses like pictured.