Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/19/2002, 12:20 AM
West Coast reefin'

Frank,

I am doing this on my B3 right now. I am going from 1.5" into the 3/4" inlet of the old style beckett injector via a 2" x 3/4" PVC nipple. It works great. I tried running this reduction earlier in the line(I am running all 1.5" for my Ampmaster) and if I reduced it too far away(more than 6") the skimmer wouldn't run worth beans. But that is with an ampmaster which doesn't handle back pressure very well.

What is happening in effect is that you are creating another venturi. A venturi into a venturi. So you are speeding the water up even more. At least I assume so. That is with my limited fluid dynamics knowledge.

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 07/31/2002, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Another month, another bump!
Old 07/31/2002, 09:27 AM
10 & Over Club

Michael,

After all the conversations I've had with Frank and Mike (PM), I'm in the process of upgrading my B3 right now. Changing from a Iwaki 40RLT to a 70 and swapping to the new becket from PM with the 1" input. I'll keep you posted.

Jerel
Old 07/31/2002, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Jerel.

I was wondering because I'm thinking of buying used one and was concerned that I might not be able to upgrade to the new removable beckett. He's asking 315 for a B2 which includes shipping.
Old 07/31/2002, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Jerel,

You ran a 40rlt on your B-3 huh?

I have a choice of using a 40rlt or a mak4. I have a MR-2 (B-2).

I didn't think the 40rlt would work real well on my skimmer.

How did the 40rlt work for you?

I'm leaning towards the mak4 though.

The 70 should make that thing rock.

Jon
Old 07/31/2002, 11:34 AM
10 & Over Club

Michael, you just unscrew one and screw on the new one. The main difference is the input on the top. The old ones were 3/4" and the new ones are 1".

Jon, my problem is that as this tank gets older everything is growing and I'm having to feed a whole lot more. The angels alone are now 5-6" and the butterflies are hitting 3-4" plus all the "corals". The 40 ran the skimmer great for the past few years but now I'm trying to push this skimmer rather than spring for a bigger one that probably won't fit in the cabinet. I figured for the cost of the 55 I could just go to the 70 and choke it back if I needed too. I would hate to pay for a 55 only to figure out later that I should have bought the 70. OH, this is in the 450 tank. I'm sure in a smaller/lighter load tank you could get away with a smaller pump.

Jerel
Old 07/31/2002, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Jerel,

Thank you sir.

I didn't know if I could get away with the lower gph.

I'm gonna run the mak4 though.

Jon
Old 07/31/2002, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Michael, Jerel is correct, all you would have to do is simply unscrew the old becket and screw in the new one. And while on the topic of the 1" intake of the new beckett, for those that would be using a pump with a 3/4" outake (i.e. mak4, mag12/18, etc.), all you will need is a 3/4" threaded female -> 1" barbed adapter. You would then just attach 1" tubing from the adapter to the beckett intake. You will get the most out of your pump this way (avoid the use of any elbows from pump to injector).
Old 07/31/2002, 06:25 PM
10 & Over Club

Hey Jerel;
okay now were discussing the same stuff on a different thread.
I read your post above and didn't know why you wanted to change pumps until now.
So.... while your changing pumps also consider adding another riser section to your skimmer to increase the contact time, drying time, and allow you to push more air thru the skimmer (by increasing the water level in the skimmer another 4"). If you do decide on a mak4, 5, or iwaki 70, then the increase in riser size might be beneficial. Run it by Mike-hes the Guru. As you know the major difference in the B2 and B3 is height, the reaction box is pretty much standard, as is the beckett Its just more air movement, drying time and becuz you raise the water level in the box ( slightly -albeit hard to say what this does)-its just some sort of magic that seems to work better
Just a thought
frank.
Old 07/31/2002, 07:11 PM
10 & Over Club

Ok here we go again, I'm either trying to talk you into spending money - or you're trying to talk me into it.

I crawled in the cabinet and measured, it can go another 4" - but that's about it.

>consider adding another riser section to your skimmer to increase the contact time, drying time, and allow you to push more air thru the skimmer (by increasing the water level in the skimmer another 4").<

Mike will understand that? I'm going to quote you on that one cause I know I could never get it right. I might as well call him in the morning and get him on it. The pump isn't here yet anyway.

Thanks again Frank,

Jerel
Old 08/03/2002, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys, anybody know how much pm's new serviceable beckett upgrade is??
Old 10/12/2002, 08:33 PM
Premium Supreme Member

DJ88, with the inlet modified to 1.5", did you have to modify the outlet of the injector (what size now) to accomodate the increased volume?

Just wondering.

J
Old 10/12/2002, 09:40 PM
10 & Over Club

The B2 sounds like a great skimmer, my brand spankin new one should be here next week...........that is the one I WON for FREE at MACNA a few weeks ago

My thanks to Mike and Precision Marine. DOC
Old 10/13/2002, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Congrats! I have decided on a skimmer from MYReef. Jeff's commitment to quality and the number of satisfied customers on this board sold me on his.