Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

i have had my 125 in the LR/HT room for the past several years. i have never had a problem with sound and the tank. i do have 2-8' transmission line 12" subs for stereo playback and a 11' transmission line 15" sub for movies. light from the tank is a big problem for me since my screen is a 120" projector, but if you are planning on using a flat panel display of some kind than light will not be a concern, unless you are unlucky with a glare angle.

i am in the process of rebuilding my 125 to make it as quiet as it can be. the old setup had just enough gurgle and hum from pumps and overflows that it was distracting during quiet passages. i am moving everything down into the basement to help with this. i am also only using Velocity pumps up in the room for the CLS. even the Velocities will be put on rubber bushing to keep the mantle from becoming a sounding board for any vibrations that they cause.

G~
Old 03/28/2006, 01:14 PM
Flowalicious

I agree with the Bose comments. Theyre low to mid range speakers with a premium price.

Check out Paradigm. I love mine, and they smoke bose at a fraction of the price.

THat being said, glare is your biggest worry here.
Old 03/28/2006, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
I agree with the Bose comments. Theyre low to mid range speakers with a premium price.

Check out Paradigm. I love mine, and they smoke bose at a fraction of the price.

THat being said, glare is your biggest worry here.
10-4 on the Paradigms. I have 7 of them surrounding me plus the Servo v2 sub. Awesome sound!
Old 03/29/2006, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Looks like you guys know more about HT system. What should I do to enhance my old JBL equipment that I have? Any good speaker cable or other stuff to recommend?
Old 03/29/2006, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

speaker cables wont really help jbl's.....what kind are they ...do you have a sub
Old 03/29/2006, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

not necessarily true d1. poor quality speaker cables can degrade sound.
Old 03/29/2006, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

BOSE SUBLIMINAL ADVERTISING: (BUY OUR $H1TTY EQUIPMENT)
Old 03/29/2006, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

I hated the light from my tank when it was in the same room as my TV. I won't ever make that mistake again.

Even when the walls were shaking the fish didn't seem to care though.
Old 03/29/2006, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

I would keep the tank out of the theater room. It is bright (not good when watching movies). It is noisy (not good mix w/ music & movies).

If you could & since you are remodeling...
place the aquarium in the other room and cut a hole in the wall to show it in the theater room. This will remove the noise.
Now use a motorized curtain (similar to the projection screens) to cover up the tank when watching movies. This will cut out the light problem..

just a suggestion.
Old 03/29/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpitch
not necessarily true d1. poor quality speaker cables can degrade sound.
I have a decent set of ears, and I can tell you, you'll have to spend quite a bit of money on cables to beat the sound of 12 gauge twisted pair extension cord wire in a blind test. (my $150 overpriced Monster Cable wires don't really do anything better than my $5 extension cord cables, except look better)

Not only that, your equipment will probably have to cost much more than $1300 to hear it. (and you'd probably never hear it with BOSE! )

Since most JBL that people buy is low end consumer stuff from Best Buy, I'm sure what d1hotblaze is getting at is that high $ speaker wires probably won't help in the typical set-up you'd find them in.

JBL does produce some outstanding gear though in their higher level lines, so it's not quite fair to blast the whole brand.

Sorry for the threadjack...
Old 03/29/2006, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvtolean
I have a decent set of ears, and I can tell you, you'll have to spend quite a bit of money on cables to beat the sound of 12 gauge twisted pair extension cord wire in a blind test. (my $150 overpriced Monster Cable wires don't really do anything better than my $5 extension cord cables, except look better)

Not only that, your equipment will probably have to cost much more than $1300 to hear it. (and you'd probably never hear it with BOSE! )

Since most JBL that people buy is low end consumer stuff from Best Buy, I'm sure what d1hotblaze is getting at is that high $ speaker wires probably won't help in the typical set-up you'd find them in.

JBL does produce some outstanding gear though in their higher level lines, so it's not quite fair to blast the whole brand.

Sorry for the threadjack...
Absolutely true. 12 gauge lampcord is as good as $600/ft boutique garbage. A cottage industry has sprung up around the mass idiocy of audiophile gadget freaks. Double blind studies have proven conclusively what anyone with common sense already knew. Expensive cables do not perform differently or better than properly gauged conventional wire.
Old 03/29/2006, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Back to the topic. Floods occur. Sooner or later. Do you really want that to happen in your nice comfy carpeted home theatre. The idea of attempting maintenance tasks in the same room where I lounge and watch movies seems insane to me. Tanks make noise, give off light, and yes, smell, no matter how well maintained. As a fan of movies and reef tanks I feel the two belong is separate areas of the house. IMO, it's just not practical to put a reef tank in a living room, and 9 people out of 10 who do will regret it sooner or later.
Old 03/29/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

~ end my threadjacking.
Old 03/29/2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

I would avoid it...
Old 03/29/2006, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

If you are still concerned about the sound's effect on the tank, get a boombox and place it in front of the tank. Volume!!!! see if the fish respond after 2 hours.

If they don't, go ahead
If they do- don't

Ave imperator! Morituri te salutant!
Old 03/30/2006, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by d1hotblaze
speaker cables wont really help jbl's.....what kind are they ...do you have a sub
JBL AV Receiver JSR-635
Subwoofer-JBL PSW 1000
Center Speaker-JBL FLIX 2
Surround-2x JBL FLIX 2
Main Speaker-2x JBL G500

I do not like the receiver as the sound that came out was not 'crispy'. It only had adjustment for Treble, Bass and Balance. I had thought that I need special cable to enhance the speaker.
Old 03/30/2006, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Did anyone mention the negative effects of salty air on electronics and components? Long term exposure could be bad...
Fish love music. Thunderous bass hasn't bothered mine.