Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/17/2006, 02:14 PM
2/08 HB first show

Sun Coral (2 questions)

Hello everyone,

I now have 3 corals in my tank.. woo hoo..
(1 Zo, 8 Mushrooms, and I can't remember at the second, but looks like pink grass with neon green tips)

But I think I want a Sun Coral. Do you more experienced reefers think it would do well in a nano with the stock lighting?

also I purchased a featherduster almost 1 week ago and it has never come out.

I have 2 misc. anemoes that were hitchhikers in my 135 that I don't know what they are but I love them to death. honeslty, I can't take pics for anything.

Amber

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 03/17/2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Amber,

FYI -you have to target feed sun corals meaty foods, they are not photosynthetic.

Feather dusters are filter feeders....they may come out at night or if you use phyto or something.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 03/17/2006, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Sun corals don't require lights to survive, I put mine under a cave with minimal lightings, it's been with me for probably 6 months now and it's doing very well. I target feed it daily, I know people who don't target feed it and it still do well but I really like this coral so I want to make him happy.

Sun corals won't open up all the time but if there's a specific time you want it to open for your viewing pleasure you can train it to do so.

What I did was everyday when I get home, after I unload and get comfty, I would squirt cyclopeze straight into it open or not it doesn't matter. You do this for a few days in a row, sometime could take a week. Once you train it to it's feeding time, everyday it will open up at those hours for you.

Elite can vouch for me on this one.
Old 03/17/2006, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

yup.. dannieboiz's sun coral is very nice. open the whole time when I was at his house.

(BTW, it's the only thing that look nice in his tank ) j/k
Old 03/17/2006, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elite
yup.. dannieboiz's sun coral is very nice. open the whole time when I was at his house.

(BTW, it's the only thing that look nice in his tank ) j/k

That's because you still owe me a bunch of frags! I WANT MY FRAGS!
Old 03/17/2006, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Same as dannieboiz said, we target feed them every other day around the same time and now they open an hour before feeding and remain opened after. Only one problem for us, cleaner shrimps
Old 03/17/2006, 06:17 PM
Dolphins at Seaworld

The only thing with a nano is that target feeding might foul the water real quick. Also feather dusters need phyto or invert food. My feathers dusters love kent's zooplex. If you don't feed the feather duster it'll just starve to death over a few weeks than you'll see it when it crawls out of its shell and dies. Target feeding and dosing with phyto? Be ready to do weekly water changes. Good luck with the feather duster, hope its not too late.
Old 03/17/2006, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

We're talking about target feeding sun corals Xiu. But since you brought it up I've never feed my duster anything, I just feed my fishes with the seafood mush that I make monthly and everyone in the tank gets a piece of the pie. My feather duster has been on that same rock for over I 1.5 years, and been through a big tank swap.

Target feeding in a nano shouldn't be a problem. Just do little at a time. I usually feed a lot to my 100g because there are others in there that would appreciate the left over. My tangs goes nuts when i feed cyclop.
Old 03/17/2006, 07:33 PM
Dolphins at Seaworld

Sorry, I meant to say target feeding sun corals, then went on about the feather duster. You're right danny, if you feed in moderation it should be okay. Here's a link to feeding feather dusters.
http://www.dtplankton.com/phytoplank...ilterfood.html
Old 03/17/2006, 08:23 PM
Dolphins at Seaworld

Actually the thread title says 2 questions, so I take back my apology
Old 03/18/2006, 12:07 AM
2/08 HB first show

Thanks everyone.

I do feed Phyto, I have just not seen the featherduster out yet but nothing has crawled out.

Thanks for infor on the sun coral. I don't mind target feeding was just not sure how often to do so.

A-

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 03/18/2006, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

i try to feed them daily. but i;ve gone as much as 3 days not feeding the entire tank.
Old 03/18/2006, 11:22 AM
2/08 HB first show

I always seem to like the ones that take more work. =)

I am going to try the feedings at 6 so I can see them open.

(im trying to get 2 Zo's from the man that is coming today). =)

I should have stuck with the FOWLR and my 2 unknown corals in there.

My featherduster came out today. Meaning all the feathers. =(

Amber

Old 03/21/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

We have 2 big Sun's & 3 smaller ones. When we target feed it we take it out of the tank & put it in a big plastic bowl. We fill it with salt water & target feed it. We use cyclopeeze, & Mysis soaked in Selcon. We do it MWF. this way you can be a little more generous on the food & not worry about your tank water.