Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/17/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

SDguy captures my possition about GC, I think they could be nicer, but for the price, and the quqality of my tanks (I have two) I can put up with some gruffness.
Old 02/17/2006, 01:12 PM
Proud Father

Look guys, this thread isn't about if you personally can put up with their customer service or lack there of. It is a fellow reefer wanting feedback on experience and as far as I am concerned, I don't care if a tank is free, if the seems look like they may give, I don't want it.

A lot of companies have bad customer service but we still buy from them, but when it comes to one of the most important pieces of equipment, who wants crap? Not me. If they made skimmers that had issues with with seems, thats one thing...the chances of that causing your entire system to dump on the ground, shorting out equipment, is slim...but we are not talking about skimmers here, we are talking about tanks.

Mike
Old 02/17/2006, 01:17 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6763888#post6763888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MacnReef
Look guys, this thread isn't about if you personally can put up with their customer service or lack there of. It is a fellow reefer wanting feedback on experience and as far as I am concerned, I don't care if a tank is free, if the seems look like they may give, I don't want it.

Mike
I agree with you 100%. Glad your situation was resolved. Sorry for the tangent. Still wish you would have taken some pics before sending it back. I think they would have made great reference material for people.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 02/17/2006, 01:23 PM
Proud Father

Me too! But that thing was boxed up like a fort and I didn't want to break the box open to much so I had something to ship it back in.

Mike
Old 02/17/2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

So.........
1) costumer service is not feed back?
2) The fact that I'm not bashing them makes my feed back some how less relivent?
3) Or is only negitive feed back allowed?

Of course my tanks are glass so the issues you claim are not relivent to me.
But my tanks and the 5 other large (200g-400g)ones in my area that I've seen all look good. And I would recomend then for glass tanks based on these success's
Old 02/17/2006, 02:26 PM
Proud Father

I didn't say that, what I said was, this thread isn't about if you personally can put up with their customer service or lack there of, so feeback is a problem with them, even if "YOU" can put up with it.

Old 02/17/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

I originally asked the question? Can any of you refer me to a good company to get a tank from? No one seems to have any suggestions. Thats ok, i will continue looking.

I am not rich. HOWEVER, I would rather come up with the money to buy a great tank than to have to replace a tank from glass cages and have to replace my live stock. That will cost more than buying a good tank the first time. I have grown to really like my fish and corals, enemenies...etc...

Point is you get what you pay for.... I will pay to start and not have too worry. i do want a pretty tank, it is going to be a room divider.

I did reed some posts about starphire glass. which company sells that one?

Thanks everyone.
Old 02/17/2006, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathy8424
Miracles Is where I got my new tank after the GC mess up. Derek was a pleasure to work with! The new tank cost more, but it is a MUCH BETTER tank, I will not be afarid to put water in this one. And if by any chance something does go wrong (wich will happen to any manufacture at some point), I know it will be taken care of fairly.

I am extremly excited and happy with my new tank, just can't wait to put water in it.
They also offer starphire. I used it on the front of my tank. It is very nice.
Old 02/17/2006, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Cathy, the link to miracles does not work. what is there website address?
Old 02/17/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Sorry about that, try this one: Miracles
Old 02/18/2006, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

aquariumobsessed
Old 02/18/2006, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6768660#post6768660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
aquariumobsessed

Ditto.
Old 02/18/2006, 03:31 PM
See if you can pingaso it

Cathy,

What ever happened with the tank that GC built for you? Where u ever able to get a refund on the tank ?
Old 02/18/2006, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I filed a dispute with my Credit Card Company and I got a refund from the Credit Card Company, they debited GC's account for the tank.

I have an awsume new tank from Miracles with external overflows and a starphire front. I am on hold waiting for the steel stand to be completed then I will take vacation and get that sucker up and running. THAT WILL BE A HAPPY DAY!
Old 02/19/2006, 02:29 PM
See if you can pingaso it

That's great, I know you went through some stress because of the screw up glass cages made.

Did you have the steal stand made by Miracles as well ? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to ship the tank to you ?

Last edited by jman77; 02/19/2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02/19/2006, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

I will be recieving a 30G sump from GC this week...I will post my feedback shortly
Old 02/19/2006, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6777866#post6777866 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jman77
That's great, I know you went through some stress because of the screw up glass cages made.

Did you have the steal stand made by Miracles as well ? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to ship the tank to you ?
It was pretty much a package deal. You would have to check with Derek at Miracles as to shipping cost.

We are having the stand made close to home. Our neighbor owns a weld shop. We have traded work with them, so we are just paying for material and that is bad enough! Hopefully the welding will be done this coming week and then it will be powder coated. After that, thing should go pretty quickly compared the every other aspect of this project. Miracles does also make steel stands and powder coates them. They are nice stands with leveling legs. I thought the price Derek quoted for a stand was pretty fair.

You can find information about my tank set up and pictures of the tank being built to delivery here: My Miracles Tank
Old 02/20/2006, 10:28 AM
Proud Father

Got my money back!!!!

Mike
Old 02/20/2006, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6768813#post6768813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by windsor-aquatic
Ditto.
Double Ditto, don't have one myself but plan on purchasing my next tank from Will.
Old 02/20/2006, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

TheCoralNabber

Who is Will? What company is he with? If it is already posted in this discussion I do apologize, i did not have time to read all of it again.

Thanks,
Shana
Old 02/20/2006, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Will is the owner of AquariumObsessed out of our neighbor to the North.... ey Asnatlas bought his tank from Will. I've just heard good things about his tanks.
http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/
Dan
Old 02/25/2006, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

Just ordered my 300gl from will and My sfiligoi lighting with ACLS's
Old 02/25/2006, 07:40 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

FWIW

I've been following this thread since the start. I am planning a custom 240ish gal tank. I already had a 240 tall GC tank but it would not fit my plans so I sold it. I was going to go with GC due to price despite many of the posts here. Then I read on a local forum here on RC that GC would be at a local Pet trade show, so I went to speak with them and look at more of their work.

I want low iron front and one side and a center rear external overflow.

I've decided not to go with GC not because I am afraid the tank will fail or anything, but because they won't do anything extra but build a glass box.

They will do low iron glass. But no external overflows, or anything other then thier standard overflow for that matter. And, they won't polish the edges, even though they have the machine sitting in the shop (Yes, I asked), they just can't be bothered. Even when I offered to pay an extra and pointed out it is only two edges at one corner of the tank that require the polishing... "Nope".

Go figure, one would think custom work = more money?

If GC fits you budget, it's a good tank for the money, period.

If you want special, individualized work, spend the extra cash ... I will pay nearly 3x as much to get my dream tank built by Will.

Just my two cents.
Old 02/25/2006, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Well said Bax! I have stated several times on this and other forums that it's you, the paying customer, who decides what you want and not the manufacturer. Provided safety is not compromised, the manufacturer should, if he wants the business, be more than willing to comply with your requests. After all, without the support of the paying public, the manufacturer would soon be out of business, and if he's not prepared to go the extra mile on occasions (and get paid for it), perhaps it's time to consider a career change.
Old 03/15/2006, 03:01 PM
Gun runner

Penny and Shana,
You will not be disappointed with Will and his father at AO. They built my 375 and other than wanting the overflows larger(which I didn't know I would until I got the tank) it is perfect
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1..._1549_0001.jpg
Steve