Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2006, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

True, some of the weight is supported at the corners, but all of the weight that is in the middle of the 2x4's has to travel along the 2x4, transfer through the screws, and then into the corners.
Plus, the weight on the corners causes those members to want to move out, thus causing some lateral forces pulling at the screws. The most important part of any structure is the connections. Those screws, in essence, are holding that entire stand together. The plywood on top is helping to stiffen it as well.
Now, I'm not telling you to change your stand or anything, I'm just giving my honest opinion!
Old 01/04/2006, 02:50 PM
The Original Happy Banana

I agree.

....but then I look at the cheapo stands that commercial tank makers provide and I wonder how they hold an empty tank, much less one filled with water!
Old 01/04/2006, 03:08 PM
Moved On

my tenecor

I have an expensive stand and tank TENECOR, its falling apart anytime water hit this thing it basically shredded, its nothing but pardon my french, F&%(ing pressboard bs. To me his stand is much better designed and sealed then the POS I bought for a grand. Good luck man!

thanks
David
Old 01/04/2006, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I proabably have a tendency to over design, but that's just part of my job! The stand will most likely be adequate, but it's just something I always feel nervous about. That's nearly 1000# with water and sand and rock!
Old 01/04/2006, 03:35 PM
The Micro/Acan Collector

Nice looking setup. I have my tank as the headboard. Trust me.... You can make it as quiet as you want, it just takes a little more time.

30"x30" Bullet Proof Cube (in progress)
Old 01/04/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

CH, I get what you are telling me... I know it isn't as strong as it could be but I think it will hold up. When I'll buy my next tank, you can be sure I will do it like you said but for now, I can just check every week if I see any signs of stress... anyway I'm disassembling the all tank tonight to get it drilled tomorrow and will be up and running like new friday
Old 01/04/2006, 09:24 PM
nothing to say here

toxqc,

I'm by know means an engineer, and I'm only an expert on my own opinion.

I'm just wondering what would happen if you maybe..... put some more support underneath the cross members when you took it apart tonight? Just a couple boards cut to length. Nothing big. Just wondering.

Not picking or anything, because again, I am not an engineer, but I believe I understand a few basics after having built my own huge stand in the wall, but dont you think that if you detect signs of stress during your weekly check, it's pretty much too late if the tank is already setup and full?

Just askin. I'm not in any way criticizing.
Old 01/04/2006, 09:43 PM
reef kid

HEY! Im likkkkken that new tank so far!
Old 01/05/2006, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

If ever I see a sign of stress I can always put a 2x4 in the middle by using the old hammer to stuck it in between lol
But still, I'm comfortable with the design even do it could be better.. if you want I can calculate how much force those screws can hold with the plywood and the 2x4 and 2x6 and there is 2 more 2x6 under the plywood
Old 01/05/2006, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Should I go with a coast to coast overflow with 2 holes?
or
Should I just us a 90 degree elbow with a sloted cup on top ?
Old 01/05/2006, 01:18 AM
Touch me...Love me

Looking good !!

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone
Old 01/05/2006, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MAreefer1
HEY! Im likkkkken that new tank so far!
Nobody ever said the tank didn't look good so far, it's the structural stability that has people concerned. We can only give advice and pass on wisdom from prior experience, then hope all goes well in the end when no warnings were heeded.
Yes, as I have replied in a previous post, the tank looks great.
Also, I agree with jarhed that since the tank is down, what better time than to reinforce with a single 2x4 than to later battle problems which may not turn out victorious.

All is in the hands of man. Therefore wash them often. - Stanislaw J. Lec
Old 01/05/2006, 09:20 AM
Personna Non Grata

I dig the tank and stand. Looks nice. I to am planning one. CH, or another, can you point me in the direction of some good designs/pics of stand building? Eh... I want it sturdy.
Old 01/05/2006, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

mymonkey, basicaly what you whant is the top 2x4s to be on top of the four corners that way it is not screws that are holding the wieght...

I can't wait to have it drilled tonight

What kind of Overflow would you guys do?
Old 01/11/2006, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

ok I got my tank drilled, 2 top corner 2.5" holes with a calfo Overflow. I got my glass cut but its about 1/16 to long (****!!!) I have to go to HD get something for my dremel to make it shorter... I also shoped for acrylic and let me tell you, its not cheap here in ottawa... 175$ for a 4'x8' sheet. I have presently 3 choices for my return pump :

Eheim 1260 or 1262
Quietflow 3000
Mag 7 or 9.5

wich one is the quietest, the thing is right next to my bed...
also here in canada, we dont have 1.5"pvc, only 1.5"abs. Is the Flexible PVC quieter then the abs????

I also bought 2 cleaner shrimps for the black ich that my yellow tang still has, not alot bot I can still see some black spots, hope it helps. I wanted 2 neon gobys but the LFSs didn't have any and they said its pretty hard to get here... I wish I lived in florida!!!
Old 01/26/2006, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

ok so my tank is back up and running, my yellow tang is in perfect health and it's pretty quiet. I bought the quietone 3000 'cause it was cheap and so far, I can't hear it... Bought a 40 gallons breeder tank for my sump and installed the baffles. It goes skimmer/return/refugium

here are the lastest pics

I have to make some brackets for the drain lines and cut them a bit cause they are too long.
Old 01/29/2006, 10:41 PM
Personna Non Grata

Coming along nicely.
Old 02/01/2006, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Bought a blue tang yesterday, he was eating well in the lfs and eating well at home also, he is in my 20G long QT with pieces of pvc. I hope he makes the 6 to 8 week Q without any problems (at 100$can)
Old 03/01/2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

The blue tang got ich the first 2 weeks, he's is ding good now, I bought a neon goby to help with the ich and the lfs rent me a cleaner wrasse also. I'm getting 2 new seio 1100 this week ( they are orded) and as soon as they are installed I'm puting the blue tang in the main tank. I'm also ordering a refractometer friday (45$ can is a great deal here, they sell ofr 90$ at the lfs). I can't wait for my stuff to arrive

I'll be ordering 2 ballast and 2 48" VHO super actinic also this week
Old 03/24/2006, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Just installed my 2 new seio 1100 in the tank yesterday!!! I think I got too much flow lol, I had to turn them way down... so now I got 2*1100, 1*820 and the return that is about 600

A fellow reefer from aquaria.ca is at a convention in san diego and has seen the new SEIO CONTROLLER that is comming out in 4 weeks... I know what I'm buyging

Got a refractometer also so now my salinaty is perfect (1.025).

to buy this month :

- Actinics VHO
- SEIO Controller