Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/15/2006, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

240gal setup pics

Just finished setting up my 240gal Tenecor.....I'm had the rocks and sand cycling for about a month, so the tank is already cycled. I haven't stocked it with anything yet....gonna put some jumbo turbo snails in there next. Right now my stocking plans are a couple of eels and a catshark. I may add a pinktail or blue-jaw trigger since they are supposed to be pretty mild.

Got a great deal on this tank....stand, canopy, tank - $500. Got lucky with that and couldn't pass it up.....here's some pics:

The reef tank is a 240gal also.
Old 01/15/2006, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Hope your for is suported well. Thats cool, having two tanks the same size in the same room. I like the rock work on the new 240 A+++++
Old 01/15/2006, 11:50 PM
Art and science

wow amazing set up love your fish room
Old 01/15/2006, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanks....yeah, the floor is on concrete, not pier-and-beam.....I don't think I'd try it if it was

I've got alot more rock in the reef than the FOWLR.....I wanted to give the shark as much room to swim as possible....as for the eels, I have a section of 2" PVC under the rocks on both the left and right sides, so maybe that will make a good home for them. I also built a ledge on the right for the shark.

Thanks again
Old 01/15/2006, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Carson.....at one point I had a 125 on both sides and a 40 in the middle. The 40 was my first SW tank, the 2 125's were FW. The right side was Tropheus, the left was Frontosa. I donated the Tropheus to the zoo a couple of years ago, and I donated the frontosa to the zoo about 3 months ago....the fronts were huge, about 9" each (4 of them with about 12 2" babies). The 40gal is in the garage, going to try to sell it.
Old 01/16/2006, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

dont like the rock work. you should do more open cave look instead of stacking up on each side.

if u have a shy fish, you may never see it come out especially if it dies inside the rocks.
Old 01/16/2006, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Well, the reason I did the rock work like that was to give the largest possible open swimming area for the shark....I figured too much footprint would be a hindrance to him.....but appreciate the comment anyway.
Old 01/16/2006, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Looks great! nice fish room.
i agree that the way you have set the rocks up is good for a shark.
there be worry if a fish died in the rock all the fish you listed are resonable sized lol.
Old 01/16/2006, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Nice set up and pics. What type of eels you gonna put in there?
Old 01/16/2006, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Patchy, appreciate it !

Harley, I haven't decided yet on the eels.....have it narrowed down:
Snowflake
Jeweled
Spotted Snake
Goldentail
Old 01/16/2006, 08:04 AM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

$500.??????? I just spent a heck of a lot more on my 240!!

I am jealous, mine has been in my bsmt empty for a week....waiting for someone to help me with the plumbing

looks good!
Old 01/16/2006, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Wow. Two 240g side by side. $500 for a complete setup? Lucky guy. Did you buy it used or new?
Old 01/16/2006, 08:29 AM
Team RC Member

If you want to keep a shark then your going to have to take some of that rock out so its not in the front of the tank so much. You want to give the shark as much sand space as possible.
Old 01/16/2006, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Bttrflygrl,
Yeah, it was a sweet deal...the guy even threw in some pumps, 2 Eheim 1250's and 2 Mag 5's, plus 2 big bags of salt....you need to get that 240 of yours up and running If you weren't so far away, I'd help you

xinumaster,
I bought it used.....found it in the Thrifty Nickel ads...had to drive about 200 miles to get it, but it was worth it.

Andrew,
The distance from the rocks to the front of the tank is about 4" at the closest point. Also, there is about 3" behind the rocks on the right side at the sand level.....I didn't start putting the rocks against the back wall until about 6" high....the shark should be able to swim behind the rocks on the right side...won't be able to do that on the left side though, stacked it too close to the back wall.........do you think that's enough room? I could probably move it back some.....

BTW, for anyone wondering where the skimmer is, I have a Tunze DOC 9015 but had to return it because I don't have enough clearance to get the collection cup out.....getting a 9010 with the foam extractor instead.
Old 01/16/2006, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

rnelson great set up, and I like the rock work...........on both tanks. I never seem to find great deals like that.

I really like that black stand and top. Is it a DIY or factory made? My last stand I built I was considering using some spray paint that is speckled like granite.

Something I do that may be of benefit to you is I use a large 100 micron filter sock in the sump instead of bio-balls. The sock catches everything and needs to be washed about every 10 days but it prevents the sump from getting a build up of fish waste and keeps the tank water absolutely gin clear.

As a side note I also kept a colony of Burundi Frontosa for quite a while before I got into salt and I must say I do miss them.

Dave
Old 01/16/2006, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Dave.....the stand and top are both factory made, also from Tenecor.......

Sounds like a good idea about the filter sock.....the tank has a built-in wet/dry behind the black wall and I've got a huge amount of bio-balls back there.....drilled the tank myself for the overflows and return. I debated about the bio-balls because everyone says they are a nitrate factory....we'll see.....it wouldn't be too hard to pull them and replace with LR rubble. I'm also putting my 2 Fluval 404's on the back wet/dry area for extra filtration....will run carbon in them. I also have a Fluidized Bed Filter I may utilize, probably in the sump.

How do your filter socks stay on your overflow tubes? Do they have a draw-string or something?

Yeah, frontosas are really beautiful.....mine were Wild Caught but ate right out of my hands all the time.....and bred regularly.
Old 01/16/2006, 10:40 AM
Zoanthid proper

looks great. Yea a shark is a must. Maybe a pair of coral cat shark?
Old 01/16/2006, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Thanks MSL.......I think a pair of coral catsharks would be pushing it.....maybe I could use that for justification to the wife for letting me build a 5000 gallon shark pool
Old 01/16/2006, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

rnelson, before I switched to filter socks I got tired of constantly trying to clean out the fish waste from my sump. My Clown Trigger is very messy and the socks have really helped to improve my water quality. The Filter socks have a draw string and are kept on the end of the return line by means of a 7" acrylic disk I cut out and attached about 12" from the end. The last 12" section of flex hose is capped at the end and is drilled with many 1/4" holes to diffuse the water within the bag.

.......my Frontosa were also wild caught. I can still visit them at the LFS where they are on display.......not for sale

Dave
Old 01/16/2006, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Dave,

I gotcha.....was just wondering how you kept them on....the water output is pretty strong out the overflows.....

Like I said earlier, my frontosa are at the zoo.....I talked to the zoo curator and I'm going to be volunteering on weekends out there starting this weekend, so I'll be able to see them sometimes too......
Old 01/16/2006, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

nice tanks bud
Old 01/16/2006, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

nice tanks dude
Old 01/16/2006, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

sorry double post lol
Old 01/16/2006, 07:38 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

very nice