Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/12/2006, 10:56 PM
Male Gigolo

MRC-2 / ASM G4+ -- Need opinions

Ok so Im getting a new skimmer this month. Im debating between getting the following two skimmers...

My Reef Creations MR2
- $350 ($40 for quick release upgrade included)
- I own a PCX40 which is a reccomended pump. (Thought I needed a pressure rated pump??)
- Rated for 300g
- Height - 24"
- Option for second injector (Is this needed? Whats it used for?)

ASM G4 Plus
- $360 (Included Pump: Sedra 9000)
- Tank Rating: 250 gallons (ASM Rating: 400 gallons)
- Height: 24 inches

Ok so which of these bad boys should I go with? I have a 90g BB tank, so obviously both of these are serious over kill for the tank. I plan on upgrading to a 180 sometime in the future and this is one of the main reasons I am getting a larger skimmer. Plus since I am runnign a BB tank I want a skimmer that can handle a bigger tank then I have.

A few questions about the MR2. Should I get the second injector on the MR2 and Whats it used for? Would I need to buy a pressure rated pump or will the PCX40 I have work?
Old 01/13/2006, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

I'd say asm , They are really just plug and play.
Old 01/13/2006, 12:04 AM
Male Gigolo

Quote:
Originally posted by masson
I'd say asm , They are really just plug and play.

Have you used either of them?

Ive heard that about the ASM, but ive heard that the MRC's, once set which wasnt to hard, out perform the ASM.
Old 01/13/2006, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

I've never used a beckett so I can't realy compare them but I get constant dirty stuff from my g2 and I dont have a very high bioload. I am getting another one for my 125.
Old 01/13/2006, 12:09 AM
Male Gigolo

Quote:
Originally posted by masson
I've never used a beckett so I can't realy compare them but I get constant dirty stuff from my g2 and I dont have a very high bioload. I am getting another one for my 125.

Ok cool.

I have another thread up on the general reefing section to get more opinions. And one guy said that the MRC was a real good skimmer for a BB tank (which I have) because its a *particulate* skimmer. I guess it takes and skimms all the crap in the tank before it has a chance to desolve. I guess because its a beckett and it uses such a big pump. *shrug*

Ive heard only good things about the ASM though too. And I would be able to keep that in my sump under my tank too.
Old 01/13/2006, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

I use a G3 sellout and love it. I have used several different skimmers, and this one so far is the best I have used. Easy setup. I am toying with the idea of putting a sedra 9000 on the G3 in place of the sedra 5000. I am sure that will be a huge difference.

T
Old 01/13/2006, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

I love my MR2, but I've got mine in the basement. If it was under my stand it would drive me nuts. The sound of it sucking air can be deafening. I've seen different ideas on here about trying to quiet them down, but I've never tried any.
Old 01/13/2006, 09:44 AM
RC Admin

I had an MR2 for 4 years and really liked it. I also had the second injector option.

What I did was when I upgraded to my big tank, I bought a second injector and had Andy build an additional 12" riser section. So for $100, my MR2 became and MR3.

Beckett's are great skimmers in general if you can deal with the nose. Andy does a decent job with the silencer from 4 years ago, it could be even better now.

I've never even seen an ASM so I can't comment.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 01/13/2006, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

I have a G3 and I must say it pulls out a ton of crap. 2 problems I have with the skimmer is the constant adjustment of the discharge tube, moving it up and down and such. If you go with a G series get the gate valve mod, will make your life a lot easier. Prob. # 2 is the need to clean the neck every few days. I have read about self cleaning skimmers (wet necks or something) and would like to know more about them, sounds like something you could just set and leave be. Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents! HTH.

Patrick
Old 01/13/2006, 10:13 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

G5 here. Haven't cleaned the neck yet and haven't needed to. by no means do you have to ever few days. Had an ER before this one. Once a month is fine. Especially since your skimmer will be so oversized for your system.

Ditto on the gate mod. And Poppy, you can't put a Sedra 9000 on yours. The pump is physically taller and wider, it won't fit.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/13/2006, 10:20 AM
Reefin Maniac

I own an MRC-2 with mods for a second injector and replaced the bulkhead and I am very very happy with it.

I have also had the chance to play around with the ASM Skimmers.
The ASM are more plug and play verses the MRC ones.

I like the MRC over the ASM--I feel I have more control over it.
Old 01/13/2006, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Actually ostrow...using acrylic sheets to prop it up will make up the difference allowing me to use the 9000 on the G3.

T
Old 01/13/2006, 10:33 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

That you can certainly do if you feel it will be stable, and can align it well enough so things are truly flat. You don't want anything flopping, lots of vibration noise possible!

But wanted to be sure you know they are not simply interchangeable.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/13/2006, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Here we'll have to just agree to disagree, my skimmer neck is coated in a sheet of gunk every 3-4 days. I clean it once a week in reality, would like to do it more. Still a good skimmer IMO.

Patrick
Old 01/13/2006, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

I own the asm g4plus, Best skimmer I've used so far, I was running the barr aquatics beckett skimmer. IMO Becket skimmers need weekly adjustments if not multiplte times per week. They use more power to run. But can skim more than enough for a 90
I'd get the g4 on easy of use, great skimming, and cheaper to run
Erik
Old 01/13/2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
That you can certainly do if you feel it will be stable, and can align it well enough so things are truly flat. You don't want anything flopping, lots of vibration noise possible!

But wanted to be sure you know they are not simply interchangeable.
I realized that. Thank you though for the heads up. It will be as solid as if sitting on the bottom of the tank if I decide to do it.

T
Old 01/13/2006, 01:11 PM
Reef Slave

Joel,

I was running a 9000 on my G3 and just used acrylic to correct the height. The 9000 produced so much more skimmate than the 5000.
Old 01/13/2006, 01:26 PM
Male Gigolo

This crap is toooooo confusing.

1) Ive never used an external skimmer. I wouldnt midn it as long as it lives up to my expectations.

2) I cant have anything that is noisey. It will be in my living room. If the MRC's make too much noise that about just made up my mind.

3) I dont want to have tot inker ever day with it, but ive read that a few people were able to get it stable by placing it above the sump which would let it drain back to the sump quickly.

4) Price is alot more for teh MRC.

5) Need a larger pump to run the MRC as well. o(

6) Would the G4+ be enought o skim a 180g BB tank?? Someone in another thread told me it wouldnt.
Old 01/13/2006, 01:45 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

The 4+ I would think would be absolutely fine. I wanted one for my 150display (another 150 in fuge, sump so 300 total). Ended up with a 5 for weird reasons and I think it's too much.

The 4+ is a great skimmer.

Check out www.h2otropicals.com though as they often have very good deals on ER blems.

Old 01/13/2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

The G3 is rated for 180g sellout. The G4 would be plenty to run the 180. Of course, this will all depend on your bio-load. If you are heavily stocked with fish, then the G4 may not be enough. I would think it is plenty though. I have 7 fish in my 75g, of course they are small, but my G3 keeps up no problem with that. I am also running a 40g breeder for a sump.

I can tell you from experience, that the ASM, atleast mine, is quiet. I do not hear a sound from it.

Todd
Old 01/13/2006, 02:16 PM
Male Gigolo

ostrow - I check out that link every now and then. Just checked it out now, they dont have anything rated for over a 155g tank. I want something that will handle at the very very least a 180, preferable somethign around a 200-250. And thats gonna cost a fortune even if its a blem.

Poppy828 - I have 4 fish in my 90g right now. So I would think thats a pretty low bioload. O)

I seriously dont know what to do.

I wanted to go with the MRC - but the noise issue witht he skimmer, and the noise issue with the pump I have is really detering me.

Also, Im not even sure if my pump would be large enough to make the MRC work how its supposed to.

From what ive read from people that have used both, the MRC is a much better skimmer and works very well for a BB tank.
Old 01/13/2006, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

You will have to go with your gut and hope it woks out for you sellout. Yes, your bio-load is light I would think.
Old 01/13/2006, 02:22 PM
Male Gigolo

Meh, my gut sucks.

It originally told me to go with the ASM. Ease of use, priced decent and nothing but good reviews.

Then my gut told me to look at other options just incase.

Then my gut told me to go with the MRC

Now my gut is passed out from the stress and im left all by myself. o)
Old 01/13/2006, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Your first repsonse was the ASM though from what you are saying. I always go with my first choice. I don't believe you will be dissapointed in the ASM. I have been very happy with it.
Old 01/13/2006, 02:58 PM
Reefin Maniac

Well you can look at cost and effiecency and can it handle an upgrade.
What can your pocket book afford and where do you want to see yourself as you progress with this hobby.

Lots to look at just beside the cost and performance. Can it live upto your needs and grow with it is the approach I took.
I was in your shoes and I bought the Aquac 120---I was not happy with it. So there ya go.