Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2006, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

couple Questions

Male seahorses I have read that you may have to do some mantnice on them for their pouch? I could not find exactly what you would have to do. Also where are some good places to buy them on the web? Thanks!
Old 01/06/2006, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

One more thing where can I find a good list of sutable tank mates?
Old 01/06/2006, 06:17 PM
5X WORLD CHAMPIONS

You will find everything you need HERE

HTH
Old 01/06/2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

thank you! lori
Old 01/06/2006, 06:31 PM
5X WORLD CHAMPIONS

Your Welcome
Old 01/06/2006, 08:01 PM
Moved On

Has that list been updated recently?
Old 01/07/2006, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

The tankmates list is a couple years old, but accurate. The supply list is not really up to par, something that needs attention. I would try seahorsesource.com for seahorses and follow the list of tankmates for that.

Good Luck
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 01/07/2006, 07:21 AM
Moved On

It seems a bit....

Well, it is one guys opinion?

I'm just afraid we are going to make seahorses soooo boring no one will want them! People already think they are hard to keep, finicky, only eat live food,ect.

Maybe your websites list takes the purist thing a little over the top?
Old 01/07/2006, 07:31 AM
Moved On

Hey, nice plug for your company!

Lenny, rarely do male seahorses need maintenence on their pouch. I've had seahorses for a few years and I've only done it a few times, on the same fish and only because he was WC and gave birth in a shipping bag. When my fish have had babies in my tank, they have been able to do their own pouch flushes.

We do have a thread in our sticky about pouch flushing, along with some of the more well known companies that sell seahorses online. I have seen quite a few in our area in our LFS for really good prices. I think home breeders are flooding the market!

Good luck!
Old 01/07/2006, 09:25 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
It seems a bit....

I'm just afraid we are going to make seahorses soooo boring no one will want them! People already think they are hard to keep, finicky, only eat live food,ect.

why continue to be divisive and keep slamming this other site? what is this "your website" stuff? lori7973, pledosophy and everyone else participating in this thread are members of RC too. just because someone may belong to another website, I don't think it's "theirs" unless they own it.

Quote:
nice plug for your company
and what is this "your company" bit? pledosophy doesn't own seahorsesource.com, nor is it affiliated with any hobby site, he was referring to it because there was tankmate information listed. again, you have managed to impugn the integrity and reputation of a hobbyist-owned company, and insult someone who isn't even connected with the company!

to clarify, there is nothing I can see that is inaccurate about the information presented in that article. I have kept marine aquariums for 27 years, seahorses for the last three, so I do know a little bit. if you think the list is not complete enough, or you don't agree with it, you can certainly post your specific and constructive tankmate suggestions.

that tankmates list/article was a compilation based on a certain amount of consensus by members of a seahorse site with many experienced members. the author took the trouble to compile people's experiences and opinions from hundreds of posts, so his name is on it. it wasn't just "one guy's" opinion.

Quote:
One more thing where can I find a good list of sutable tank mates?
Lenny,

no compatibility list is the definitive word, for any fish, but the one in referred to is a decent one. compatibility lists (on many sites) tend to be a little on the conservative side, in order for new keepers to have a greater chance for problem-free interactions. I think this makes sense if you are going to post an article that new people are steered to.

in general, seahorses do not do well with aggressive feeders, fast swimmers or fish that are "pickers", even in larger tanks. certainly, individual fish, tank set-ups, etc. may give variable results.

over the years, I have kept the following with larger seahorses, erectus and reidi, with no problems (though I do tend to push the envelope some on tankmates, so be aware there can certainly be some risk with some of the predators).

Suitable seahorse tankmates (in my experience)
Hawaiian leaf fish
longspine waspfish
gold head sleeper goby
blue assessor
royal gramma
hogchoker (a small flatfish from Florida)
mandarin
Rainford's goby
watchman goby
yasha hasa goby
tiger pistol shrimp

UNsuitable seahorse tankmates (in my experience)
Tankmates I have tried that had to be separated from seahorses(no injuries or casualties resulted) - told you I pushed the envelope

ocellaris clownfish - actually mouthed and "bumped" the seahorses

small wolf eel blenny - I've never seen a fish look so covetous, he would have drooled if he could, looking at the seahorses

blue throat triggerfish - a small one was temporarily housed with seahorses. she never bothered them, but as she grew, she became an increasingly aggressive eater

small dwarf lionfish - became aggressive feeders, though they never attacked or threatened the seahorses. too many chances for an accident.

juvenile angelfish - even at 2 inches, too aggressive a feeder for seahorses, they have trouble competing.

small anglers (do this ONLY with caution and remove the fish once it gets about 1/2 the size of the seahorses) - I had an angler with the seahorses, but as it grew, I didn't want to risk it, and separated them. anglers are voracious and will often try to swallow fishes larger than they are.

giant clams - I actually had a large derasa clam "clamp down" on the body of a seahorse, both survived.

so, these are my experiences, one gal's opinions.

Last edited by LisaD; 01/07/2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01/08/2006, 12:07 AM
Moved On

Your mad because i called it your website? What you like me to call it?

How about the "european website of which you are a moderator"? Or would you prefer I just type in Seahorse.org and make it a link so people call just click it and be on the "site of which you moderate"? Loris link takes us directly to the website of "which you are a moderator" and that is how it has been since your site first started right? RC is a great place to troll for people for the "site of which you are a moderator".

I sorry if I have mistaken plegdosophy for a paid employee. It just seems like every post he makes directs us to seahorsesource.com and blasts any other breeder. I thought he has a relationship with seahorsesource.com because he so flagrantly violates the rules of this site.

And, if you are insulted that I questioned the authority of your list, I am so sorry. I was thinking that on this site we allowed to question and discuss "articles" without being bullied.

You win, moderators of Seahorse.org. Rule RC with same rules that you use on the "site of which you are a moderator".
Old 01/08/2006, 03:28 AM
Registered Member

Just to set the record straight.

I am not an employee of seahorsesource.com, nor have I ever received any type of compensation from them for anything I have ever done in the history of the world. We did share a phone call once where he gave me advice on a paper I was working on regarding mixing species of hippocampus. I guess one might call that compensation, but I am hardly an employee by any stretch.

I recommend that site because IMHO they are currently the best commercial seahorse breeder in the United States. I believe this to be true not only in the quality of seahorses that they raise, but also the level of customer service that they provide.

After getting the oppritunity to corresponding with the owner of seahorsesource.com I believe his propagation and rearing methods to be sound. Also on the 5 sites I visit daily, I have never seen any negative feedback in regards to his service. I have seen report after report by happy customers who value his product.

My experiences with other breeders has not been in the same. I have responded to questions posed by RC members in this forum as well as the vendor experience forum. I think I have said my peace there, I have nothing else to add. All of the evidence I have provided in the terms of negative commentary on any other breeder was linked to multipe people having the same experience.

I believe that this is a very small industry and we as consumers need to support those who do things the right way, not only in propagation, but also in terms of business.

These are the reasons I recommend seahorsesource.com so often. If someone asks where to get horses, this is my standard anwser because I can be assured they will have a positive experience like the others that came before them.

I was unaware that anwsering a question on where to get a CB seahorse violated Reefcentral's rules in any manor. I see so many posts in the other forums in reference as to where to get specific items, I assumed it was allowed. If I am unknowingly breaking any rules of this site, please have a moderator contact me with the information and I will cease.

On the second point,

The whole purpose of these boards is to share, discuss, and debate information. We come here to do just that. Help those who need it. Learn from those we can learn from. I think we could all learn something from eachother. Some little thing you do differently then me, that makes your system better, or run smoother, or something easier. I am here to learn. Yes, I share what I know, but I am here to learn.

As far as the tankmates list, I find it to be accurate. Well laid out even. Is there some particular objection or disagreement you have with it, then be specific? Then we can share our experiences, debate the information, and learn something.

Quote:
It seems a bit....

Quote:
I was thinking that on this site we allowed to question and discuss "articles" without being bullied.
There is no question or discusion in this statement. It is just an attack. There is no specific objection at all. The idea that something being to boring is a reason to keep it with an unsafe tankmate is irresponsible IMHO.

We wouldn't recommend tangs to go in 5g tanks because most people don't want to set up a 90g. We shouldn't reccomend unsafe tankmtes for seahorses because people might find them boring.

Many books today still list dragonets and pipefish as the only safe tankmates. The tankmates list you are reffering to on seahorse.org is much more liberal than that.

Quote:
RC is a great place to troll for people for the "site of which you are a moderator".
The same could be said about you, Suzy. Have you noticed your avatar lately. No one can see anything posted by you without knowing excatly which site you are a moderator from.

FWIW the linking to another site for information not found on Reefcentral was allowed last time I checked.
Old 01/08/2006, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

I've kept many different types of fish with seahorses, from clownfish to copperbanded butterflies, mandarins, green chromis, pajama cardinals, algae blennies, yellow headed jawfish etc. In my experience there are many fish that CAN live with seahorses, but there will always be a trade off. When you keep other fishes with seahorses, they will invariably have an effect on the seahorses' behaviour. Pelagic fish, those that swim in the open water column, and fast swimming/darting fish will cause the seahorses to seek shelter, to hide and blend in with their surroundings. So you will lose the opportunity to see your seahorses' more social, gregarious behavior if you have many of those types of fish. Benthic fishes, those that hang out in the sand or stick to the rockwork surfaces seem have less of an inhibiting efect on the horses. IN MY EXPERIENCE, the best way to really enjoy the full range of seahorse behaviour and display is to keep their tanks mates to a minimum: a docile benthic fish or two and a good cleanup crew of snails and reef-safe hermit crabs is perfect. Remember, being in a captive environment is stressfull enough for any fish. Pushing the limit of their tolerance for other fishes just makes it more stressfull. In the wild, they have almost unlimited space in which to find a quiet spot to hitch unmolested, but in our tanks, we give them no choice but to put up with the tankmates we provide. Hope this helps.
Old 01/08/2006, 07:06 AM
Team RC Member

greenighs said it perfectly.

Suzy, why can't we all just get along?

Quote:
How about the "european website of which you are a moderator"? Or would you prefer I just type in Seahorse.org and make it a link so people call just click it and be on the "site of which you moderate"? Loris link takes us directly to the website of "which you are a moderator" and that is how it has been since your site first started right? RC is a great place to troll for people for the "site of which you are a moderator".
1) It is only "my" site to the same degree that RC is "my" site. I don't own any part of either one, and I participate and contribute without being compensated in any way. Calling it "my" website keeps this an "us vs. them" issue, which is should not be. In fact there IS no issue, you just keep making one where none exists. The best thing for me to do would be to ignore you, as I'm sure most people on this forum are much more interested in reliable seahorse information than in seeing us going back and forth. I'll stop if you do.

My point is that you consistently insult and bait members of other sites for no reason except to incite conflict. They are RC members as much as you are, so show some respect. There is not a thing wrong with vigorous debate, but your comments are often personal, and the rules of the board prohibit this. I only post in response to your out of line comments, which is actually also against the rules. So I reported us BOTH to the mods.

2) I have never and will never "troll" for members. You calling me a troll is inapporopriate and insulting. An objective person looking at the number and quality of my posts can see that I regularly contribute to RC, as well as look for information here, as an active and knowledgeable member. I belonged to RC long before I was a moderator on seahorse.org.

I am here to learn and to help. I don't have an agenda, and only refer people to other sites such as wetwebmedia, seahorse.org, vendor sites, etc. when I feel they offer information that is specifically requested.

Mods, where are you?