Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2005, 10:03 AM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
GREAT JOB!
Old 12/27/2005, 10:08 AM
TOTM- June 2007

Here are a few more I took with the macro lens-

Old 12/27/2005, 10:46 AM
Force of Nature

Great looking shots!!!!

How long have you had the Leopard Wrasse?
Old 12/27/2005, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

All I can say is WOW!!!
Old 12/27/2005, 03:53 PM
TOTM- June 2007

I've had the Leopard Wrasse for about 3 months. He is probably my favorite fish and is doing great. I've got him eating just about anything and he is fat and happy!

I'll try to get some more pics up- this camera is great and takes spectacular pictures! Now all I need to do is learn how to use it correctly.

And thanks everyone for the compliments- slowly but surely it's coming together.
Old 12/27/2005, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

THOSE MACRO PICS ARE ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. KEEP EM COMING. BEAUTIFUL TANK!
Old 12/28/2005, 12:29 AM
TRC Leader

Nice, Scott. Everything is progressing well.
Old 12/28/2005, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Scott - Where did you end up mounting your actuator for the hood? I went through the pics and didn't see one. LOVE the setup!! I can't imagine how much planning went into it!
Old 12/28/2005, 12:13 PM
TOTM- June 2007

TEDDYKOLLER- Thanks! i'll try to get some more macros up soon.

melev- Thank you as well. I have been to your website many times for some great info. Not to let the cat out of the bag to early but.... we may almost be neighbors in a few years and it would be great to see your setup in person!

Medicine Man- The actuator is on top of the canopy- I haven't posted any pictures of the final configuration as I was waiting till the canopy and stand "skinning" was done to show the final results. Hopefully that will be soon but if you want I might be be able to post some pictures of how it is working now- it does work great and I can't wait for the final product.

Next on the list is the lighting and racks for the frag tank- it's been up and running since the beginning but have had other projects take priority. I'll probably be using a 150w DE or a 250w DE with a 20k bulb.

I also am looking to add some T5 lighting to the display tank- probably something like 6 - 24" or 4 - 48" to help enhance the colors a little. I'm still working on the design of it will still be raised with the MH on the actuator as I really like how that works. I also need to change out my current x10 setup to a DC8 to control the lighting since I will be adding more lights as well as moonlights.

Anyway- I'll try to keep the pics coming since I know that's what everyone likes to see anyway .
Old 12/28/2005, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Just wondering if coraline algae has started to grow on your foam wall. I know that it doesn't like to grow on homemade rock.

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
Old 12/28/2005, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

If you don't mind it would really help me out. I purchased the actuator but was not really sure where/how to mount it. Thanks in advance or the help
Old 12/28/2005, 01:16 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder770
melev- Thank you as well. I have been to your website many times for some great info. Not to let the cat out of the bag to early but.... we may almost be neighbors in a few years and it would be great to see your setup in person!

I had to review this thread again to make sure I was thinking about the right setup. You're the guy with the multiple sumps in the garage, just like I thought. No way you're going to leave all that behind.

Just fly out for a visit and I'll be happy to show you my setup, and you can save yourself a lot of time and money.
Old 12/28/2005, 02:11 PM
TOTM- June 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I had to review this thread again to make sure I was thinking about the right setup. You're the guy with the multiple sumps in the garage, just like I thought. No way you're going to leave all that behind.

Just fly out for a visit and I'll be happy to show you my setup, and you can save yourself a lot of time and money.
Who ever said anything about leaving it behind . Of course we are getting a little ahead of ourselves- I think this will be a topic for later in the thread....like page 30 or 40 . Of course we might take you up on your offer to see your system in a few months.

The R/C Man- coraline is definately growing on the foam. Kind of hard to tell from the pictures but there is lots of it- probably be another month or so till it's completely covered. I didn't realize that it doesn't grow on the homemade rocks- why is that do you know?

Medicine Man- There are several ways to mount an actuator but I will try to get some pictures of how I set mine up in the next few days. It works really well so far and I know it will be even better once I get the canopy skinned.

More pics soon..........
Old 12/28/2005, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Don't have a clue..... My buddy has a tank with some homemade rock and the coraline doesn't want to grow on it. It does grow on the real live rock though. It may have something to do with what it is made from....

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
Old 12/28/2005, 02:27 PM
TOTM- June 2007

Interesting. Kind of good to know since we actually made some homemade rock out of concrete and oyster shells but in the end we decided not to use them (and now we have 3 buckets full of un-used white concrete and oyster shells ). I wonder if he used a different formula. I'm kind of glad we didn't use it now
Old 12/28/2005, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, you don't get the good biological filtration with the solid homemade stuff either.

Old 12/28/2005, 02:41 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

What is the stuff you used for the background.

how did you cure it?
Old 12/28/2005, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bond007069
What is the stuff you used for the background.

how did you cure it?
If you read pages 2 and 3 you will see what he used,

Lady Astor aghast at a party. 'Mr. Churchill you're drunk'!
Sir Winston. 'And you, Lady Astor, are ugly. As for my condition, it will pass by the morning. You, however, will still be ugly'.
Old 12/28/2005, 03:48 PM
TOTM- June 2007

bond007069- The background is black pond foam. There are a few places you can get it online. I think page 3 or 4....maybe 5 of this thread goes into some detail about it so you may want to go check there for some more info.

Here is a little more eye candy using the macro lens as promised-

This one was from the top looking down- didn't have the setting on the camera set up correctly but I think it's kind of cool looking.
Old 12/28/2005, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The R/C Man
Don't have a clue..... My buddy has a tank with some homemade rock and the coraline doesn't want to grow on it. It does grow on the real live rock though. It may have something to do with what it is made from....
I've got two homemade rocks with coralline growing on them. In fact the oyster shells were one of the first things in the tank that grew coralline.

Nick
Old 12/28/2005, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

incredible job!!!

i am planning a large system, similar in size to yours, to be incorporated into a remodel we are doing next year.

nosey question. can you share some of the financial info with us? how much did it all cost?

do you have any running cost projections also?

of course it is my wife who is not as understanding as yours who is the one who wants/demands to know. i would just build it and see how much it all comes out to be.

Carl
Old 12/29/2005, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I've just finished readung through this thread i/o working!

Well done on a great job scott.

What camera are you using to take these shots? (I need santa to get me a belated x-mas present).

I'd love to see how you mounted the actuator to get a faster opening of the canopy.

Keep up the pics!

Kamil
Old 12/29/2005, 12:18 PM
TOTM- June 2007

maxxII- I guess that makes sense- just depends on what you make your rocks from I guess.

carloskoi- Cost always seems to be one of those touchy subjects- partially because most of us don't care to be reminded of how much we have spent on this hobby. I have kept fairly detailed records and I have a fairly accurate figure but lets just say I could have bought a boat I wanted or a substantial portion of a new Corvette . As for running costs- currently about $80 of my monthly electric bill is attributed to the tank- about $30 a month in food, salt and water. Of course you have to factor in yearly things like bulbs and of course the $50-$400 a month in livestock purchases that always seems to happen. And of course my electric rates are higher in the summer so I will probably be in the $120-$140 a month range for electric when summer rolls around. Also those things that pop up every few months like RO/DI cartridges and resin, additives and supplements. All told on a yearly basis I guess I would say a monthly average would probably be about $250 for just the "essentials". Of course if I were to factor in our labor time since we did everything ourselves I'd probably be able to buy 2 Corvettes .

kamil5000- The camera I used is a Canon Rebel XT with 2 different lenses- one for "normal" shots and one for macro shots. I'll see if I can get some pics of the actuator as that seems to be something a lot of people are asking about.....just not sure if I want to reveal my secret till it's finished as all the other ideas I mention seem to have been employed by someone else before I was able to finish it myself
Old 12/29/2005, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

nice stand.
Old 01/24/2006, 07:08 PM
Real Cool Guy

Very, very cool. I'd love to see it in person some day. More Pictures!