Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2005, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Let me introduce myself!

Hello everyone! My name is Jason, and I am the owner of Under The Sea in Cranberry Twp. I've seen a lot of posts regarding the store, and I'd like to answer some questions. First off, at this point NO the store is not open. I am however ready to open pending an Occupancy permit. I am however in no rush to open the store prematurely. I plan to open soon however, when I feel that the time is right. Now if anyone has any questions for me about the store that I can answer, without breaking any Reef Central rules of course, I will be happy to answer them. Thanks again, and I am looking forward to meeting some of you soon.
Old 12/18/2005, 01:00 AM
Money Spender

hey Jason, looking forward to the opening of the store!

ps. you have a pm
Old 12/18/2005, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Aaron just pm'd you back. Talk to you later.
Old 12/18/2005, 01:38 AM
Premium Member

Will members of PMAS be able to see the store prior to opening?

How many gallons of SW will you have? How many coral frags do you expect to keep?

Lastly, what will the store hours be?

--Ray
Old 12/19/2005, 03:39 AM
Registered Member

Yes, members of PMAS will have an Open House prior to the opening of the store. I've talked with Adam, and I will let him and Steve know when I get a firm date. I will have a good bit frags, but I'm in the process of finishing the back room where I will have the frag/grow out tank. Store hours will be M-Sat 10-9, Sun 11-7. These hours may change, but thats what I'm planning for.
Old 12/19/2005, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Wow- great hours - looking forward to seeing the new store.
Old 12/19/2005, 10:49 AM
Just a member

frags locally will be great! Look forward to seeing everything.

pete
Old 12/19/2005, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Hi Jason,

Nice to have met you the other day...I appreciate the help.

Also, sent you a PM.

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 12/19/2005, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

wow i cnat wait for this. i'll def be taking the trip to check it out!!!
Old 12/20/2005, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'm a hobbyist too, so I will do my best to insure it was worth the wait. So far I'm pretty pleased with the store. Just need to fill out a few more tanks. I can say this, I don't have your run of the mill live stock, so I think you guys will be pleased. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12/20/2005, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

Can you give us an address for the out of town/state people so we can locate you when we come to town.

My son goes to school in Pittsburgh
Old 12/20/2005, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Can I have dibs on the tiger shovelnose catfish?

Chuck
Old 12/21/2005, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

The Address is:
20510 Rt 19 Suite107
Cranberry Twp, Pa 16066

As far as the catfish go, I'm actually getting a couple more in tomorrow. But if you really liked him, I can hold him for you.
Old 12/21/2005, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

I used to have 2 about 18"s long, they started acting like they wanted to breed, and one day when I was away all day they broke the tank! I have wanted to try them out again sometime. I'll see what you think about my plan when you open. Thanks

Chuck
I'm The snowplower and wife that stopped by the one day.
Old 12/21/2005, 11:02 AM
Registered ID10T

This is exactly what the area needs. Post here once you have your grand opening, because i'm shopping for 5-6 fish to stock my 55 with, and a decent cleaning crew, so i hope you'll have lots of varities of snails as well as a nice selection of fish. I'm from the Grove City area, and around here, its either drive to youngstown ohio, or the burgh.. You're about 50 miles from me, which isn't too bad of a drive to visit a good not so local lfs. (assuming its going to be a good one)
-Stewie
Old 12/21/2005, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

stewie24,

I got a peak during construction last week and saw a lot of the stock and many more unopened boxes, I would say that Jason is going to give all the other lfs's a good run for there money!

Chuck
Old 12/21/2005, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

This is great to hear, and I wish Jason all the best for success with this new store. I'm pretty much a hardcore sps person. but hopefully that base will be covered to some degree also. Last talk I had with a prominent LFS store's manager amounted to "wavy and billowy sells. therefore we carry VERY little sps". Don't get me wrong.....I do understand that most reefkeepers start out with LPS and Softies, but it would be great to be able to find some nice sps frags or colonies available locally. OK, I hear the tune in my head....."California Dreamin'".
Old 12/22/2005, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Acronut, I think that you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong sucess comes over time, but I plan on stocking a wide variety of livestock, and selection of dry goods that may impress you also. To tell you the truth I'm ready to open, I'm just waiting to get my tanks fully stocked. I do however already have a few nice sps peices.
Old 12/22/2005, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

I look forward to attending the open house for us PMAS members. I'm always happy to be "pleasantly surprised", even though when I am it usually costs me lots of $$$$. lol
Old 12/24/2005, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

I checked it out tonight and man is it nice. Cannot wait for the actual opening of the store (and a credit card to shop there with). Anyway it was nice to meet you tonight and wish you the best of luck with the new store.

Mike
Old 12/24/2005, 10:51 AM
Professional Aquarist

Jason,

Since the title of this thread is "Let me introduce myself!" why don't you tell us a little about yourself? How long have you been a freshwater aquarist? How long in saltwater? What kind of fish, corals, etc. interest you/are you keeping? What is your background? Did you previously work for another pet shop? You know, stuff like that.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 12/24/2005, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

You are right Steve, let me tell you a bit about myself. I've kept Freshwater fish since I was a child. I 've kept a 220gal reef tank for the past six years. I keep a variety of soft, lps, and sps coral, and about 20 different fish. I've never worked at a pet shop, but have done many installs for friends, and family. I dabble in some diy projects like protein skimmers, and kalk reactors. Sorry to make this short, but it is Christmas Eve, and I can hear my wife calling to eat dinner. So Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. I'll fill you guys in on more details in a day or two.
Old 12/26/2005, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Jason,

Do you have any idea yet on a date for opening? My Christmas $$ is burning a hole in my pocket!!!

Chuck
Old 12/26/2005, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Jason,

Will you carry Tunze products?

--Ray
Old 12/26/2005, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goulding.c
Jason,

Do you have any idea yet on a date for opening? My Christmas $$ is burning a hole in my pocket!!!

Chuck
I'm still waiting to fully stock my Salt Water room, but I have had a few people stop in at times, and I have sold a few items. If you are looking for any dry goods or equiptment I can surely help you. Once I get another order or two in for Salt Water livestock I will ready to open. Shoot me a list of what you are looking for, and I will tell you if I have it, and if I don't I will order it in. Thanks again, and I hope you had a good Christmas. Jason