Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2005, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

tunze or seio

i am setting up a 36"24"24" sps reef tank i am using a return pump at 1100 gph,,what do you think my best bet is for in tank circulation,,i thought 2 seio 1100 or see how 1 tunze 6060 does and posibly add 1 more 6060 as i get more corals in the tank ,,let me know you opinion ,,i do not want a cloosed loop and i can not get the tunze wiht controler ,,i can not aford to of the controlable units right now stuill have to get cal reactor

thanks for comments shawn
Old 12/21/2005, 11:17 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

Just a few threads below this one. You just have to look down.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=702638

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 12/21/2005, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

thanks alreay read through that
Old 12/22/2005, 12:43 AM
Moved On

go with the tunzes if you can afford them, i have a few seios, have one now and had up to 4, they really arent that good, IMO & IME, they just arent up to par on the quality standards, wont get into any details as it has been told many a time now. so go withthe tunzes, you'll thank yourself many times over

Tim
Old 12/22/2005, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Humboldt huh? How is the trainreck! My roomie is moving there this spring!
Old 12/22/2005, 02:30 AM
How do I look?

I have two Seio 1500 and am satisfied. I think they are good as long as you have realistic expectations. They are great pumps for a cheap price but that price comes with certain catches and limitations (which are detailed in other posts so I won't bother repeating).

If I had the money than I would get the Tunze (as I expect everyone would) but of course that is something that for most people is much easier said than done.
Old 12/22/2005, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

i have 3 seio's and have not had a problem i love mine,for the money savings you could keep buying seios over tunze for many many years
Old 12/22/2005, 08:34 AM
King of the Apes

3 Seios here and love them. The current kicks butt and Ive never had issues retarting them.
Old 12/22/2005, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Not so cut & dry IMHO -

A Tunze 6060 is $137 for 1600gph, a close match is a Seio 1500 @ $70.....I'd be willing to say that the Tunze will have more than double the lifespan of a Seio = more economical in the long run. Also, the Tunze is 11w vs the 34w of the Seio.

It's a tough call, given that you're not going with controlable pumps I might get the Seios & figure to replace them more often.
Old 12/22/2005, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

wondering if all you guys and galls that have seios know that there is no center canel flow wiht the seio and there is wiht the tunze ,,bothe have wide flow pattern but the seio has no flow in the senter of the pattern and the tunze does ,,hope i explianed that right ,,i feel iven if not controlable the tuze is the better chioce by the sonds of it
Old 12/22/2005, 10:24 AM
It tastes like burning

I think you'll be satisfied with either product. The SEIOs may have small problems with restarts, but you saved a bunch of money. The Streams cost more, but they are rock solid. Either way, you come out fine.
Old 12/22/2005, 11:16 AM
Moved On

Im doin a 3'x3'x18"h tank (100g), and I plan on forkin' over the money for dual Tunze 6100s and a multicontroller.
Old 12/22/2005, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

i wish i could afford the controlable units right now but i can still have top get the calcium reactor ,,i am not going to go wiht out a reactor this time ,,i guess my ? is will it still be of to go wiht the non controlable ones ,,6060 or would you go wiht the 6080
Old 12/22/2005, 03:04 PM
How do I look?

Quote:
wondering if all you guys and galls that have seios know that there is no center canel flow wiht the seio and there is wiht the tunze ,,bothe have wide flow pattern but the seio has no flow in the senter of the pattern and the tunze does ,,hope i explianed that right ,,i feel iven if not controlable the tuze is the better chioce by the sonds of it
I'm going to have to disagree with this. I can put my hand in front of one of my Seios and whether its 6 inches or 3 feet there isn't any dead spot in the center.
Old 12/22/2005, 04:04 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikS
A Tunze 6060 is $137 for 1600gph, a close match is a Seio 1500 @ $70.....I'd be willing to say that the Tunze will have more than double the lifespan of a Seio = more economical in the long run. Also, the Tunze is 11w vs the 34w of the Seio.
There isn't any doubt to me, this is one of those no-brainer premiums IMO. $67 extra for a far superior product. Down the road you can get Tunze rocks to hide them, magnets to hold them, and I think you can even put a 6200 screen on them for wider flow.

Plus if something goes wrong, just post your ? on the Tunze forum and Roger will help you.

Just MVHO though!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 12/22/2005, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

And to further the thought.............you don't have to buy a Tunze kit - you can buy it in pieces.

6000 now, add a single controller, upgrade the transformer to a 6100......etc.

Now I'll never say that getting a Tunze doesn't hurt, it does......but....they're very expandable - not much in the way of flow you can't accomplish.

I'd also consider DIY'ing the reactor & getting the Tunze.
Old 12/22/2005, 04:42 PM
Moved On

Heck, its just the way Id do it, but Id put off the reactor for a while anyways...not like you can just set up a tank and then cram an army of SPS in it right away. I would wait 6 months for the tank to cycle, phosphates level out, algae blooms, etc...then get the CO2 reactor going. Water changes and a kalk-reactor usually do a better job up until that point anyways.

Id still go with the TUNZE 6100..even just one w/o the multicontroller, and then expand later. IME, flow is more than calcium for the first few months anyways.

DIYing a reactor is a good idea, but you still have to pay for the regulator, bottle, CO2 line, and pH controller at least, not to mention the CO2 and media. A kalk reactor seems the better of the two anyways, and much easier to DIY. FWIW, my problems with calcium never had a root in calcium...even with lots of SPS and clams Id still be up at 450...it was always the alkalinity that gave me troubles. So I add buffer manually a couple times a week (Seachem Reefbuilder), and the rest it history.
Old 12/22/2005, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys what you all siad is making very good sence ,,so i should get the controable one and maybe get a kalk reactor or somthing like that for a while ,,till i need the reactor ,,water changes yes every 2 weeks 30 gallon ,,and you are right it is hardley ever the calcium that is out of wack ,,thanks for the input ,,,so you all think the 6100 wont be to much flow for my 36inch tank