Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2005, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Advice On Eductors Or Penductors

Can someone please give me some advice. I would like to put 2 eductors or penductors on my closed loop. I have a little giant 5 MDQX I think. I have this currently on two locline 3/4" returns. This is on a 72 bowfront. What should I go with, also is this going to be too much flow in a four foot tank. I have primarily SPS but some softies. Thanks for any input.
Old 11/04/2005, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

to operate two eductors on one pump, you would need a pump like the Iwaki MD100RLT. this would be overkill for that sized tank. IMO. double check the eductor requirements, but most require 10 psi of pressure at 450gph. that is for each eductor.

HTH,

G~
Old 11/04/2005, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

This pump is about 1500 GPH and it is a pressure rated pump. I would think that would pump 900 GPH and be enough for two 3/4" eductors. Am I wrong here?

Wouldn't I get atleast two times the flow using them? I would think that would still be worth it.
Old 11/04/2005, 01:18 PM
RC Mod

The pump should be fine as long as it's a pressure pump.
Old 11/04/2005, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

10 psi is equal to a head pressure of 23'. the recommended pressure rating for eductors is betwen 10 and 50 psi.

can the 5mdqx do at least 900gph at 23' of head pressure? i can not find a pump curve for that pump. i looked at the Little Giant site, but it is not listed. for two eductors, the pump needs to do 900gph at 23' of head pressure.

they are great, but they do require a lot of pressure in order to work. since you are only dealing with a 4 foot tank you prolly good get away with using it less than optimally. it would be a good idea to first look at the pump curve for the pump and check that you will not be taking a loss in flow by using them.

G~
Old 11/04/2005, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

Thank you I will try to find the pump curve I think that I have the literature at home. The pump is about ten years old but man does it put out a lot of flow.
Old 11/04/2005, 07:51 PM
Moved On

well i am running 2 penductors of a mak 4 pump. the pump output goes to a Tee then out to a ball valve before each penductor. if i close off one valve so all the flow is going through one penductor, there is NO noticable difference in the flow that comes out of the penductor. thus i can conclude that a mak4 will drive two pendcutors just fine. also just to get things straight, a iwaki 100 will easily overdrive 3 and 4 will work wonderful. go to KTHsales.com and check out the info on the penductors there. they list how many pendcutors each iwaki pump will drive and converting the flows from an iwaki to other pumps is easy.

also i am running two of them in a 4' tank and am going to add a pair of streams to randomize things

Tim
Old 11/04/2005, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

So I am still confused as to whether I should get enductors or penductors? I am pretty sure that this pump should put out slightly more than the Mak 4.
Old 11/04/2005, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Go with the penductors. They are a lot less intrusive but perform almost equal.