Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2005, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

hurricane katrina

We just got the internet back here. I had to locate to my moms because my house took in water from the surge. We figure where we were the surge was 30 ft. I was one of the lucky ones, my house only took in 26" of water because we built high. I have a log home and it stood like a rock, unlike the homes around me. They all have to be torn down. I lost my whole tank, only because the military forced me to leave my home because of the damage around me. I live close to the beach. I had it running and doing good not one loss, due to generators. When we left I took 4 leathers and an anemone (which I had for 7 years), and 5 fish. I couldnt take a whole lot. I kept them in rubber maid containers with powerheads until the fish store was up and running. My lfs took them in and got them under lights and good water and I still lost the fish and anemone and 2 leathers. It was terrible to walk away shut everything down and let everything else die. My house will be renovated, new furniture and appliances, cabinets and all, but the tank.....not sure if I want to take that kind of risk with animals that cant help themselves. I know it wil happen again. Tina
Old 10/09/2005, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Tina, I am so sorry for your loss. So many people lost so much. FEMA will help replace your home, Red Cross will help replace your clothes etc, your cats, dogs and horses will be assisted by ASPCA. Your fellow reefers will help you get your tank back up and running when you are ready. I have read so many tales here on RC of reefers helping reefers. I wish I had frags or equipment or something to help you get started again. Unfortunately, we are just starting out ourselves. I do, however, have a small frag of caribbean tube corals I will send you. Just PM me when you are ready. It's not much, but I am sure other reefers will pitch in here too. You are lucky to be part of this wonderful RC community.
Old 10/09/2005, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Hey Tina! What about setting up a tank of animals from the gulf, that way if you are getting beelined by another hurricane, you can set them loose to fend for themselves. Just a thought , I don't know how feasable that is. Good luck on getting your place back together, I'm glad you didn't lose your house.
Old 10/09/2005, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Very sorry for your loss. Glad to hear your log home stood though. Good luck with rebuilding and with starting a new tank.