Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2005, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Id and Treating sudden necrosis (pic)

My softy and LPS tank has been running for several years very successfully. Suddenly, several days ago my neon green finger developed several rather large areas of dark black necrosis. I have not seen anything like this, nor come across this is forumns. I have waited to frag the coral to see if and how the necrosis progesses. The only change that I can think of in the past 4 months is the addition of a parrot wrasse. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Old 10/05/2005, 09:41 PM
unorthodox reefer

Hey there, i don't think i could be of much help here although i could say that i have seen it plenty of times, i run a large LFS in south florida, and i see this a lot in the spaghetti and finger leathers. Only difference is that i see it on pieces that we have recently aquired, due to poor shipping or aclimation.

Felix
Old 10/06/2005, 04:44 PM
Feed Your Obsession

I have seen it before and it seems to be when it gets stressed it seems to shed its skin of sorts. The black is dead or dying skin that will soon sluff off.

I wouldnt panic. Something "burned" it, (new bulbs?) but Id bet it will be fine.

Try some brisk water flow and see if any of the black comes off, with fresh skin under.

good luck.
Old 10/06/2005, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Don't know what it is, but it might be best to cut that crap off!
Old 10/06/2005, 08:29 PM
One Millionth Poster

I'm with him its gross, scrape it if you can.
Old 10/06/2005, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Well, just to let you know - you were all right. Today the dead portions that were black have sluffed off with no continued damage or spreading. It is always interesting to watch how things occur in a reef tank even after so many years. Thank you for your responses.
Old 10/06/2005, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Very interesting! Can you post and "after" picture of the now healing leather?
Old 10/07/2005, 12:10 PM
One Millionth Poster

Good!
Old 10/10/2005, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Very interesting indeed. Please post a pic if you can.
Old 10/10/2005, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I haven't gotten another picture. I will post one shortly. One interesting note about this whole event. The following several days I noticed that the base of the coral - which was very large 7-8 inches in 3 segments that were all attached began to constrict and finally seperated from each other and two of the stalks seperated from the substrate. These were the same two major branches that had damage. I hypothisis that one of the resonses to being stung is to move out of the neighborhood. One stalk floated to the opposite side of the tank, another in a large whole occupied by my eel. I suspect that this stalk will not make it do to where its location is. I have a hands off methodology and do not manipulate my corals if it can be avoided - I just let what happens - happen.
Old 10/13/2005, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

That's an incredible story. Crazy to see that these things can sometimes have a mind of their own