Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Can Dwarf or Pygmy Seahorses be raised in PINT canning jars??
Yes, they can with no filter, heater, etc. 5 8.20%
Yes, they can but with a filter 4 6.56%
Yes, they can but they need a heater 0 0%
No, not at all 52 85.25%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09/27/2005, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Aerosmith.... I agree with you .. I went to the seahorse forum to check and see if she'd posted like we suggested and found her thread.... You are also correct in stating that nano's are for low bio-loads... My 12gal NC may end up with two fish but the theme is for the corals that I'll be adding and fish will be a secondary concern.... It is a shame that there are folks that like to push the envelope without any real background just to say: "Look what I did"... It's even worse ( IMO ) when they try to tell other folks that it's ok because they have had some short term sucess...

There was a fella on here that was a Navy Officer and his theme was to cram as much into a tiny space as he could... He even went as far as to admit that his water perameters were never any good but thought that he could stay on top of it..... ( yea right ).... He is no longer posting here.... nor is he spreading his trash to others.... I view these kinds of folks this way: " You can play Russian ruelett all you want but one day that 5th bullet will kill ya."

Bob
Old 09/27/2005, 07:05 PM
Get Your War On!!

So I admit to knowing little about dwarf seahorses..but it seems that the best thing for them would be the smallest container that you could manage to keep decent water quality in right?
I mean..they are fine if they don't move all day, their food has to be right in front of them or they starve...a pint jar may be extreme..but it was only temperary...though 4 seems like a lot to me.
They couldn't tell a 50 gallon tank from the ocean...except for in a 50G they would starve to death...

I believe her...and I bet money that I could do it too..too much trouble though with the hatching etc...

This seems to be once of the only times where you would actually be crueler by keeping something in a larger tank.

Oh Lord...I'm not ready for this sort of thing.
Old 09/28/2005, 07:58 AM
Moved On

I have mine in a 20 gallon, plumbed to the rest of my tanks, so they have the water quality of around 250 gallons. I haven't found the "feeding density" theory to be true. They do move....

I try to add live food twice a day, either BBS or copepods. The food just moves around the tank until somebody snicks it. I also add phytoplanton so the "food" gets fed!

Do you really want to bet?
Old 09/28/2005, 11:27 AM
Get Your War On!!

That I could keep a dwarf seahorse in a pint jar?

No, not really, cuase I would have to buy them, have them shipped to me, hatch brine shrimp, take lots of pics and upload them to a site, and in general worry about them...but "I bet...that I could" () : )

But if you say that they are not essentially immobial and are capable of hunting down their own food in a larger system then it would be frivilous/idiotic to keep them in anything excessivily small, becuase why waste your time on a jar with a seahorse in it when you could have a nice tank full of life.

Cheers,

grimmjohn

Old 09/28/2005, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

Where do they occure naturally..???? In pint jars..??? NO.... So of course they can hunt down their own food.... Either that or they get it when it floats by... Either way, that's not a concern for keeping them in small quarters.....

Bob
Old 09/28/2005, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

lol you people are crazy, no matter what you say shes not going to change her oppinon, or post pictures. So just leave her be with her imaginary seahorses in a jar.
Old 09/28/2005, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyLionfish
lol you people are crazy, no matter what you say shes not going to change her oppinon, or post pictures. So just leave her be with her imaginary seahorses in a jar.

You're right..... actually, I think she left long ago.... I think now it's just banter.....

Bob
Old 09/28/2005, 05:56 PM
Fishaholics Anonymous

i think this is all rediculous obviously people wont change their ways but if they can live in billion gallon oceans they can live in a 10 gallon tank most defiantely ive even seen thes ein tanks as big as 65 gallons just the tank had alot of natural food it had enough pods to support a mandarin but they got a seahorse instead it can be done just takes more patience and work and bettas arent bred in pint jars they are bred in a "barracks" style tank which is about 2 quarts usually and constantly has fresh water dripping into themn the water is changed out a few hundred times a day and the fish grow very fast and prosper with the regular exchange of water a friend of mine used to breed bettas for a living

nano-cube dx
65 gallon african cichlid tank
2.5 gal betta tank

Adam
Old 09/28/2005, 06:22 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by grimmjohn

But if you say that they are not essentially immobial and are capable of hunting down their own food in a larger system then it would be frivilous/idiotic to keep them in anything excessivily small, becuase why waste your time on a jar with a seahorse in it when you could have a nice tank full of life.

Cheers,

grimmjohn
I love this person!!!!
Old 09/28/2005, 06:53 PM
Get Your War On!!

And I love You too () : )
I'm taken though...next lifetime maybe

Cheers,

grimmjohn

Old 09/28/2005, 07:05 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: On the Elk River/Chesapeake Bay in Elkton/North East, Maryland
Wow, you guys are BRUTAL! I do not think she will be back on RC for a while.
Old 09/28/2005, 07:07 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, I take that back. She is currently brousing the Nano Reefs fourm.

(Moderated by: Agu, Carlos, EdKruzel, traveller7)
(Users Browsing this Forum: tonym10,Guppy_Girl , air_doc28, chrishet, Tigahboy, steelers559792, mbunakeith, fella1320, FishyBiz, fishman805, Pattylucylaura, JustFin, phineasdad, pimp2daizzo, NorthernCF, waterman78, squier, Severum, WendyMc, julien, weedage66, MinnowMuncher, sebae89)
Old 09/28/2005, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

yes I am also watching this thread!!
Old 09/28/2005, 07:17 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

I was not trying to be rude..... I just think they may have made their point by now and should take a chill pill and back off a little, Thats all...
Old 09/28/2005, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Oh. Sorry Thanks. I wasn't trying to be rude either... sorry if it sounded that way!?!?!!!
Old 09/28/2005, 07:59 PM
Moved On

I'm chilling! I just wanted to flirt with that sexy grimmjohn!

And, now that I've been so flatley rejected, I'm going to go put on my Victorias Secret nightie, maybe put on a little sweet smelling something......and go feed my fish!

Guppy Girl, if you feel confident to do dwarf seahorses again, by all means, we want you to succeed! Just re-evaluate what went wrong last time, and go for it!

These guys will help, even if they suck at flirting!
Old 09/28/2005, 08:24 PM
Midnight thread lurker

Old 09/28/2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I can't believe that there are so many responses to this ridiculous thread??? *shaking my head*
Old 09/28/2005, 10:32 PM
Get Your War On!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerosmith
Victorias Secret nightie
LOL () : )

I hope
A) You're a female
B) You look like Adrina Lima

Otherwise...well...I just don't need to know () : )

Cheers,

grimmjohn

P.S. It's not you, it's me () : )
Sorry if I suck at flirting..but my G/F likes to read my posts LOL.

Old 09/29/2005, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

I AM going to do the seahorses again!! Just as soon as I can get my dad to send the money.... he has to use his PayPal account...................OH WELL
Old 09/29/2005, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Keeping pets isn't about you and your ego as to what miserable living conditions you can keep some animal in.

You would never lock a horse up in a the stable and keep it locked up until it died. Why would you treat fish like that?

Or maybe you would.
Old 09/29/2005, 01:47 PM
Get Your War On!!

Maybe you could just buy them back from the person you sold them too...they are probably tired of hatching brine shrimp by now () : )

How many are you going to put into the 2 gallon tank in your sig?

Just wondering, cheers,

grimmjohn

Old 09/29/2005, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

No, He wouldn't sell them back to mebesides... I don't want to inbreed them too much.... and anyway.... he's a college kid that REALLY wanted them....

I am probably going to buy two trios and get them breeding.... I can sell the babies and adults to the LFS

Last edited by Guppy_Girl; 09/29/2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09/29/2005, 04:13 PM
Get Your War On!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Guppy_Girl
besides... I don't want to inbreed them too much
?

Old 09/29/2005, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

inbreed? wut da... lol lol lol this thread is hilarious.

Should Be Called: The Comedy Thread