Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2005, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

ot......removed by self

Last edited by Jim13; 09/28/2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09/28/2005, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

I think in his original post he just wanted some advice on what he can do with the situation. I don't think he asked everyone for their opinion about HOA or the city of Irvine, everyone is so quick to jump on someone because he feels that it wasn't fair for his neighbor to have a black gate and he couldn't. It is a justifiable claim.

Sorry to get off subject....... It will be best to just paint your gate white, saves you from all the headaches. The rules are set to keep the neighborhood more desirable, so it is a benefit and downfall for buying a home in these areas.

In my neighborhood, we have a neighbor 4 houses down that painted their house orange. Let me tell you, orange is not a great color for your house.
Old 09/28/2005, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

How ironic. As soon as I was done reading this post - I went to the mailbox and there was a letter from the landlord saying she is raising my rent $100 a month. That just sucks!
Old 09/28/2005, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

I hope you are just kidding

If not, that just sucks
Old 09/28/2005, 04:13 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bennyinca
OMG
How do you go from comments about how a neighborhood association is run, to making an ignorant statement like that towards the almost 200,000 people who live in that city?
Just how many people do you know in Irvine?
I know a lot of people out there figuring I lived there about 10 years.....My sister still lives out there and cant stand it...I prefer North County it seems people are more down to earth up there...Im stuck in Lake forest though which almost is as bad as Irvine...
Old 09/28/2005, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all for your comments and advise. (I think

I did read the CC&Rs all last night (even through the new Amazing race) The manual states its a guidence and no mention of it being the law?

Thanks!
Old 09/28/2005, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by proraptor
I know a lot of people out there figuring I lived there about 10 years.....My sister still lives out there and cant stand it...I prefer North County it seems people are more down to earth up there...Im stuck in Lake forest though which almost is as bad as Irvine...
How funny people live in areas they can't stand - there is something called "moving" if you're an adult. Teens are a different story

What is a lot? Lets say you know 1,000 ppl there. That is not even 1% of that city's population...
Old 09/28/2005, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simon.007
Thanks all for your comments and advise. (I think

I did read the CC&Rs all last night (even through the new Amazing race) The manual states its a guidence and no mention of it being the law?

Thanks!

I think that is right. By not complying to the CC&R's you can be subject to fines, but you are not breaking the city laws unless you pose harm of any kind. Never heard of anyone going to jail for painting their house the wrong color
Old 09/28/2005, 05:13 PM
Moved On

Quote:
How funny people live in areas they can't stand - there is something called "moving" if you're an adult. Teens are a different story

What is a lot? Lets say you know 1,000 ppl there. That is not even 1% of that city's population...
Its also called moving in with your mom thats getting a divorce to help pay her ridiculously high rent payment...You dont have to KNOW people to know how they are...I used to work down there and would interact with many people that lived there and all were pretty much the same...People in south county are in a dream world!
Old 09/28/2005, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
You dont have to KNOW people to know how they are...
really?

Quote:
I used to work down there and would interact with many people that lived there and all were pretty much the same...People in south county are in a dream world!
Any chance it is not them, it is you? J/K

Hey if someone wants to drive a porsche instead of a VW then get real and expect to pay up... same thing goes for their lifestyle!
Old 09/28/2005, 05:52 PM
Fish Yenta

No, you won't go to jail as a law breaker -- except that some CC&Rs are enforced at a government level by local ordinance, but it would say that if they were. (Historic districts, etc.)

Outstanding fines will be collected one way or another, usually when you are trying to sell the place, the HOA will hold up the title to the property. However, CC&Rs can be enforced by placing liens on the property against unpaid fines, which means they technically can foreclose on the property to collect. I think you'd REALLY have to **** off your neighbors for that!
Old 09/28/2005, 05:58 PM
Moved On

Yeah really, people can sit and observe other people it isnt hard to figure out how they are...

Irvine a Porsche? Yeah right! Irvine is maybe a chrysler 300 at most, if you want porsche you look up in the nicer parts of the LA area, or maybe some of the coastal cities.
Old 09/28/2005, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah really, people can sit and observe other people it isnt hard to figure out how they are...
Well if you are so quick to judge people, then that says it all!

Quote:
Irvine a Porsche? Yeah right! Irvine is maybe a chrysler 300 at most, if you want porsche you look up in the nicer parts of the LA area, or maybe some of the coastal cities. [/B]
Not trying to rate anything here. I think you're missing my point, which is people make choices. If you're looking for a place to live, you can choose to pay a few more $ to live in Irvine. If you live in Irvine, that is your choice. The same goes for the car. No one makes you buy a Porsche. If you drive you, that is your choice, and with that comes the payments. Simple as that.
Old 09/28/2005, 06:56 PM
Moved On

Well let me sum it all up....Ive lived in Irvine for many years, even went to school out there as a youngin and hated every single minute I was there....Here are some reasons I hate Irvine:

You have to deal with stupid associations and all those stupid stop signs in the loop (because stop lights look too trashy! LOL).

Then you get to deal with all the a-hole nickle millionaires that think their **** dont stink. Its very rare to find someone unique out there everyone is like a ROBOT always following everyone else and doing what they are told to do.

You also have to deal with the drivers that think they own the road just because their car was more expensive.

You get to see 16 year old kids driving hummers, porsche, bmw's, mercedes! How fun! Teach your kids responsibility! Tell them to get a job show them what REAL life is...

The north and south lake smell like crap and arent fun to walk around.

Every house looks the same......

Try and find an autoparts store or a walmart! Goodluck those stores are too trashy for the Irvine people!

Girls are stuck up out there...If you dont drive a benz or cedes you arent getting any action!

Im sure I could come up with more but its time to fight the traffic home yippee! California is great!
Old 09/28/2005, 07:33 PM

I will agree with what Nicole said, if there is someting that you dont like about the HOA then you need to start attending the meetings and be more active in making changes. My gf use to live in LAke forest and we had a verry tought HOA in a housing center. At one point they wanted all of the people to remove all of the bball hoops from there houses or keep them out of sight. Well since the community was full of kids and all the people there got together we where all able to change that with in a few weeks. But I will also say that you need to be verry carefull of how you go by doing this. Becuase some pleople the are on the board are jerks and will try to use that power to their advantage. But the is the big reason we sold the house and decieded to buy out of state. Things here in Cali have gone realy bad as far as HOA and price of home. One more reason why more and more people are selling and moving to arizona, new mexico or neighboring states. I would say just paint the fance white and everything will be fine.

"we are that which can not be seen, just shadows in the darkness that we call the light"
Old 09/28/2005, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

There are good parts of Irvine - and not so good parts of Irvine. I've lived in both.
Old 09/28/2005, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Thank God! The Board members are elected. If the Irvine Association management company (Crummack Huseby, Inc.) was nicer, pleasant, and explained why our neighbors were approved and we are not, I would just paint the gate. Instead they are vague, not helpful and just not pleasant at times. I guess being a board member is the only recourse to help the management company understand that they cannot be "mean" to the communities for the communities are the stock holders. This is indeed a good civic lesson for me. I will need to start contributing more (time and money, instead on fish ƒ¼) to the political engine that runs the USA. So any of you are ambitious, up and coming political inspired or their volunteers chime in and let me know what's next! God Bless the USA!!
PS What do you guys think of Arnold's special elections and it's Proposition? Any site to help clear up about the left vs. right wing agenda?
Old 09/29/2005, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well let me sum it all up....Ive lived in Irvine for many years, even went to school out there as a youngin and hated every single minute I was there....Here are some reasons I hate Irvine:

You have to deal with stupid associations and all those stupid stop signs in the loop (because stop lights look too trashy! LOL).

Then you get to deal with all the a-hole nickle millionaires that think their **** dont stink. Its very rare to find someone unique out there everyone is like a ROBOT always following everyone else and doing what they are told to do.

You also have to deal with the drivers that think they own the road just because their car was more expensive.

You get to see 16 year old kids driving hummers, porsche, bmw's, mercedes! How fun! Teach your kids responsibility! Tell them to get a job show them what REAL life is...

Try and find an autoparts store or a walmart! Goodluck those stores are too trashy for the Irvine people!

Girls are stuck up out there...If you dont drive a benz or cedes you arent getting any action!

Im sure I could come up with more but its time to fight the traffic home yippee! California is great!
Sounds like someone has no idea what he's talking about. You generalize over insignificant things. Yes, it is hard to find a place open past 10pm, alot of the houses are "cookie cutter houses", people do have nice cars, but how do you know that they're all millionaires or stuck up or not unique?

These might be bad things to you, but just remember one thing...Irvine is SAFE. It's clean, it's a nice place to live. Yeah, there are rich kids that have nice cars, but that's their problem. Doesn't mean that everyone in the city thinks or acts like that. You need to get out and see other places...

Regarding the HOA problem. I almost had a run-in with my HOA. I basically had my plans approved and it included a cement walk-way from my backyard gate to the pavement so that I don't have to drag my trash cans across dirt and mud. It was approved but half a year later after landscape completion, they sent me a letter stating it was against HOA rules. I never replied because I had a copy of the plans in hand and it was approved with the cement walk-way there. They left me alone. Their mistake. My suggestion is to just suck it up and paint it to their liking unless they made a mistake and approved it. Yeah, I'm not too big on HOA's either (hate paying for em and hate having them tell me what I can and can't do), but the benefits of them are there too as was stated in other replies...
Old 09/29/2005, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

hey proraptor...ya garbage grove is SO much nicer than irvine. i wish i could live there instead.
Old 09/29/2005, 03:11 AM
Loan Shark Willy

sounds like someone doesn't get out much and is EXTREMELY JEALOUS! i feel for your mom, but seriously, if you hate it that much and think you mom is paying a rediculous rent, then MOVE. keep in mind that rents are lower in garden grove, westminster, etc....you get the drift.

do you believe that the folks in irvine all have a money tree growing in their backyard? they work as much, if not more, than the rest of the folks in socal. they just happen to be good at what they do, thus they get paid more and can easily maintain a lifestyle different from yours.

grow up.

Quote:

Old 09/29/2005, 10:42 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by sunyatsen
hey proraptor...ya garbage grove is SO much nicer than irvine. i wish i could live there instead.
Garden Grove is easily 1000 times better than irvine...I hate Irvine
Old 09/29/2005, 10:45 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilafur
sounds like someone doesn't get out much and is EXTREMELY JEALOUS! i feel for your mom, but seriously, if you hate it that much and think you mom is paying a rediculous rent, then MOVE. keep in mind that rents are lower in garden grove, westminster, etc....you get the drift.

grow up.

Cant move she is binded by her contract until may of next year, they want her to pay some ridiculous amount to break the contract.

BTW: Im not jealous I could get my dad to buy me a house out there if I wanted but I choose not to take my parents money or help....Im proud to say I was the only person in my school that bought my own truck without parental help...

Even with the money I make I could afford to live out there...but there is no way in hell I could stand it...People out there bug the crap out of me...
Old 09/29/2005, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Proraptor - seems like most of your rants are towards something being trashy or not, and how other people spend their earned money.

Quote:
This is part of the problem *hint hint*
Old 09/29/2005, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Irvine a Porsche? Yeah right! Irvine is maybe a chrysler 300 at most, if you want porsche you look up in the nicer parts of the LA area, or maybe some of the coastal cities.
please I see people with a 911 in santa ana/westminster. I work in Irvine and Porsches are are nothing special here.
Old 09/29/2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Not trying to rate anything here. I think you're missing my point, which is people make choices. If you're looking for a place to live, you can choose to pay a few more $ to live in Irvine. If you live in Irvine, that is your choice. The same goes for the car. No one makes you buy a Porsche. If you drive you, that is your choice, and with that comes the payments. Simple as that.