Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/22/2005, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

CPR Flood

Hi Everyone, I had a huge flood today. My CPR somehow lost it's siphon and, I'm not sure how, but the Aqua filter pump ended up becoming unplugged (I might have done this a while ago, I learned my lesson). My problem is, now with the Aqua Filter pump, I am having trouble getting the siphon started again. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
Ryan
Old 09/23/2005, 01:42 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Weird mine always primes itself. Fill the area outside the tank, not where the drain is but the little area next to the tank adn drain, with water. It may take a couple of cups but that should get it running again.

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 09/23/2005, 01:54 PM
ostensibly normal

Mine seemed to get a bit gunked up on the intake side. I took it apart and cleaned out the rubber bells inside and it started working again.
Old 09/23/2005, 04:11 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Ryan once you ge things going again you will need to rethink your setup. It should never flood if you have it setup properly. You need to limit the amount of water that your return pump has access to so your tank will not flood when your overflow fails.
Old 09/23/2005, 04:13 PM
Generic Member

Also, think about getting a decent U Tube overflow that doesn't need a pump to make up for a bad design.
Old 09/24/2005, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, these are all good ideas, but for now, I can't seem to get the siphon going again. It was working great for about 9 months, and suddenly the siphon just stopped and all the water was being returned into the mail tank from the sume, and over the top and on to the floor.. I took everything apart, and cleaned it all out, and still can't seem to get the siphon going again..
Old 09/24/2005, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Make sure the air fitting on the box isn't plugged with algae.(use a small pin to clean it out.) As stated before make sure both sides of the overflow have water in them. I had a lifter pump quit on me and wouldn't pull a siphon, seem to work better if you use a power head in the sump with a hose hooked to it.
Old 09/24/2005, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

I have the same set up.. Disconnect the hose from the intake side of the aqua lifter pump and start the siphon with your mouth on the hose coming out of the overflow. I keep a cup right on me so i can spit out the water. LOL Once you get it going put the hose back on the intake of the aqua lifter. Also. . . make sure you do not have an air leak around the nipple that the hose connects to on the top of the overflow. They sometimes work themselves loose as I had to add a bead of silicone for a good seal.
Old 09/24/2005, 11:28 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

The CPR overflows are notorious for losing siphon and not restarting again after a power outage and such.
Old 09/24/2005, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Your aqua pump is probably shot. You need a new one. I always keep a spare one just in case that happens and always make sure the ail line doesn't get clogged with algea, use a paper clip to clean the hole on top of the box to make sure it is unclogged. I change my aqua pump every six months even if it is still working. I also use the prefilter before the pump.
Old 09/25/2005, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

I have two CPR CS-102s on my 140 only because it was never drilled. I have had the same problem in the past and I think I have a working solution:

1) put a float switch http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/index.htm in the tank that will turn the power to the return pump OFF when the water level gets too high due to overflow failure.

2) put a Rio 600V or 800V http://www.aquadirect.com/store/cust...cat=241&page=1 in your sump with the air line going to the CPR overflow.

3) if you can afford it use two overflows. If one fails, the other one should keep working. You can get factory seconds from http://amekaaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...Code=_SECONDS. They work fine but have minor asthetic flaws.

Works for me.
Old 09/25/2005, 11:20 AM
mmmmmm Fish

I use a small powerhead with a venturi sitting next to the overflow-- pulls a suction all the time and I've never lost siphon during a power outage... it will break siphon on water changes, when I start up my sump return pump (this powerhead runs off same powerstrip)-- a new siphon will be initiated in about 15 seconds (prior to my tank overflowing)-- no issues over 4 years running a CPR CS-50.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen
Old 09/25/2005, 11:49 AM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

^Yes attaching the air hose to a PH's venturi is the most reliable and cheapest remedy to CPR's poor design.