Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2005, 04:19 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Dinoman, you need to tie the cat to the harness, not the wood
We've talked about that! Maybe this winter I can get Harley to pull the kitty on a sled ride!

Last weekend on our camping trip I took care of another dog too and we were talking about hitching the other dog to Harley since it kept wandering off .

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 09/02/2005, 04:54 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Who said anything about giving the kitty a sled ride Just tie the cat to Harley, and throw a ball. JK
Old 09/02/2005, 05:06 PM
TRC Leader

Dino, you should get a little radio flyer and adjust it for Harley's harness. Then he can get some better forward motion when he is pulling. I'd guess dead weight is tough to start off with. Then the kitty can hitch a ride on that!
Old 09/02/2005, 05:09 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

They do make special harnesses for pulling wagons! And you can get the pieces to modify the wagon. And I do have a wagon! Just need to put wheels on it. Hmmm...that might be my next order!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 09/05/2005, 09:11 PM
TRC Leader

I got to see Odie Sunday. It was the first time since my last dog Homer passed away that a smile graced my heart not just my lips.

Old 09/05/2005, 09:13 PM
Moved In

Oh, what a cutie! Bet you can't wait to get him

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/05/2005, 09:16 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Look at those eyes! I like the first pic . You do know that upon getting a new puppy you have to change your avatar to picture of him don't you?

Old 09/05/2005, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

What a Beauty!! Congrats!

Be sure to NOT overfeed him...you want to be able to tell where his belly stops and his hips begin. In the larger breeds like this overfeeding as a puppy can weaken hips (even in genetically "clean" dogs) and increase chances of hip dysplasia....which would ruin a Schutzhund and/or breeding career, not to mention cause unecessary and avoidable pain.
Old 09/05/2005, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

BTW: An AWESOME website that is an absolute wealth of information on handling dogs, working WITH their drives, etc is http://www.leerburg.com/

He actually specializes in German Shephard working dogs (i.e. Police, tracking, Personal protection, Schutzhund, etc). TERRIFIC sections on working with a new puppy, training tips, even recipes for making your own dog food if you want.

:-)
Old 09/05/2005, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Oh sweet Mother of Abraham!!! That face just grabs you! What a gorgeous dog....you've got yourself one handsome boy there! Can't wait to watch him grow up! (you'll will be forced to post pictures and post them often!! )

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 09/05/2005, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefcherie
. One of the dogs I inherited when my friend died would about pull my arm out of my socket if he saw a cat or a squirrel! Maybe it is just a question of making it clear that it is not OK to chase anything w/o permission - I'm not sure.
That doesn't necessarily make a dog unsocialized....just untrained. Or rather, partially trained. Becuase when a dog is learning a new skill you have to first teach him what you expect....true TRAINING, which should take place in an environment with no disctraction. Then comes a polishing phase where he learns to CONTINUE obeying you even WITH distractions. As his training level increases, the distraction level can safely increase with the dog maintaining his training. Obviously your friends dog was good on a leash until the distraction level was raised past his threshold!

The leerburg website and puppy training video REALLY helped us a lot with our beagle on a leash. Beagles have an incredible drive to "GO" so Pixie had to learn not to pull and hurt my back. She now knows what "Far Enough" means and does really well walking around the block, etc. I can walk with her on a leash and push my son in the stroller, even past houses with fenced dogs, or stray cats or whatever.

This isn't formal healing or anything, just walking on a leash without having to fight.
Old 09/05/2005, 09:51 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Oh, what a cutie! Bet you can't wait to get him
I seriously will go mad having to wait all this time to take him home! I know it's worth the wait but that was hard to keep in my mind when he fell asleep in my lap yesterday.

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
Look at those eyes! I like the first pic . You do know that upon getting a new puppy you have to change your avatar to picture of him don't you?
lol Some sort of RC rule I missed I guess. I might just do that when I get him home.

Quote:
Originally posted by white_queen
What a Beauty!! Congrats!

Be sure to NOT overfeed him...you want to be able to tell where his belly stops and his hips begin. In the larger breeds like this overfeeding as a puppy can weaken hips (even in genetically "clean" dogs) and increase chances of hip dysplasia....which would ruin a Schutzhund and/or breeding career, not to mention cause unecessary and avoidable pain.
Thanks white_queen! I'm going to be super good about his diet and the care of his growing bones. My last shep. had hip dysplasia, even though it was a mild case I could not wish that pain when they get older on any dog. Thank you also for the website link and video. I'll check that out later tonight.

Quote:
Originally posted by emilye2
Oh sweet Mother of Abraham!!! That face just grabs you! What a gorgeous dog....you've got yourself one handsome boy there! Can't wait to watch him grow up! (you'll will be forced to post pictures and post them often!! )
I bet he is going to grow up too fast for my liking. Is your little pup (cough.. cough.. pictures) growing by leaps?

I'll post pictures often, you guys will get sick of it I'm sure!
Old 09/05/2005, 09:54 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by emilye2
Yeah! UNLIKE some people around here.

Old 09/05/2005, 09:56 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by TippyToeX
I'll post pictures often, you guys will get sick of it I'm sure!
Oh, I don't think so! You have a loooooooong way to go to catch up to me!

Old 09/05/2005, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

He IS a _beautiful_ puppy....think how gorgeous that coat will be when he loses those "fuzzies"....hehehehehe
Old 09/05/2005, 09:58 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
I got to see Odie Sunday. It was the first time since my last dog Homer passed away that a smile graced my heart not just my lips.

nice lookin dog.
Old 09/05/2005, 10:00 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Oh, I don't think so! You have a loooooooong way to go to catch up to me!
Ha! You just watch, when I get him home I'll go nuts. For now..

*yawn*

Quote:
Originally posted by white_queen
He IS a _beautiful_ puppy....think how gorgeous that coat will be when he loses those "fuzzies"....hehehehehe
Thanks! I wish I took a good picture of his dad. He was the sweetest boy. Gorgeous soft coat and loving eyes. I think The Odie-man will take after his dad.
Old 09/05/2005, 10:09 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Ha! You just watch, when I get him home I'll go nuts. For now..

*yawn*
I'm ready! Only problem is yours is still cute and fuzzy! My widdle boy is growing all up!

Old 09/05/2005, 10:20 PM
TRC Leader

Bah, they never grow up. Even the gray faced dogs are still puppies to those who love them. Or for that matter I think everyone who loves dogs/cats can see the youth shine through in any aged animal.
Old 09/06/2005, 05:26 AM
Garbologist

Quote:

Are you sure that Odie is not female? Look!......he is already talking

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 09/06/2005, 05:42 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Bah, they never grow up. Even the gray faced dogs are still puppies to those who love them. Or for that matter I think everyone who loves dogs/cats can see the youth shine through in any aged animal.
Yeah, but its significantly easier to OOOO and Ahhhh the non-dog crowd with puppies!

Old 09/06/2005, 06:21 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Great lookin' puppy! Those look to be some pretty big paws too!

Journey, our GSD, had HUGE paws when he was a pup. True to form, he is a giant! Unfortunately he is under-weight, though, due to an enzyme/gland problem. We have to give him a pill 30min before eats. To add to that, he is allergic to chicken so we have to feed him lamb and rice dog food...but he loves vegetables for treats!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09/06/2005, 02:23 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by smiller
Are you sure that Odie is not female? Look!......he is already talking
Well he whined and cried like a spoiled brat so I was very sure he is male.

Quote:
Yeah, but its significantly easier to OOOO and Ahhhh the non-dog crowd with puppies!
True, very true. Score one for Odie!

Quote:
Originally posted by VoidRaven
Great lookin' puppy! Those look to be some pretty big paws too!
Thanks! They are big paws. The breeder guessed he would get to be like his dad, and he is 85lbs at 6 years of age.
Old 09/06/2005, 03:39 PM
Garbologist

Quote:
Well he whined and cried like a spoiled brat so I was very sure he is male.
Yep....gotta be male for sure!

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 09/06/2005, 05:09 PM
no pig 2 big

Quote:
Originally posted by Q-ball
You mentioned lapdogs...I had a 140lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever growing up that thought he was a lapdog He was an awesome dog and would likely be my 2nd choice.

Chris if something changes and you decide to go with a Chessie let me know and I'll hook you up with a great local breeder from Ewing, NJ...