Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2005, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by water`bug
Called a local Vetinary Clinic after evacuating from New orleans to Baton Rouge, he heard the panic in my voice and told me to come right in, he'd see my lab right away.

I walked into an unfamiliar clinic and the Doctor took immediate charge. The compassion for our situation was overwhelming. In fact the Doctor, for the last few nights has called me twice a night after checking on him... after hours. Many tests, IV drips, my black lab, well, not good.

The decision had to be made as my baby was suffering. This morning when Sir TJay and I arrived to be with Bruiser till the end, the Doctor hugged me and said... "Yall have been through enough, my heart goes out to you two. This one is on me. My gift to you."

This stranger, with a heart full of compassion and love... waved $500 in services as he was compelled to help.

You may see the *uglies on TV*... just know there is AS MUCH *good* in people as there is... ugly.
I'm really sorry for your loss and what you and your family has had to endure. I also have family in Slidell and they evacuated but took a beating, as far as we know thier home is a total loss, they left with the clothes on thier backs, their cats, dogs and reptiles.you will be in my prayers. I plan on heading down to Slidell proably the end of next week to help pick up the pieces. I'll send u a PM with my cell number if I can help I'm there!
Old 09/02/2005, 09:42 PM
Moved On

This is truely one of the sadest things I have ever seen. Stay strong

Typo I truely hope your and your family are OK. I have always enjoyed your knowledge here @ RC
Old 09/02/2005, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Being following this thread, my prayer goes out to all those effected. I also found a site with some updated local information, perhaps waterbug or others in the area can contribute information to it also:
http://www.scipionus.com/
Old 09/03/2005, 07:27 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Saltynewb, was wondering if you would post some pics. Glad things are looking up there.
Old 09/03/2005, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=662090

there are some pics I took yesterday
Old 09/04/2005, 08:26 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Anyone heard from typo?
Old 09/04/2005, 02:43 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

How is everyone doing today. Any new updates. Waterbug, saltynewb and others.

Saltynewb, thanks for the heads up on t-greene. I jumped into the lareefclub and pm'd him. I just asked that he post on the css thread and let us know hes ok. He didnt realize he has that many followers. So he popped on this morning.
Old 09/04/2005, 02:55 PM
Mmmmm Beer...

Just waiting to see the damage sometime next week...
Old 09/04/2005, 03:12 PM
Moved On

i hate that smell of rotting coral/fish. that bacterial smell. it is indelibly marked in my mind with loss after i failed in my attempt to drive my tank cross country with things in a cooler and we were lugging a 100+ lb cooler with pumps into hotels across the country. the fish died in new mexico, the corals dissolved in texas. it was a four year old tank.

everytime i smell that smell i feel great sadness.

of course nothing compares to the terrible tragedy that has befallen you guys.
you guys are in my prayers
Old 09/04/2005, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

My prays are with you all, if there's anything i can do let me know.
Old 09/04/2005, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Our remaining fish were safely transported out of the affected area today.
We lost the copperband and yellow tang. We lost most of the corals but some are hanging on. We used our QT and have a temp tank running outside of town. Water bug will update yall later
Old 09/04/2005, 07:20 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

Dont worry about the coral. I have lots of frags to get you back started. You just let me know when. And keep us posted. Glad they are safe.
Old 09/04/2005, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

I have put this u.k. news link up incase it may be of some help.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...na/default.stm
Old 09/04/2005, 11:20 PM
Yep, that's our sailfin!

Thankfully we did NOt have many corals so none lost yet. The fish are ALIVE. Check my thread for more info.

90g SPS Reef
our myReef is currently offline

Old 09/04/2005, 11:24 PM
Moved On

think its possible to have introduced species from storm surge in coastal mississippi? if anyone there had a tank im sure its inhabitants are out in the gulf somewhere. i heard storm surge pulls materal it smashes back into the sea.
Old 09/04/2005, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

well . . . im also from new orleans! we tried to go back home today . . and it was a 12 hour waste! they wouldnt let us in !they said it isnt open until 6 a.m. tommorow! it was our fault though . . . and was a gamble . . . but we were trying to save our bunny! i am 99% sure my 5.5 gallon reef is gone because we had no back up service, no electricity, who knows how hot it got, and
no lights! we are in beaumont,texas and we are looking for a temp. apartment! i am soo sad right now! im exhausted! well i guess im very lucky compared to some of the other people out there but im still sad and in a bad situation! i thank all of you for the kind words!

thanks,
nick
Old 09/05/2005, 12:15 AM
Yep, that's our sailfin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Breaker4show
well . . . im also from new orleans! we tried to go back home today . . and it was a 12 hour waste! they wouldnt let us in !they said it isnt open until 6 a.m. tommorow! it was our fault though . . . and was a gamble . . . but we were trying to save our bunny! i am 99% sure my 5.5 gallon reef is gone because we had no back up service, no electricity, who knows how hot it got, and
no lights! we are in beaumont,texas and we are looking for a temp. apartment! i am soo sad right now! im exhausted! well i guess im very lucky compared to some of the other people out there but im still sad and in a bad situation! i thank all of you for the kind words!

thanks,
nick
I am sorry that they didnt let you in today breaker, we got in yesterday and they didnt give us any trouble. Where did you try to enter at? Airline they were letting people in.

Good luck tomorrow and be patient and safe.

90g SPS Reef

Old 09/05/2005, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

we got back in to new orleans this afternoon. We were rejected at I-10 and Airline, so we took the Luling Bridge and got off at River road (of course going through several back roads to get there) and cleaned up our house today and helped rip of friends carpets. It's going to be a mess tomorrow, i would wait a few days at least.
Old 09/05/2005, 01:06 AM
Yep, that's our sailfin!

Quote:
Originally posted by SaltyNewb
we got back in to new orleans this afternoon. We were rejected at I-10 and Airline, so we took the Luling Bridge and got off at River road (of course going through several back roads to get there) and cleaned up our house today and helped rip of friends carpets. It's going to be a mess tomorrow, i would wait a few days at least.
heh, nice job finding your way around those guys stopping everyone from getting in. I am surprised they did that, it seems the more they turn away today the more will be around tomorrow waiting in line. Kind of stupid.

90g SPS Reef

Old 09/05/2005, 05:07 AM
Madrepore Zealot

Quote:
Originally posted by wentreefgirl
Anyone heard from typo?
They are OK, got a PM, they are in Orlando.
Old 09/05/2005, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wentreefgirl
How is everyone doing today. Any new updates. Waterbug, saltynewb and others.
Yesterday was the day from hell!

We *snuck in* and transferred everything we could salvage from our 90g to the 50g QT tank and took it over to Sir TJay's office where there is electricity.

Lost Tango, my Yellow Tang and of course Bandit, my lil fatty Copperband Butterfly and most all of our corals. Good news is, Betty B. is still hanging in there! yayyy!

And please, Tang Police, have a heart and don't damn us for doing a temporary thing to salvage what we could.

Things are looking up, one baby step at a time.

"Click on my little red house for website"
Old 09/05/2005, 08:03 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Wow, even the linkia starfish lived. Now that was a challange. Still got good coraline. Like I said before, when your ready just pm me and I will send you corals. I have many frags ready to go.

Glad typo is doing ok.

Theres a gal from my family board whos house in baton rouge is gone. They migrated to north carolina. She is 6 months preg and has a toddler. Pray they get what they need. I guess they dont have any clothes except a suitcase full. Im just glad everyone can find good shelter when they need.

Last edited by wentreefgirl; 09/05/2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09/05/2005, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

water`bug, I'm thrilled to hear you didn't lose them all !
A little OT though....how long have you had the two types of clowns together ? (Or is that just temp for inthe QT ?)
Do they go after each other at all ?

I'm relieved to hear that so far, everyone is doing good, considering the circumstances.
Old 09/05/2005, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shilo_1
how long have you had the two types of clowns together ? (Or is that just temp for inthe QT ?)
Do they go after each other at all ?
OHHhhh nooo! Pleeease don't tell me we now have *clown police*

I had the Oscelleris first, then added a larger Clarkii; because the O wouldn't go near my BTA. The Clarkii protected her new real estate for an hour... after that, they were fine.

I mentioned on another thread it's almost as if the Clarkii tries to teach the Oscelleris to host! lol They get along great!

"Click on my little red house for website"
Old 09/05/2005, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

rofl....no worries about the police, I was just curious. People always say it can't be done....I think its neat when those theories can be proven wrong (without bad consequinces.)