Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2005, 09:06 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration

BTW, I don't think I'm owed anything other than a honest explaination as to where my fuel expense goes. I feel that way because fuel companies to some extend have always recieved special considerations from the government.
This is not meant to be political because to be honest I'm not ready to point any fingers at any particular group. Our system is what it is and has been for decades.

SteveU
That is all too true. I know gas prices are up and my family is seriously hurting, but more than anything I want to know why I have to go through this. I want to see hard proof. What's that? An oil line sprung a leak? Where's the video footage? Where's the pictures? Where are the people that work on it? I'm not personally saying government, OPEC, or anyone is to blame. I could care less. If I could refine my own oil, I would do it. Gasoline is not a true necessity of human nature, but food and water is. Now when the that starts increasing to the amount that I can't pay for it, then you bet I will be doing something drastic to keep my family alive. And if I can't pay for food and water than obviously our economy is crashing and I will be prepared to go on an extended "camping" vacation. Plus, the wife has been wanting to go camping all summer long
Old 09/02/2005, 02:26 PM
Moved On

Camping............not a bad idea........hunt....grow....tent......COOL!
Old 09/02/2005, 09:48 PM
Bristleworm Farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by lebowski
When I take over the US government, I promise I will lower the prices on gas to 1.00 a gallon...

Just support me when I run for president....
When I'm emperor of the planet, there are a few people that are going to have to leave.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251
Old 09/02/2005, 09:52 PM
Bristleworm Farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
That is all too true. I know gas prices are up and my family is seriously hurting, but more than anything I want to know why I have to go through this. I want to see hard proof. What's that? An oil line sprung a leak? Where's the video footage? Where's the pictures? Where are the people that work on it? I'm not personally saying government, OPEC, or anyone is to blame. I could care less. If I could refine my own oil, I would do it. Gasoline is not a true necessity of human nature, but food and water is. Now when the that starts increasing to the amount that I can't pay for it, then you bet I will be doing something drastic to keep my family alive. And if I can't pay for food and water than obviously our economy is crashing and I will be prepared to go on an extended "camping" vacation. Plus, the wife has been wanting to go camping all summer long
We haven't built an oil refinery since the 70's, the ones we had were operating at 95% capacity 24 hours a day. We just lost 4 of them. Demand is the same but supply is down. In the short term expect to pay more.

Old 09/02/2005, 10:08 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I bought my Ford F150 extended cab about a month ago, only 1 tank of gas so far 15.5 mpg.
So far I've hauled 2 full loads of wood, 1 load of furniture, picked up a lawnmower, and a couple other trips. My suv used to get 19-22 mpg & would of taken 2x as many trips to do the same work.
I commute w/my wife, reducing my travel from around 25k+ miles a year to maybe 6k miles. Figuring on 6k miles a year I guess I could have the truck over 15 years before I hit 100k miles
We use the wife's car for most things, and I have a motorcycle that gets 40 mpg - which will start to see more use.
Our next car in 1-2 years may very well be a hybrid if prices come down & it is cost effective for the future

I think diesels "pollute" more then a gas vehicle...at least I know when I'm breathing in a cloud of diesel smoke that's what it feels like

Maybe biodiesel will start making more progress

Hauling & heating with wood I went from 3 tanks of oil (~750g) to 1.5 tanks - ~375g
So I'm saving in oil what my truck uses in gas for 1 year
Old 09/02/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Finally our prices went down to $2.99. Yay! Gas stations were busy today!
Old 09/02/2005, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Primarily due to the holiday weekend I would guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by kyman_33
Gas stations were busy today!
Old 09/03/2005, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

At least you can get gas, I usually fill in during the summer at a local station while the owner is on vacation, I work his shift anyway I stopped by there yesterday to get a coke on my way to LFS and he told me he had ordered 5000 gallons of regular unleaded and 3000 gallons of deisel what he got was 800 gallons of unleaded and 500 gallons of diesel. That was all they had left to send him and that they would not be getting anymore. They also charged him and extra 30 cents a gallon on top of the 2.25 he was already paying(several months ago, I don't know how much it has gone up before since I haven't been working) then add 16.9 cents a gallon to ship it to him and then add state and federal taxes of 55 cents a gallon in our state and figure out the it is 2.969 now he has to pay for electric to pump it let's give him that extra .001 for that so his expense to just get the gas to your car is 2.97 now you want to pay with plastic debit or credit doesn't matter and you buy 10 gallons at 29.70 the gas company takes another 3.5% of every sale paid for with a credit or debit card that is another 1.03 divided by the 10 gallons so add 10 more cents to his cost, that is 3.07 cents for him to get the gas to your car, he was selling it for 3.09 where was he making any money.
On the drinks you buy when you go in to pay for your gas. actually no he only makes about 4 cents there. The profit for the little guys comes from volumn of total sales. a few cents here a couple here, mainly on the candy,

but it isn;t the station it is the larger gas supply company that is deciding your prices and making all the money.
Old 09/03/2005, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcox33
but it isn;t the station it is the larger gas supply company that is deciding your prices and making all the money.
I would suspect (though I'd swear it seems like there's collusion going on between some of them!)
I've taken solace in the fact that 75% of my 401k fund is invested in an energy fund, that primarily tracks oil/fuel and natural gas. I can't do much to change the current situation, but damnit, if I can retire early off it, I will!
BTW Tom, you got my vote!

- Mac
Old 09/03/2005, 08:41 PM
SpEd Man

Our govenor eliminated state gas tax today for the rest of the month. At least it's .15 cheaper now.
Old 09/03/2005, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crab0000
Our govenor eliminated state gas tax today for the rest of the month. At least it's .15 cheaper now.
That would be a nice relief.
Old 09/03/2005, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Plus with a car that does pretty decent gas mileage, I would say it beats the van we sold that only did 8 mpg. As for maintaining saltwater aquariums there are cheap ways to do this too without very much of an impact on the budget. Cheaper lighting and keep softies which make a full reef tank quickly. Keep cheap fish such as chromis and damsels. Buy used equipment. fix broken stuff. And don't buy into the company crud. Im hoping to get a pic posted of my "ghetto" tank soon.
travis.. true dat. our family van gets about 10mpg (15 passenger chev express) but i WILL be shopping for a mpg efficient car for momma by the end of the year. i figure for the amount of gas money that the old fambus goes thru in a month, i could purchase a zipzip car and gas money and be only about 50-70 bux in the negative. one of the problems is the old teen boy with job still has to be driven to work (no license) and picked up. if old sister is not available on way back from college or work, it costs about $3.25 gas money in van for one trip. and that doesn't include the time that momma has to spend on road with younger brothers to get him there. MOMMY'S A TRUE TROOPER!! $6-7.OO daily in gas costs if fambus goes. all so junior can have a $6.75/hour job. and learn work/budget skills.

buying used is a good way to go also. you just gotta know what you're looking for.
Old 09/04/2005, 09:35 AM
Bristleworm Farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by crab0000
That would be nice, I think it's .40 tax in CT