Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Charleston Reefers Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2005, 07:58 AM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Our own forum on our site?

What would you guys think about this? Take a look at this site I've been working on for Motorcycle riders www.scriders.com The setup is pretty easy to do, on my end and managing it's a piece of cake. So it's no skin off my back to do it. What could be done is to setup a few of the members as moderators of the forum say they can set Calender schedules and news events. Also, there's a built in Pic Gallery, an online chat program, and a couple of other neat things.

I've been tossing the idea around for months, but I've been focuesed elsewhere. I messed around with it a while back and wasn't able to get it to work right, but I'm going to try again. I've got a friend that can help me with it and get it going.

It's not that I want to get away from ReefCentral or anything like that, but it seems that if the 30 or 40 of us had our own place it would work out a lot nicer. And then all those people from Tidelines forum would have had a place to go too.

Thoughts?
Old 08/10/2005, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

i say let's give it a go.

Click the little red house for my tank and it's happenings.
Old 08/10/2005, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a good idea!
Old 08/12/2005, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

That would be great. You might consider have a few forum choices: ie - a reef section, freshwater, for sale, and a general chat area. That way your attracting a bigger group.
Heather
Old 08/14/2005, 08:33 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Glad ya'll like the idea. I'll see what I can do with it this week.

Heather,

Yeah, I agree. We'll set it up like a full blown site with all the different discussion areas. The system will do just about anything you can think of.
Old 08/18/2005, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

That would be sweet man. I asked Chris if I could get a list of email addresses for members of the TL forum. He shot me down though and said he'd give me specific names if I wanted them. Maybe he'll give you the list if you tell him about a new forum.
Old 08/19/2005, 03:59 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

I doubt it. That's one of those things covered under the privacy act. If he gives that out he could be liable. I wouldn't give that information out either unless it was already available.

Thanks for trying though...I'm working on a way to get the site up. Gonna take a few weeks, but soon.
Old 08/19/2005, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

It would be great to have another used equipment section. Esp. since I am about to sell my complete 29 gallon system.
Old 08/24/2005, 03:47 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Update:

Ok...Today I got the software correctly installed onto the web server. There's still a lot of tweaking of the 2 main applications that run the site, so I will begin that process now. Hopefully have the new site up and running soon.

So for now I've disable the www.charlestonreefers.org site until further notice or until I at least get it partially up and running. There are many little things I'd like to get done and test before I turn it loose, so...

At any rate...I will take all the suggestions above into consideration, as well as any future suggestions and comments. All are welcome!

www.charlestonreefers.org
Old 08/24/2005, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Perhaps you could ask Chris to send a link to our new fourm out with one of the newsletters once the site is ready.
Old 08/25/2005, 08:00 AM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Yes I thought about it. I will.
Old 08/25/2005, 10:06 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Small update...

I've got the structure down.

Main Forums
...General Discussion
...Reef Tanks
...Freshwater Tanks
...Ponds
...Do It Yourself
...Fish Stores - Local and Around the State
...Vendor Experiences

Classifieds
...Wanting to Buy
...Wanting to Sell
...Wanting to Trade

I'd like to put in Sponsors section, but we don't have any

I'm open to suggestions...???

Still not open for public use, I've got a few more software updates to do and I should have it up and running next week.
Old 08/25/2005, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

in the buy sell trade is it just equipment or livestock too?

Click the little red house for my tank and it's happenings.
Old 08/25/2005, 10:32 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

For some of us it's deadstock! HEY OH! (Rim shot)

Well if we have to break it into 2 sections like wet and dry, then that will kind of make the page long. Then we'd have 6 total forums in the Classifieds section. You'll see once I turn it on.

The one good thing about having our own site. There's a great feature that lets you check the new posts since your last visit, so you'll be able to keep up with everything.

Am I missing any sections? I thought about adding a Salt Water Only section below Reef Tanks.

OOOH! We have an online CHAT SYSTEM NOW TOO!!!
The club requested that last year.
Old 08/26/2005, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

A salt water section would be nice.