Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2005, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Divers Insurance (DAN) - Worth It?

The lady at the dive shop said she won't dive with out it. Is this just another scam to get your money kinda like the extra insurance on renting a car or is this something I should really consider purchasing? It's not that expensive but do I really need to drop the $39 for a year family membership? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Old 08/03/2005, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't dive without it either. If you ever do need compression treatment it'll cost tens of thousands and the special helicopter evacuation to the facility isn't cheap either (can't fly on a plan when you are bent). They cover many other things as well.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 08/03/2005, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Ok. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
I ask because we are heading to Grand Cayman next month and want to make sure we have our ducks in a row.
Old 08/03/2005, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

DAN insurance is worth it in a lot of respects.
They will insure your gear when it gets damaged on a dive or when you travel. They pay for the treatment if you get the bends and have to go into a pressure chamber. They have life insurance for dive trips for those of us who don't carry it separately. And they even have discounts at certain hotels. I wouldn't go diving without it, and I certainly wouldn't go on a diving trip without it. At the very least I have peace of mind that I have someone to fall back on if there is a bad situation or an accident. Hope this helps.
Old 08/03/2005, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Excellent feedback. Thanks guys. I guess I will be purchasing this after all. Thanks again.
Old 08/03/2005, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

They'll cover lost/stolen gear, trip delays, flooded camera gear, deco chamber/medical expenses, and even accidental death (God forbid). If you only take one trip per year and your bag with all your equipment is lost or you flood your digital camera, it seems well worth it to me. It's like auto insurance; everyone hates to pay the premium until your car's totaled by some uninsured meat head. I've never had a dive trip ruined by some unforseen incident, but I'd sure hate for it to happen, especially when I'm on the other side of the planet on some third world island. Spend the $40: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/index.asp
Old 08/03/2005, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

From what I understand, the $40 buys you the accident insurance. The equipment coverage is a whole separate deal where you have to tell them what equipment you have, how much you paid for it, etc. and then they send you a quote for how much it will cost you to cover it.
Old 08/03/2005, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidgottlieb
From what I understand, the $40 buys you the accident insurance. The equipment coverage is a whole separate deal where you have to tell them what equipment you have, how much you paid for it, etc. and then they send you a quote for how much it will cost you to cover it.
That's my understanding as well thought it's been awhile since I really read it. I won't even step on a dive boat without DAN coverage. Heck, one year of coverage is less than the cost of a single charter. Mine has recently lapsed because I can't dive for awhile, but the second I'm able to get back to it, my membership gets renewed first.

For what it's worth, I've always used DEPP instead of DAN for my equipment insurance.
Old 08/05/2005, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

I too would never dive without it. Because I do technical diving, DAN insurance is a requirement by all technical agencies and the dive operators that I use. I use the "Master Plan" for $65 that covers accidents for "any gas, any depth". Medical treatment is expensive; one ride in the chamber will costs at least $3000. Add a few more thousand if you have to be airlifted.

I don't know what sort of diving you do, but the "Standard Plan" covers depths only up to $130 feet. If you get injured because you were caught in a down-welling over a wall and wound up at 150 feet (even for a minute), you won't be covered.
Old 08/06/2005, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Would never leave home & dive without out!
Old 08/12/2005, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Get it or get BENT!
Randy
Old 08/12/2005, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Standard Plan" covers depths only up to $130 feet. If you get injured because you were caught in a down-welling over a wall and wound up at 150 feet (even for a minute), you won't be covered.

I did'ent read my plan very well, i might need to upgrade or lose my computer if i go deep and get bent.
Randy
Old 08/13/2005, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

I'm a new diver and I have it. Insurance is for emergencies. Hopfully you'll never need it, but if you do. You'll be glad you have it.

Tim
Old 08/15/2005, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

I got it. However, the $40 only covers you to be flown out to a US approved medical facility. It does not cover a ride in the chamber. That is just for your DAN membership. Then you have to spend an extra $25 to have coverage for the chamber per person. So, I did it and now I'm covered. Went diving in the gulf this weekend and had an awesome time.
Old 08/18/2005, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

Call your insurance company and talk to them. Once you get past explaining what a diver is to the person on the phone, you will find out a lot of insurance companies consider it an X-tream sport and wont cover certian things.
With DANs, you get coverage not only for you, but equipment, special airlift rides and Chamber stays . that is Assuming you get the right coverage from them. Well worth it IMHO.

I didnt beleive it at first either, but I started asking question to my insurance company and then DAN to find out what advantage having DAN coverage brings.
Old 09/14/2005, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Make sure you get the Premium Plan. The other stuff won't handle all problems and evacuations if needed. It's only $99 a year.

And if you are diving, you have $99. so don't be cheap.