Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2005, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

ozone questions

does anyone have any experience with this ozone reactor http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Reef-Ta...ayphotohosting

it is a bit to much ozone for my tank if i only need .18mg/g/hr
so how do i controll how much it puts out

also i am supposed to run carbon in my sump correct with ozone

and the only other things i would need with this would be an airdryer, ozone reactor, and orp controller

thanks for all the help
Old 08/15/2005, 07:28 PM
Reef Chemist

I would always pass ozonated water over carbon before letting it into the tank. I've never used that or any ozonizer, however.

You cannot dial it back somehow? I'd put it on an ORP controller, if nothing more than that.
Old 08/15/2005, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

will the orp controller regulate the amount being injected into the water and does the carbon have to have the ozone water run directly over it or can the carbon just be in the sump
Old 08/15/2005, 08:38 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

That is a 200mg unit, that is huge !!!!! So, do you have a 400-600 gal tank ??? And that unit is just on all the time DANGEROUS if no controller. I do not know where you got that .18 from but std is .3-.5 mg / g , So, 200 / .18, you are saying you have a 800- 1,000 gal tank

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 08/15/2005, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

so i would need about 22 mg/hr for a 55 g tank and if i bought a 200 mg unit i would be ok as long as i had a controller

ps i will have a controller no matter what size unit i go with cause im paranoid about security

will the orp controller regulate the amount being injected into the water and does the carbon have to have the ozone water run directly over it or can the carbon just be in the sump
Old 08/15/2005, 10:17 PM

I would get a 25 mg unit or a 50 mg unit. , with a dial controll on it.

if i bought a 200 mg unit i would be ok as long as i had a controller

That is way to big, it has no way to control the output. A controller will keep it in check as far as ORP goes, when it is on it is still 200 mg. What if something goes wrong with that controller. ? That is a dosage that is 8-10 x higher than std dosage. That controller will be turning off and on like a machinegun This unit is way way to big for the skimmer you have, even with a contoller. It will destroy bubble formation and may even produce some chlorine gas......
Old 08/16/2005, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

I use the same ozonizer on my 90. Its on a controller and the controller is on a timer which runs 4 hours a day. Is this still a problem?
Old 08/17/2005, 12:18 AM

Deuce

Now that is smart way to do it, a conrtoller and if it fails a timer to back it up. It is much less of a probem for you with 90 gals and twice the water volume but that is still allot of ozone hitting that skimmer at 4 x. If IS ran it at 10 x I would bet it would kill everything that enters the skimmer, you may be close.

Are you seen any problems with bubble collapse at the level when it is running ? I hope you are post treating with GAC. Also do you have a dryer ? Without one it would almost cut the output in half so you would be near 2 x, so no problem, IMHO, running it that way. If no dryer you wll still be left with the problem of all that moist air and it reacting with ozone and producing Nitric acid, which can damage the ozone unit and increase nitrate and lower pH.

HNO3 ---> H+ + NO3-

Have you yet taking it apart to see if there is any nitric acid damage or are you running a dryer ??

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 08/17/2005, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

I have a dryer but it only lasted 2 days so I just took it off. It is hooked up to my skimmer and the output is dumping in a basket with GAC. Ill take it apart to see if theres any damage. It doesnt seem the bubbles collapes. From my observation, before it starts, the ORP reading is generally around 310-320mv. I have the controller set at 365. It takes about an hour to hit the controller setting and shuts it off. It comes back on and off frequently during those 4 hours. I have been running it this way for 2 weeks now. Maybe I should decrease the time to 2 to 3 hours. I love the result though. Coming home from work to a crystal clear tank. Thanks.