Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2005, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

One-way mirror

My nine year old nephew suggested a one-way mirror for the front panel of my planned 400 gal in-wall reef tank. He believes that the fish will not be frightened by people viewing the tank. My present 265 gal tank has 2 mated pairs of clowns, both of which reside in anemones adjacent to the front panel, and one of which spawns, but irregularly. My nephew believes that these clowns will be happier, and I am wondering whether this will encourage spawning. He thinks that viewers of the tank will be better able to see fish and other inhabitants of the tank, who will not hide when he or others approach. What do you think?
Old 08/15/2005, 08:59 AM
SCMAS Member

Your nephew is a very inventive little boy. I think that is a great idea, with the only drawback being the fish seeing their own reflection and attacking the glass. But you never know til you try. If you have some two way sitting around maybe you can try it for a couple of days and see how it works.
Old 08/15/2005, 09:10 AM
a Buffer fish

I thought about that once also. But the main problem is it dim your veiw alot. Everything on the outside looks darker.
Old 08/15/2005, 10:27 AM
Addicted Student

Probably won't work. The fish would probably freak out.

BTW, when my fish see my face, they all come out and are anxious for food. It took a few months, but they all now know my face. When other faces come up, though, they hide. Smart creatures......
Old 08/15/2005, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

i put mirrors on the back of my 110 when i first set it up. My yellow tang would beat it self up pretty bad by going after that "other damn yellow tang" lol.. so i took them off nd every fish i had seemed happier
Old 08/15/2005, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

I was thinking that a one-way mirror would also help reflect light within the tank.
Old 08/15/2005, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

yeah, it'd be like looking at your tank with sunglasses, everything brown'er.

-MatthewM
Old 08/15/2005, 12:07 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

What about the light reflection? Wouldn't the reflection of the light off of the mirror cause problems?
Old 08/15/2005, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking about using 5% window tint as a background.