Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2005, 11:59 AM
Robotic Overlord

Vegetarian Trigger Fish!!!

I have a FO tank with a Niger Trigger, HUGE Clarkii clown, Yellow Tang and Lionfish. When I clip seaweed to the side for the tang the trigger and clarkii are over there in a flash and the feeding freenzy begins with the trigger and clarkii tearing huge chunks out of the seaweed and eating it and the YT darting in to nibble on it.

Anyone else have a trigger that likes veggies???
Old 08/07/2005, 12:02 PM
Moved On

very interesting. you know that all your tanks are too small for these fish.
Old 08/07/2005, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

I have a blue throat that eats nori from the clip and anything else I add to the tank. Its great when it goes for the clip because it grabs the nori and shakes like a dog scattering lots of smaller pieces for the other fish.
Old 08/07/2005, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

my niger trigger has been eating seaweed from the clip for as long as i have had him i thought it was normal.
Old 08/07/2005, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clown926
Always a person to rain on someone's parade.

dwculp, that's very interesting. A friend of mine had a Niger Trigger for about a year and all it ate were meaty foods - never any veggies.
Old 08/07/2005, 12:45 PM
840>420

Quote:
Originally posted by Clown926
what nerve... did you even mind to ask the size of the fish. a baby niger can be an inch long. a 1" long niger does not need a 300g tank.
Old 08/07/2005, 12:48 PM
Robotic Overlord

I just ignored the comment. The only fish that has the potential to outgrow the 75 is a the Niger and he is small at the moment. The dwarf lion, YT and clarkii clown can all live happily ever after in the tank. I am planning a 220 gallon FO upgrade in the future!!!

I see you have a tank with black sand, do you have any pics of it? I was thinking of starting a small tank with black sand, I think it would look cool and really bring out the colors of some fish!
Old 08/07/2005, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

wasnt raining on the "parade" i just thought it was normal if its not thats awsome because then we both got special triggers.... the picasso i had also ate the seaweed thats another reason why i thought it was normal.
Old 08/07/2005, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

i honestly wasnt trying to be a jerk. if that was rude i spologize. i really just thought it normal all my fish eat from the clip.once again if that was rude sorry.
Old 08/07/2005, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

my niger and my huma huma both eat seaweed.
Old 08/07/2005, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXH6
i honestly wasnt trying to be a jerk. if that was rude i spologize. i really just thought it normal all my fish eat from the clip.once again if that was rude sorry.

I dont think they were talking to you. They were talking to the guy that said " did you know your tank isnt big enough for any of those fish"
Old 08/07/2005, 01:14 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXH6
No, no, no, they were not refering to you!! LOL
Old 08/07/2005, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

oh ok cool. just makin sure.
Old 08/07/2005, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Most of my 30+ puffers ranging in size from 3 inches to 26 inches will eat nori eagerily! They will also eat frozen peas, spinach & broccoli as well. I try to give them "greens" at least 1 -2 times a week.

My 9- 10 year old epaulettes will even eat the frozen peas.

Kelly
Old 08/07/2005, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

My niger and my pair of bluejaws out eat my reagal tang whenever nori is put in the tank. It's rather funny to watch. I, too, thought it was odd at first, now I'm sure it's normal?!

--jenny
Old 08/08/2005, 09:10 AM
Moved On

sorry i was being a jerk. i should have asked what size they were.
Old 08/08/2005, 09:34 AM
Robotic Overlord

Hey, no problem!!
Old 08/09/2005, 06:14 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
Quote:
Originally posted by I like Triggers
what nerve... did you even mind to ask the size of the fish. a baby niger can be an inch long. a 1" long niger does not need a 300g tank.
No, this was a reasonable statement - many people do not know how large a tank triggers need - and most triggers in the hobby are kept in tanks too small for them to thrive.

Though it could have been more tactfully put
Old 08/09/2005, 06:19 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

A substantial part of most triggerfishes diet includes algae or other vegetable matter. This is perfectly normal behavior, and actually almost all triggers should be offered some vegetable preparation on a regular basis, especially nigers and Rhinecanthus species triggers. These species can consume up to 30-60% of their diet in algae on any given day. Actually algae availability is the territorial factor for many triggerfish - the more algae there is, the smaller area a trigger fish will defend, and the less algae the larger the area the trigger will protect from intruders who want to steal "their" algae.

Triggers are true omnivores, not carnivores like many people think.

For the records, I highly recommend to continue giving them some sort of seaweed and algae. It's high in fiber too
Old 08/09/2005, 09:11 AM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by spamin76
A substantial part of most triggerfishes diet includes algae or other vegetable matter. This is perfectly normal behavior, and actually almost all triggers should be offered some vegetable preparation on a regular basis, especially nigers and Rhinecanthus species triggers. These species can consume up to 30-60% of their diet in algae on any given day. Actually algae availability is the territorial factor for many triggerfish - the more algae there is, the smaller area a trigger fish will defend, and the less algae the larger the area the trigger will protect from intruders who want to steal "their" algae.

Triggers are true omnivores, not carnivores like many people think.

For the records, I highly recommend to continue giving them some sort of seaweed and algae. It's high in fiber too
Thanks for the information!! Now I know I dont have a weird Niger Trigger!!

However, even my lionfish gets in on the seaweed feeding action from time to time!!
Old 08/10/2005, 06:45 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Seaweed is very high in certain trace elements that any fish can use. Some species of kelp have enough iodine to meet the dietary needs of a human for several days . Fish need these trace elements too - also the veggies are a good source of fiber, and believe it or not, this helps keep fish healthy and helps prevent constipation
Old 08/12/2005, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

My Clown Trigger eats seaweed like crazy. I've had him for over two years now and he's put on a little weight and muscle. So much so that he world tear the seaweed right out of the clip and swim around with the 1/4 sheet of seaweed hanging from his mouth while he devoured it.........no class eh!
Now I soak the seaweed in water for a few minutes to soften it up before attaching it to the clip. This way he only tears off a small piece instead of the whole sheet.

Dave
Old 08/12/2005, 04:04 PM
LTQ-MS FTW!

I can just see a CT swimming around with a sheet of nori hanging out of it's mouth...trying to eat it as he swims....