Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/01/2005, 06:45 PM

Angry Almost burnt the place down

Went away last weekend for a little trip ,and the nanocube I bought for my son at chrismas almost burnt the house down.

I bought it used and was modded by the previous owner with 2x28w pc's ,but as you can see waterproof endcaps weren't used. I'm pretty sure that is what caused the issue here. I should've known better....

Needless to say it was a pretty scary ordeal for the whole family ,and Im so thankful we didn't come home to a burnt pile of rubble where the house should've been. I guess the moral of the story is when in doubt always over engineer.
Old 08/01/2005, 09:23 PM
RC Sponsor

I could be wrong but I do not believe the nanocubes come with waterproof endcaps even when stock. No 100% sure though.

sucks this happened, glad it was nothing worse
Old 08/02/2005, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Most of the PC's I have seen have no waterproof endcaps they rely on the plexiglass shield in the light to provide the protection, and without the plexiglass there is no protection at all
Old 08/03/2005, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Glad to hear every thing is ok. I learned my lesson too. I had a surge protector fail and melt down when i was away for a weekend. I agree it is critical to over engineer...
Old 08/03/2005, 09:30 PM
Moved On

WOw, that looks bad. Glad it didn't turn into a disaster. What happened to tank inhabitants?

I've been shocked more times than I can count. Just today I went to get something out of the tank and got shocked. I don't understand it, but somehow the strip light made contact with the water. I also don't get how the animals and corals were all ok. The only thing I can think of is that the electrical current wasn't enough to go through the tank, so it just stayed at the surface. BUt who knows? I'm just glad everything was ok. Now I have an extra shield over that light.
Old 08/04/2005, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Hi Sihaya,

If your getting shocked when you stick your hand in your tank you better find the source of the problem. That shock could kill you. If it's just a few stray volts from say a pum then get a titanium ground rod and put it in your tank or sump, just my humble opinion.

Dave
Old 08/04/2005, 08:57 PM
Moved On

Humm I guess that wasnt the sweet deal it once was (the deal on that system from the fella from Columbus) it just shows pay me now or
pay me later sorry but you should have ponied up the cash and bought
a new one perhaps you wouldnt have had this problem or for what its worth you could have collected on some form of liability from the mfg.
Old 08/04/2005, 09:12 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Burgman
Hi Sihaya,

If your getting shocked when you stick your hand in your tank you better find the source of the problem. That shock could kill you. If it's just a few stray volts from say a pum then get a titanium ground rod and put it in your tank or sump, just my humble opinion.

Dave
No... like I said in my post I found the problem and it's all fixed. I also have one of those things that protects you if you're ever getting electrocuted.
Old 08/05/2005, 07:12 AM
Moved On

lesson to all -- Salt Creep / water and electricity are not friends, a good deal can cost you a lot more in the end. use your noggin and think ahead of what could happen. this man could have lost his house and/or his parents (?) trying to use a junk light fixture.
saving a bucks good if you get a factory built item cheap. but watch those retro's it doesnt look like the person that he got it from had any electrical engineering skills. Mom and Dad would be TICKED !! Keep those Drip loops hangin !!
Old 08/05/2005, 11:39 AM
Moved On

There's this spray by coral life you can get that prevents salt creep pretty well. I didn't believe it when I saw it, but it does work. You just have to be carefull not spray it in the water.
Old 08/06/2005, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sihaya
There's this spray by coral life you can get that prevents salt creep pretty well. I didn't believe it when I saw it, but it does work. You just have to be carefull not spray it in the water.
I got a bottle of this too, but I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone know how it works and what happens if some gets in a tank?
Old 08/09/2005, 01:27 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhodophyta
I got a bottle of this too, but I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone know how it works and what happens if some gets in a tank?

I don't know, but it's easy not to get it in the tank. Just hold a piece of cardboard behind it.